“Outstanding location, huge rooms” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #39 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Outstanding location, huge rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here recently to look at GW University for my son.
You cannot beat the location of this hotel.
Walk to monuments and walk to GW. wow.
Huge huge rooms, room a little old and the bathroom a little small, but the location of the hotel and the size of the rooms offset any negatives.
Parking overnight is $32, but that is not bad for where the hotel is.

Breakfast is way way overpriced, $14.95 for a small small buffet, but again, given the size of the room and the location of the hotel, a small price to pay.

As a hint, you can get a great price for this hotel at a site that rhymes with velocity

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear hermsherm,

Thank you for your review and we're glad you fund our hotel in an outstanding location and that you were able to take advantage of our huge rooms. I have sent your review to our restaurant manager to see if there is anything we can do to improve on our breakfast buffet. We are currently renovating the hotel and the bathrooms will be updated. Hope you'll come and check it out the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had stayed at the State Plaza many years ago and was not impressed at the time. I did not, however, regret my decision to give it another try recently. To my delight, I found that the hotel had been significantly refurbished. My room was spacious and, except for the carpet, was quite clean and well appointed. ( I have come to the conclusion that even the best of hotels across the globe seem to find maintaining clean carpets a challenge). The bed was comfortable and the towels and bed linens very clean. The service was great - very helpful, friendly staff. For those persons doing business the international organizations in DC, such as the OAS and PAHO, the location of the State Plaza is ideal. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when I return to DC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MsTraveller48
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spent 6 nights in D.C. and after reading number of reviews decided on the State Plaza. Arrived late on a Monday but the staff was nice and helpful in getting me checked in. Massive room for only one person but couldn't pass up the deal. Relatively close to the metro and only a few blocks from the Mall and the White House. The only drawback would be the having the room closest to the lobby (literally right out the door from me) was that you could hear people coming and going day and night. Overall a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bahoo1
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Bahoo1,

We're gald you had a pleasant trip to DC and that we could be a part of it. The State Plaza Hotel used to be all condos and the room you stayed was considered a one bedroom suite basically. This is why our rooms are larger than your typical hotel room. We hope to welcome you again someday and thank you for taking the time to review us.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed during our spring break - March 9-16 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We flew into Reagan National and took a taxi - $18 - to the hotel. It was close to midnight when we arrived, but the desk and doorman immediately stepped forward and helped and answered some tourist questions. Check in was fast and effortless. We had a room with a kitchen, parlor room, bathroom and two queen beds. Very comfortable. The only negative comment, no A/C. Being from Texas we like our rooms very cool at night - front desk told us to just opened the windows. What a wonderful idea. It worked. Also they gave us a box fan - free of charge. The kitchen was a little limited in the dishes. Luckily we ended up eating out every meal because we never found any pots or pans.

On the hotel: This hotel is located in the heart of the George Washington University. It takes up a complete block with entrances on "E" and "F" street, between 19th and 20th streets. It reminded me of dorm rooms with a connecting basement. We were on the 6th floor and our room was directly across the way from a business office. It was pretty funny on Monday when I opened the curtains and there was a man working at his desk across the way. Luckily I saw him first and closed the curtains. Didn't have that problem again! The elevator was slow - we had read about that on an earlier review - but was always available. The hotel is about 3 blocks from the metro - Foggy Bottom - and 3 blocks the other way to Lincoln Memorial and tour stops and easy walking distance to the White House. There is a CVS next door on "E" street and a very small grocery store on "F". A little pricey. I can't say it enough......Location Location Location. Also the price was very reasonable!

On the staff: Our maid service - Sandra - was absolute wonderful. She kept us in fresh towels and a clean room. The rooms are a little dated but clean. I've stayed in worse. Could use an overhaul of the carpet, paint and bathroom. We loved the beds and all the comfy pillows. My only negative comment is that I sincerely believe that ALL front desk workers should know their surroundings. They should know all restaurants, grocery stores, buses and metro stops within walking distance. As a tourist, there is only so much you can understand from looking at Mapquest or other reviews. You need first hand experience.

Overall, I would give this hotel a good rating. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If we ever plan on coming to DC again, I will stay here!!

3 Thank JKKTEXAS
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had quite the mess up with our reservations here. I'd made reservations well in advance and only later did I find that we'd only be allowed to have 3 adults in a room. Mysteriously I had one more reservation show up under my name that I didn't make and I tired to work out a solution to the problem with the reservation manager. She insisted that even though I made reservations on line for 4 (two queens beds) that they'd only allow 3 people. I told her that the website allows for the selection of 5 people per room and she argued with me about it. I even went so far as to make a "screen print" of the reservation process. (The hotel needs to change their website to notify people of this. ) In addition I had made the reservations in advance so I could not cancel them without incurring a charge for the full price.
In the end, the hotel manager worked with me to cancel a portion of our reservation, which worked for me. This hotel has is a great location for walking to the National Mall, & the subway.
The room was nice, although a little odd because it was formerly an apartment. Overall, the hotel was good, I'd stay again based on the price & location. Just be sure you check your reservation and understand what they allow for people in the room.

Room Tip: Make sure you check with the hotel to know if you can have more than 3 adults in a room
1 Thank Steven W
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I made a quick overnight trip to DC for a concert and found this hotel. Of course I reviewed Trip Advisor before booking. Getting to the hotel via my GPS was easy. It is in the PERFECT location if you want to visit and do a lot of the national attractions (Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, etc). The checkin and check out process was easy, Having valet parking (a cost of $32 per night +tax) was nice, so you don't have to worry about where the heck to park in DC. We parked our car and just used cabs to get to the Verizon Center area. The hotel is older, but in my opinion it is kept up and renovated nicely. Our room was VERY spacious. We did not need a kitchen, but it had it. I told my husband that when he and I go to DC for a tourist trip, we WILL be staying at the State Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear LIRich,

We're glad you found our hotel convenient while visiting Washington DC. We hope the concert was enjoyable and that we will have another opportunity to welcome you the The State Plaza Hotel on your next visit. Take care.
Tempe, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Clean, wonderful staff - cannot say enough good! Highly recommended. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable, kitchenettes in each room, very large rooms, location in the heart of George Washington University makes it easy to get anywhere in town.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear AZRobert1,

It was wonderful to have read your review. Not only because it was flattering to our staff, but mostly because you had a wonderful stay with us. This is what we aim to accomplish and we hope we'll have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you.