“Reasonable Foggy Bottom location” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #39 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Wayland, Massachusetts
“Reasonable Foggy Bottom location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

We have two sons attending The George Washington University, so we have stayed at State Plaza a few times over the last 3 years. First of all, it is right on the edge of campus, so that one can walk to center campus in 10 minutes. It also is within 3 long city blocks of the Mall and the White House. The Hotel was formerly two apartment houses that have been converted to hotel rooms. There are two entrances which can be confusing. The elevators are very slow and when the hotel is buzy, the wait takes forever.

We tried the restuarant for lunch on a very rainy day in November and found the food and service very good. It seems many folks working at the University and the government offices nearby frequent the resturant for lunch. One of my sons goes there often on Monday night, as they have half price hamburger platters for GW students.

The beds are very comfortable. The TV is a HD. The room thermostats seem old and cranky, which makes regulating the room temp a bit difficult. The widows do open. Room rate on a non busy weekend was only $98.00 nightly, which is very reasonable in DC.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a lower floor so that you can use the stairs when the elevators are very busy.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Rangeley12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I really liked that there was a dressing room with a dressing table and lamps and the room was quite large, but the rooms just felt dirty. I know the building is an older building, but I think the walls need a good scrubbing or to be painted, more/better lighting would also help as it was hard to get any work done (I was traveling for work) with such dim lights. Also, the hotel needs wi-fi. Wired internet was available, but wi-fi would be a major improvement. Lastly, the elevators are up about 6 stairs, which seems inappropriate for today's accessibility standards, but more over it's just awkward to lug suitcases up and down those stairs. I would not

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank aja9p9
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

My entire family stayed here the first weekend in November 2011 to attend a graduation. Hotel room was very large with a full kitchen and changing room. Hotel is in walking distance to the mall which was awesome. We arrived early with our luggage and was able to store our belongings until check-in at 3pm. Only draw backs were the lack of restaurants close by, some outlets didn't work, and a slightly musty smell in the room initially. My parents had a microwave and we did not. Also I needed 2 double beds and they charged extra but my parents only reserved a single for $20 less a night and ended up getting a double for the price of a single. I felt a little cheated when I knew what they got for cheaper. My parents drove and they had to pay $36 per night for parking which was a bit extreme.
All in all I would stay at this hotel again. It was in a nice quiet area but still close to the momuments, clean, classy, all for budget prices. Had a great weekend staying there!

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Slzst2
DOSatSP, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Sizst2,

We're glad for the opportunity to host your entire family's visit to Washington DC. We're happy you enjoyed our facilities. We are double checking are outlets in our rooms to make sure they all work and the slight musty smell should be eliminated soon.

Sorry about the confusion in the double room. We actually charge by the number of people occupying the room rather than the room type so we had inadvertently charged your parents for only 1 person staying in the room rather than two.

We hope to see you again in your next visit to Washington DC!
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is not the most up-to-date hotel in terms of furnishings, but it the rooms are spacious and the location is excellent for sightseeing and business. The staff is friendly and helpful which makes this a great value and a good location for travel to DC.

Room Tip: choose the building that faces E Street if possible
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Lazonia
Dear Lazonia,

It was our pleasure to serve you and we're glad you found our location convenient for you plans in Washington DC. We hope to see you again in the future.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is the type of hotel that drives me crazy because it would take very little effort to make it a really great place to stay, but currently it is not. First the good - Large rooms, wonderful location. I brought my 86 year old father to visit his grand daughter at GWU, and the location could not be better for that. There is a CVS next door, so you can load up on waters etc (24 hour i think). Starbucks about a block away. Whole Foods is close, Capital, monuments etc. close enough for me to walk to, not for my 86 year old father. But i don't think you could really be much closer.
Now the not so good and the bad - the first problem we encountered was a complete lack of help/interest from the valet/bell staff. When i pulled up (we drove in in a rental car) and stopped in front, no one came out. I had to ask for help with the bags and to have the car parked (small valet lot only, no self parking. Valet parking expensive, but i can't say if it was more expensive than at any other city hotel). We had this problem each time we arrived back at the hotel from walking or exiting a cab, I could see the hotel staff through the entrance hanging out at the front desk, just talking. Not once did anyone come open the door or come out and offer help. My father uses a cane and it takes him about 5 minutes to get out of a vehicle. They would watch us struggle. I would often have my coat, fathers coat, packages, bottled water, etc.
The second problem we encountered was worse. I booked the rooms online on their web site but then called to confirm and make sure that there were elevators to each floor. I explained my father was unable to walk up and down stairs. They assured me there were elevators and there would be no problem. When we arrived - while it was true the elevators went to all floors, you had to go UP about 6 stairs (with a handrail that did not go the entire length) to get to the first floor to GET ON the elevator. I asked if there was another way, and was told no. My father was able to make it up and down, but there were 2 instances when he decided to stay in his room and not go out because i know he dreaded the stairs. If you are in a wheelchair, or are traveling with someone in a wheelchair, or someone who is not able AT ALL to negotiate stairs - DO NOT STAY HERE.
As for the rooms, we were on different floors and the rooms were quite different. My father was on the 6th floor and his room was nicer than mine (3rd floor) mainly due to the configuration. My fathers was much more open and he had a king size bed in his room. Mine was smaller and had a queen size bed in the room. In theory they should have been exactly the same. They both had kitchenettes and sitting rooms. I did not like my room because it was dark and each room was separated from each other down little hallways. I'm not sure that makes sense, and i doubt it would bother everyone. What would bother everyone was the smell in my room - very musty/moldy smelling (fathers was fine). mainly in the sitting room. we were only there 2 nights so i did not bother to move - as the bedroom did not smell.
In general the rooms were not clean enough for me, but i am the first to admit i am what people kindly refer to as a "clean freak". It is the type of hotel room that appears clean, but when you take a look at - say the lampshade, there is a huge layer of dust on the top rim. The vent above the shower also caked with dust - made me shudder to look at it.
The bed was ok for me, but the pillows were not. they were hard foam ones. I called down to request something different, they said they would look and about 30 minutes later i had to call back. They did not find any they said, but it didn't seem as if they were going to bother to let me know. I also had to call when i could not get the bedroom window closed again after opening it for some fresh air. No screens so i was unwilling to leave it open all night. Someone finally came up, with the attitude that i must be doing something wrong. Well it took him 20 minutes and standing on a chair to get it closed. it was off the track and while i was closed it was not "air tight" at the bottom. It was to be fixed the next day, but was not.
The bathrooms are VERY SMALL and there is little room for any of your toiletries. My father had a very difficult time, as the toilet is VERY LOW, lower than any other hotel room toilet i have ever seen in the USA. Lower than any i have ever seen in a residence anywhere. Ditto for the sink. No grab bars near toilet make it very difficult for him to get off the toilet. Also, NO GRAB BARS in tub shower. I found this really hard to believe, especially as it is a shower over tub, so you have to climb in, as opposed to walk in. If you are aged, infirm, dizzy, prone to falls, DO NOT STAY HERE. Now to be fair, i did not ask if they had a room with grab bars in the bathroom, but in 2011 in a hotel where we were paying WELL over 200 dollars a night, i didn't think i had to.
Which brings me to another major problem. NO wi-fi (except in the small lobby in the front). I think in 2011 in the nations capital at a hotel that is frequently over 200 dollars a night - you should have access (free or paid) to wi-fi. Now, they did have plug in ethernets in the rooms, so that might be good enough. Since i traveled this trip with just my IPAD, i had no access. I used the business center to print out boarding passes. The business center is 2 pc's each with a printer attached. One printer worked, one did not.
Each room had a safe (not very clean) but if you are short or disabled, it would be difficult to use. It is located on the top shelf in the closet (well mine was).
Sorry this is so long - feel free to ask me questions.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MsFrost
Dear MsFrost,

Thank you for staying with us. We're glad you found our location convenient to GWU during your visit. We've addressed your concerns and have created action plans that we plan to follow through for consistency and continued improvements. We are making sure that our bellman are always at their station at the front door ready to assist Guests and for all our Front Office Staff to be more attentive and anticipate Guest needs. We've also addressed the musty smell by creating a project to clean and check all HVAC units in the rooms and doing whatever else is necessary to make sure this smell is eliminated. It might have only in your room but we will take these steps for each room just as a precautionary measure.

We can arrange a room for your father next time on our lobby level where he can have a short walk from the garage where there will be no stairs whatsoever. Let us know of this request and we'll make sure to block his room accordingly.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in your next visit to Washington DC as we are confident you will notice our efforts to improve our services and amenities.
Holdenville, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel back in January. It is a bit off the beaten path but well worth the price. I like the neighborhood, not so touristy. It's a clean and safe hotel, really good for a solo traveler that doesn't mind exploring and walking a bit. It's really close to the White House and the West End of The Mall.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Monteelo
Cincinnati
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Let's start with the good: location was great for my business trip (Kennedy Center), walking to K Street businesses and shopping, Georgetown is walkable, 2 Starbucks within 3 blocks (one is a 24 hour Sun-Thurs), great new Whole Foods, and all Smithsonians and monuments within a 1.5 walking distance. Large rooms with a dressing room and table (awesome). I was there for 8 nights, so it was a suite with a "kitchen".
Now for the negative: Every shower except for 1 (which we are talking 7 out of 8) I was continually adjusting the temp because it turned ice cold and then extremely hot. This is totally unacceptable in the 21st century. Internet was with a cable and would cut out on me during most every time I hooked up. Trying to do business in the hotel room online was really a challenge. The kitchen had 4 gas burners, no oven, no dishwasher, no can opener, one large cooking pot with a lid (no skillet, no small pans, etc), no dishtowels or sponges to clean dishes or counters. I did ask for a microwave and they delivered one for me to use. The cleaning staff did any dirty dishes that I had used, which did help that situation.
The staff was nice, but management isn't very knowledgeable about what staff to put in front of the public. They sent a young lady around to distribute bottles of water in the early evening and she was able to ask if you needed anything. Why she bothered asking, I haven't a clue, since she seemed not to understand any English. I just happened to come across my iron that had scum all over the plate of it. I showed it to her and tried to make her understand that I needed another clean iron, but it was useless and I finally gave up. I've housed 3 foreign exchange students, each for a year, from Germany, Czech Republic, and Turkey, so getting my point across to a non-English speaking person is not a new venture for me. This is the fault of management.
My feelings on this hotel are really mixed. The room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The daily refreshing of the linens was superb (these maids know how to really make a bed). But, the shower problem was a big negative and for me a huge concern. So glad that I didn't have any children with me, because the chance of getting scalded in these showers is quite possible.
Internet problems are also a non-negotiable issue. If you advertise free internet in the rooms then you better have internet 24/7. Too many hotels are getting away with claiming that they have internet in all the rooms, and yet it isn't there half of the time. (Personally I've found the Hampton Hotel chain the only reliable internet hotel consistently).
Kennedy Center was a 12-15 minute walk. Very easy, and I also walked it at night with no problems. There is a very good chance that I will be staying here again the next time I am in DC on business (I don't do the hotel booking). Maybe the hotel will correct some of these flaws before I come back ???

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank KCmusiclady
DOSatSP, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear KCmusiclady,

Thank you for your review. We're committed to improving our services and you've pointed out very valid concerns. We will strive to improve on them. We will look at how we staff our front office and make sure they can communicate effectively.

We are also planning to do some updates for our rooms as soon as January. For the meantime, we are currently experimenting with different vendors who can provide us with the best internet connection for all our Guest rooms and I am confident that his issue will soon be resolved. We will also make sure that you receive everything you'll need in your kitchen on your next visit. We look forward to serving you once again.