$107
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $119/night.

$130
$115
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of $171/night.

Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$137
$119
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $145/night.

$118
$99
Savings alert! 46% below average rates

The price you found is 46% lower than this hotel's average rate of $184/night.

The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$170
Dupont Circle
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$166
$159
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $199/night.

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$142
$119
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $169/night.

Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$233
$207
$180
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 46% below average rates

The price you found is 46% lower than this hotel's average rate of $336/night.

Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$139
$125
Capitol Hill
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $167/night.

1,931 results
All reviewslincoln memorialdressing roomfull kitchenfoggy bottomnorth towergarden cafewhite houseliquor storewithin walking distancestove topdressing areaseparate kitchenminute walkgw universityfew blockswhole foodsworld bank
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I really liked that there was a dressing room with a dressing table and lamps and the room was quite large, but the rooms just felt dirty. I know the building is an older building, but I think the walls need a good scrubbing or to be painted, more/better lighting would also help as it was hard to get any work done (I was traveling for work) with such dim lights. Also, the hotel needs wi-fi. Wired internet was available, but wi-fi would be a major improvement. Lastly, the elevators are up about 6 stairs, which seems inappropriate for today's accessibility standards, but more over it's just awkward to lug suitcases up and down those stairs. I would not

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank aja9p9
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My entire family stayed here the first weekend in November 2011 to attend a graduation. Hotel room was very large with a full kitchen and changing room. Hotel is in walking distance to the mall which was awesome. We arrived early with our luggage and was able to store our belongings until check-in at 3pm. Only draw backs were the lack of restaurants close by, some outlets didn't work, and a slightly musty smell in the room initially. My parents had a microwave and we did not. Also I needed 2 double beds and they charged extra but my parents only reserved a single for $20 less a night and ended up getting a double for the price of a single. I felt a little cheated when I knew what they got for cheaper. My parents drove and they had to pay $36 per night for parking which was a bit extreme.
All in all I would stay at this hotel again. It was in a nice quiet area but still close to the momuments, clean, classy, all for budget prices. Had a great weekend staying there!

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Slzst2
DOSatSP, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Dear Sizst2,

We're glad for the opportunity to host your entire family's visit to Washington DC. We're happy you enjoyed our facilities. We are double checking are outlets in our rooms to make sure they all work and the slight musty smell should be eliminated soon.

Sorry about the confusion in the double room. We actually charge by the number of people occupying the room rather than the room type so we had inadvertently charged your parents for only 1 person staying in the room rather than two.

We hope to see you again in your next visit to Washington DC!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is not the most up-to-date hotel in terms of furnishings, but it the rooms are spacious and the location is excellent for sightseeing and business. The staff is friendly and helpful which makes this a great value and a good location for travel to DC.

Room Tip: choose the building that faces E Street if possible
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Lazonia

Dear Lazonia,

It was our pleasure to serve you and we're glad you found our location convenient for you plans in Washington DC. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is the type of hotel that drives me crazy because it would take very little effort to make it a really great place to stay, but currently it is not. First the good - Large rooms, wonderful location. I brought my 86 year old father to visit his grand daughter at GWU, and the location could not be better for that. There is a CVS next door, so you can load up on waters etc (24 hour i think). Starbucks about a block away. Whole Foods is close, Capital, monuments etc. close enough for me to walk to, not for my 86 year old father. But i don't think you could really be much closer.
Now the not so good and the bad - the first problem we encountered was a complete lack of help/interest from the valet/bell staff. When i pulled up (we drove in in a rental car) and stopped in front, no one came out. I had to ask for help with the bags and to have the car parked (small valet lot only, no self parking. Valet parking expensive, but i can't say if it was more expensive than at any other city hotel). We had this problem each time we arrived back at the hotel from walking or exiting a cab, I could see the hotel staff through the entrance hanging out at the front desk, just talking. Not once did anyone come open the door or come out and offer help. My father uses a cane and it takes him about 5 minutes to get out of a vehicle. They would watch us struggle. I would often have my coat, fathers coat, packages, bottled water, etc.
The second problem we encountered was worse. I booked the rooms online on their web site but then called to confirm and make sure that there were elevators to each floor. I explained my father was unable to walk up and down stairs. They assured me there were elevators and there would be no problem. When we arrived - while it was true the elevators went to all floors, you had to go UP about 6 stairs (with a handrail that did not go the entire length) to get to the first floor to GET ON the elevator. I asked if there was another way, and was told no. My father was able to make it up and down, but there were 2 instances when he decided to stay in his room and not go out because i know he dreaded the stairs. If you are in a wheelchair, or are traveling with someone in a wheelchair, or someone who is not able AT ALL to negotiate stairs - DO NOT STAY HERE.
As for the rooms, we were on different floors and the rooms were quite different. My father was on the 6th floor and his room was nicer than mine (3rd floor) mainly due to the configuration. My fathers was much more open and he had a king size bed in his room. Mine was smaller and had a queen size bed in the room. In theory they should have been exactly the same. They both had kitchenettes and sitting rooms. I did not like my room because it was dark and each room was separated from each other down little hallways. I'm not sure that makes sense, and i doubt it would bother everyone. What would bother everyone was the smell in my room - very musty/moldy smelling (fathers was fine). mainly in the sitting room. we were only there 2 nights so i did not bother to move - as the bedroom did not smell.
In general the rooms were not clean enough for me, but i am the first to admit i am what people kindly refer to as a "clean freak". It is the type of hotel room that appears clean, but when you take a look at - say the lampshade, there is a huge layer of dust on the top rim. The vent above the shower also caked with dust - made me shudder to look at it.
The bed was ok for me, but the pillows were not. they were hard foam ones. I called down to request something different, they said they would look and about 30 minutes later i had to call back. They did not find any they said, but it didn't seem as if they were going to bother to let me know. I also had to call when i could not get the bedroom window closed again after opening it for some fresh air. No screens so i was unwilling to leave it open all night. Someone finally came up, with the attitude that i must be doing something wrong. Well it took him 20 minutes and standing on a chair to get it closed. it was off the track and while i was closed it was not "air tight" at the bottom. It was to be fixed the next day, but was not.
The bathrooms are VERY SMALL and there is little room for any of your toiletries. My father had a very difficult time, as the toilet is VERY LOW, lower than any other hotel room toilet i have ever seen in the USA. Lower than any i have ever seen in a residence anywhere. Ditto for the sink. No grab bars near toilet make it very difficult for him to get off the toilet. Also, NO GRAB BARS in tub shower. I found this really hard to believe, especially as it is a shower over tub, so you have to climb in, as opposed to walk in. If you are aged, infirm, dizzy, prone to falls, DO NOT STAY HERE. Now to be fair, i did not ask if they had a room with grab bars in the bathroom, but in 2011 in a hotel where we were paying WELL over 200 dollars a night, i didn't think i had to.
Which brings me to another major problem. NO wi-fi (except in the small lobby in the front). I think in 2011 in the nations capital at a hotel that is frequently over 200 dollars a night - you should have access (free or paid) to wi-fi. Now, they did have plug in ethernets in the rooms, so that might be good enough. Since i traveled this trip with just my IPAD, i had no access. I used the business center to print out boarding passes. The business center is 2 pc's each with a printer attached. One printer worked, one did not.
Each room had a safe (not very clean) but if you are short or disabled, it would be difficult to use. It is located on the top shelf in the closet (well mine was).
Sorry this is so long - feel free to ask me questions.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MsFrost

Dear MsFrost,

Thank you for staying with us. We're glad you found our location convenient to GWU during your visit. We've addressed your concerns and have created action plans that we plan to follow through for consistency and continued improvements. We are making sure that our bellman are always at their station at the front door ready to assist Guests and for all our Front Office Staff to be more attentive and anticipate Guest needs. We've also addressed the musty smell by creating a project to clean and check all HVAC units in the rooms and doing whatever else is necessary to make sure this smell is eliminated. It might have only in your room but we will take these steps for each room just as a precautionary measure.

We can arrange a room for your father next time on our lobby level where he can have a short walk from the garage where there will be no stairs whatsoever. Let us know of this request and we'll make sure to block his room accordingly.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in your next visit to Washington DC as we are confident you will notice our efforts to improve our services and amenities.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel back in January. It is a bit off the beaten path but well worth the price. I like the neighborhood, not so touristy. It's a clean and safe hotel, really good for a solo traveler that doesn't mind exploring and walking a bit. It's really close to the White House and the West End of The Mall.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo