“Interesting value”
Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was my second stay at the State Plaza hotel so I will combine my reviews.

Given that I have stayed in more "traditional" hotels I didn't know that this would be different. It appears that it was once an apartment building so it has a unique set up. There are 2 buildings and you have to walk through the parking garage to get to the second.

Each room is like a mini-apartment. You have a bedroom, living room, kitchen with stove, table and refrigerator and a bathroom with a dressing area. The room was larger for my first stay and it was on an upper floor of the second building. On my second stay I had a room on the first floor of the first building. That room was smaller, you have a view of a wall and you get the noise of all of the other guests from the 2nd building passing as well as the hotel staff who's offices are right across the hall.

The furniture reminds me of someone's grandmothers house. Very 50's, 60's. The breakfast, even if included in your price, is the worst of the included breakfast that I've had at other hotels. You'd be better off cooking your own or going to a restaurant. However, the room service dinner was good.

If you can get a good price, you have an extended stay and need the space and amenities and you aren't looking for luxury amenities then this is the place for you!

However, it was clean and the beds are comfy and there are flat screen TV's.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,779)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We arrived and checked in around 3pm on Friday afternoon for our overnight stay. There was no room in the hotel garage so we had to drive up about 5 blocks to park at garage, which ended up being cheaper. Room was clean, beds were comfortable,and the a/c on a very hot day worked great! We were only on the 2nd floor and we were not bothered by noice. It was nice to have the small kitchen. The CVS next door has a large selection of ready made sandwiches, fruit bowls, salad's, frozen foods, snacks & drinks. There is a Java City one block down as well as a Starbucks & a Subway two blocks away. We walked everywhere and felt safe, even at 10pm coming back from dinner 5 blocks away. Metro Bus stop right across street on Virginia Ave, if you need to take a bus somewhere. There were a few homeless people that took up residence for the night at the little park across the street, but they didn't bother us. They were just there to sleep for the night, probably because it was safe for them as well. Staff was pleasant....we will return for another stay!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We showed up at noon in DC knowing that check-in wasn't until 3. The front desk allowed us to do the check-in paperwork and store our bags, and we went out to do some sightseeing.

At about 5pm we got back to the hotel and were told one of our rooms was ready, another wasn't but would be available "in 20 minutes; we'll send someone to your room with the key." Bummer given that they knew we were already there, but hey - stuff happens.

Thirty minutes later we called down to the front desk to be told the room wasn't ready, but would be "in 20 minutes." Twenty minutes later we called down to be told "about half an hour." We've got a room full of footsore and hungry teenagers, so we decide a face-to-face conversation is in order and go down to the front desk to beg for a room that should have been ready 3 hours ago. And what do you know - we were handed the key. We assumed they just didn't have anyone to send up with it and didn't manage to call and let us know. We'd have happily picked it up.

The room itself was fine - not great, not terrible. The rest of our stay in terms of service was uneventful. But that first afternoon really left a legacy of irritation with the place, and we won't be going back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
DOSatSP, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Thank you for your review. We understand the importance of having your room/s ready by 3pm (Check in time) and our entire staff works very hard to accomplish this and we deliver a good majority of the time. However, sometimes it is difficult due to other departing Guests checking out later than noon and other special rooming requests and/or other circumstances beyond our control.

We understand that you could have received your keys sooner perhaps and we will continue to learn from reviews such as yours in order to serve you better next time.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I made a reservation for a stay the following day to cover a business trip with a new client. I was taking a red eye to attend a meeting the next day. At 11:30PM I called and cancelled due to illness, which I thought would keep me awake on the flight and everyone else for that matter.

I spoke to a gentlement who said he would cancel the reservation. In June I got a bill for one nights stay. I called to correct the error, and was told they would check into and call me back. A week laetr i called again, and was told they only had one man on at night and she would check with him and call me back. Again, no follow up.

I wrote them a letter and am awaiting a reply. If you stay here, document everything. They do not go by the honor system and I am being asked to prove their guy made a mistake. I have never seen this kind of behavior with the major chains.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

I've brought this matter up to our accounting office to make sure this matter gets resolved immediately if it hadn't been done so already. Please call us back should you have any questions. Thank you.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Hotel room was very clean and spacious. The location was excellent. Room service doesn't have a expansive menu and is a bit pricey. But there are no alternatives around for food. Very safe area, had no hesitations about being out at dark. In-room internet. I would recommend bringing some sort of white noise, the outside noise was disturbing.

Room Tip: Booked on PriceLine for $115 a night!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank eeg1977ok
Reviewed August 9, 2011

It is very good hotel for the money and location.Stuff was very friendly and helpfull.Room was preatty good size with a kitchen.White House just few blocks from this hotel and Subway station just 5 minutes to walk.It was very nice stay for us.Thank you to all stuff.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed here 4 nights during our trip to DC. The hotel is 5 blocks from the White House and we walked to all of the sites except for a cab ride to the Capitol. The parking garage was full when we got there so they directed us to the GW Public Parking Garage which was 3 blocks north on 22nd street. I would park there instead of the hotel as it is $12/day less.

We had a junior suite which had a separate king bedroom and main room had a pullout couch that slept 2 kids. Kitchen was nice with a full refrigerator and there is a CVS right next door to get groceries. The hotel doesn't have an ice machine and you can buy ice at the liquor store next door but plan in advance as they aren't open on Sundays or in the morning. There is also a Subway a block away and other restaurants north a few blocks.

Make sure you ask for a room with a view as we had one that faced East and could see the Capitol and Washington Monument and were on the 8th floor which was nice. Would definately recommend and stay here again!

1  Thank GoHawksAnkenyIowa