“Great value for money, prefect location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of State Plaza Hotel

You added State Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
State Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2117 E St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #44 of 138 Hotels in Washington DC
Budapest, Hungary
“Great value for money, prefect location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

The hotel has a perfect location. The room was huge, and we got a kitchen and a dressing room, but the bathroom was insanely small.
The towels were positioned totally next to the toilet, which brings up serious hygienic concerns, and there was other no space left to hang them onto.
Apart from that, good service and good price.

Room Tip: The front building has better location than the rear building.
  • Stayed January 2016, traveled with friends

Lynchburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

First time staying, renovation completed within the last year. Service good, quite, excellent staff, dining room, on site parking charge $34 not included taxes, king bed with kitchen, dressing room, and bathroom, lots of mirrors, Washington Post available in dining room.

Stayed February 2016, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The lobby is very warm, sophisticated and modern--much like the front desk staff.

I stayed in a King Room in the North Tower on the top floor. When I entered my room, the ice bucket was full and the heat was adjusted to a comfortable temperature. The room itself was extremely spacious, plush with new carpeting and boasted stylish blackout curtains. The king-sized bed was very comfortable and the SIX pillows provided great neck support--certainly not mushy hotel pillows we've all grown accustomed to.

On Saturday night, returned to my room to find a bottle of water on my bed side table (much appreciated after a night on U Street). That unexpected touch was so pleasant and showed an attention to detail you wouldn't encounter at a chain property.

Thank you to the front desk staff (Lili) for helping me get a new string for my luggage tag after it unexpectedly snapped.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room in the North Tower
  • Stayed February 2016, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank mbp817
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel is in 2 buildings. They have different addresses. I was in the North Tower which is on F Street, not E Street. Both have lobbies. I was in room 732. This room had 2 Queen beds, full kitchen, dressing area and bath with tub. While the kitchen doesn't have an oven, it has everything else, including basic pots and pans, table and chairs. CVS next door has some food, and Whole Foods Market is about 4 blocks away. You can save a lot of money making your own meals. Hotel has a decent restaurant, but there aren't any others in the general area. Room service was quick.

The beds were firm but appeared to have memory foam toppings. Both beds had those huge puffy pillows. I only use a flat pillow, so I just folded up some towels to use as a pillow.

The building has been updated. The windows are double pane, so it's fairly quiet and well insulated. However, there is a hospital 3 blocks away, so sirens can be heard at all hours. Also, this is the closest hotel to the State Department, so every time a mucky muck left with a police escort, you had more sirens. I live in a very rural area, so this bothered me. Probably wouldn't bother 98% of the guests.

The bathroom came with a deep tub and plenty of towels. I was there just after the blizzard, so soaking in a tub was wonderful. The shower head was nice. Hot water arrived quickly and never ran out.

I was only using public transportation, and the bus service was only fair. The closest Metro Station was Foggy Bottom, and no matter what other sites say, it's a full 5 block walk from the Metro to the hotel. If you know you're going to be in the North Tower, it will save you a full block of walking.

The staff was wonderful. The doormen were perfect. There was a lot of snow, and they'd help you up and down the stairs. The front desk staff (both lobbies) were quick and helpful. I had a minor problem with some equipment and maintenance was at my door in 15 minutes. They will loan you umbrella's.

The buildings did have a peculiar layout which might be troublesome to wheelchair users. There were random stairs. I would caution wheelchair users to inquire further about their rooms.

This hotel is fairly close the the Kennedy Center, Lincoln Memorial, and Vietnam Memorial.

In summary, I had a very nice 7 day stay.

Room Tip: North Building on quieter street
  • Stayed January 2016, traveled solo
1 Thank sgbelverta
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights right after Snowstorm Jonas. The hotel is in a great location around the vicinity of GWU (Foggy Bottom metro) and within walking distance to the National Mall. We arrived way earlier than check-in time because Southwest was so efficient :) the hotel kindly accomodated us and gave us our room - thank you for that dear SPHotel, because we were so tired from hauling our luggage 3 blocks that morning because the streets were still snowed in and the cab couldn't make it to the front door. We stayed in the F building on the 6th floor. View of the brick wall and windows of the building next door. But the room itself was nice, newly updated, decent sized with a separate kitchenette and dressing room. Staff were always so pleasant and everything went great during our stay. The free Wi-fi was strong and we were happy about that because we had our work with us. Location is awesome; we were glad we didn't rent a car. The metro was so easy and just a few blocks away, the bus stops right in front of building F, and if you use Uber often, like us, you'll find that a car is absolutely unnecessary in DC. Starbucks is just 2 blocks away; there's a CVS right next foor to the other entrance; Fogobro (convenience store plus handy sandwich/deli kinda store) is great for late night munchies and is next door to the F entrance. Lots of little eating places around the vicinity with nice happy hour too. Also, I felt safe walking by myself to grab my late night latte at Starbucks.

Only 2 things I'd suggest improving: change the lightbulbs in the room (everything was sooooo dim, except the bathroom) and if possible, do something about the paper thin walls or install some kind of noise insulation. I can literally hear the asian couple with their little girl next door when we're both using the bathroom at the same time.

Overall a great little hotel. Much nicer than some of the "fancier" (read: more expensive) places I've been to around downtown. Will definitely be in our list the next time we go to DC again.

Stayed February 2016, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cherrymama123
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I were attending a show at Constitution Hall which is only about 5 blocks away from the State Plaza. I decided to stay the night and make it a romantic evening rather than just a show and the long drive home. I booked the room here because of the location to the theater. I saw the reviews were decent and the price was right. I added a dinner package, cheese plate and and champagne and strawberries during the online booking. When we arrived I had the cheese plate sent up and campaign and strawberries set up for after the show.

The cheese plate was enough for 4 people. It was wonderfully displayed and the breads, fruits and cheeses they included were the perfect combination.

Check in was easy and the bellhop showed us the room which was larger than expected. It is an older hotel that has been re-vamped but they did a nice job. The place was very clean. Our room had a vanity area and a fully tiled bathroom wrapped in mirrors and not even a fingerprint could be found. It also had an efficiency kitchen and was much more than I needed for the night but a great value.

My wife left her shoes in the car which valet had so we called and within 5 minutes there was a knock on the door with her shoes.

The menu in the restaurant is not huge but it was a nice combination. The bar is small and quaint. The bar service by Mia was excellent and we had a great time.

We will definitely plan fun trips to DC and stay at the State Plaza again.

Room Tip: The valet parking is worth every penny.
  • Stayed January 2016, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank MrDefense
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed up on the 8th floor above F Street. The room was very nice and clean and the bathroom had a very modern look. The bed and pillows were comfortable but there is definitely some road noise especially from the buses. It would've been nice if there was a fridge and microwave in the room but there was a coffee maker but again no fridge to keep some half and half in.

My only real complaint is the heat was very overpowering. I think the thermostat was defective or the temp swing was set wrong: I had it set to 68 and it would run up to 80 (I had to keep turning it down and opening the window to cool down).

Oh and the elevators are very slow.

Room Tip: Higher floors minimize road and building noise
  • Stayed January 2016, traveled solo