“A perfect place to stay and to visit Washington”

Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Dublin, Ireland
“A perfect place to stay and to visit Washington”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

This hotel combines the friendliness I associate with a small family run hotel with the professionalism of the very best to be found anywhere. I stayed on the executive floor which was truly excellent - subtly understated yet absolutely luxurious. Staff were very helpful - the concierge anticipated the mistake that I might make in directing me to a shopping area and ensured that I took the correct route. Food met the highest standard while the bar had an intimacy that I found very welcoming. It was also a perfect location to explore the city, close to shopping , restaurants and the White House. The metro station is very close to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Long Beach, ca
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My friends and I arrived at 7 AM on Saturday for the Rally to Restore Sanity. After a Red-Eye flight we were hoping beyond hope they'd let us check in early. No problem, we got a room right away which never has happened for me. Caught a couple zzzz's and we were off. The doormen and front desk staff were always smiling and helpful.

The Monday we were supposed to check out I had an accident and was in the emergency room and the last thing I wanted to do was check out at 11:00 AM after being in the ER for 7 hours. No problem. They let us stay in our room until 4PM that day. Again, that's never happened before.

When we went to check out they didn't charge us any fees for the early check in and late check out. They were super friendly, rolled with the punches and did it all with a smile on their faces.

The location was amazing! A few blocks down from two different metro stops, super convenient.

Only complaint would be that the walls were pretty thin and we could hear everything outside our door. I bought earplugs and slept like a baby. Room was clean although a little small.

Overall, customer service is very important to me and they were amazing! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

I booked on priceline.com It was 190/night before taxes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Staff was very professional, room was spacious but kind of dated. The location is wonderful, good access to downtown tourist spots. Garage parking available for $25/day, good restraunts near by. I purchased through Priceline for $100/night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Louisiana
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel was very nice and reasonably priced, considering the location. Very near some good restaurants. Felt safe with 4 kids. We were actually within walking distance of the monuments and museums, although it was a little hot walking in July. A couple of blocks from the subway, which most people recommended. We found out the last day of our stay about the buses. We could have caught a bus about a block away and get dropped off near the Smithsonian, very inexpensive. The key apparently is to call the transit people ahead. We couldn't find an accurate schedule online.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 7, 2010

First, let me start off by saying that the exterior and Lobby including the bar and lounge are nice and vivacious. However, the basic rooms are the size of those at a low to mid-level Manhattan hotel, extremely tiny. The bathrooms are nice, but the beds are small and only semi-comfortable. The bathrooms are compact, but adequate and clean.

The bartenders at the main bar were pretty good. However, at the wedding we attended, the wait staff was atrocious, the food was mediocre and the bartenders were the worst I've ever seen. The wait staff was constantly confused, was not orderly or cohesive, and brought out cold coffee, forgot dishes and was poor at pouring, splashing several guests. The food was mediocre at best. Chicken was average, nothing you can't get at a local fast food chain.

The bartenders were pathetic. I'm not one to complain much, but the woman poured literally 4 drinks in 25 minutes (I counted as I waited). The male bartender was even worse. He was slightly quicker but didn't garnish any drinks with limes or lemons, to the point where guests were forced to grab these themselves. In addition, HE DIDN'T PUT A STRAW in the drink. It may be nit-picky, but it seems unusually lazy.

Room service was also mediocre.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
York
Reviewed September 5, 2010

First impressions were not good. We were not welcomed by the check in desk instead he called us over to check us in whilst he was on the phone, he continued the phone call throughout the check in process. I wished I had complained as this same person was most unhelpful on another occasion I asked for assistance. As for his colleagues they could not be more helpful, we struggled to check into our flight on the guest airport check in machine so the receptionist offered us the use of the hotel computer and was really helpful throughout our stay.

The hotel was clean and comfy, though the beds were smaller than what we had in previous hotels and the shower was brilliant.

The hotel is in the business district and it was far from the main attractions. However, the subway was nearby and was very easy to use and this comes from someone is useless with ticket machines! If you have booked the Old Town Tours they will pick you up at the hotel.

There are some good restaurants not too far away, Rumours was one of them and there is an italian next door. Also go to Eye Street, there is a food court there, which has an excellent Italian.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Putnam, Connecticut
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last Aug 27 because Renaissance Mayflower overbooked their reservations. I booked a hotel at Mayflower Aug 4 after canceling a reservation at Hotel Madera(Kimpton Hotel). 24 days later and 24 hours prior to our arrival, a hotel staff from Mayflower gave us a call to inform us that they overbooked. She is polite and apologetic but yet disappointing on our part. She told us that we will stay at Renaissance Dupont, west of Mayflower and closer to Lincoln memorial,foggy bottom. Then I called Renaissance Dupont at around 7am to confirm the Mayflower hotel fix. I asked the female front desk if we could still have our 2 double beds request and she said the hotel can't guarantee it. She said that they have our room but with a 1 queen size bed and a rollaway bed. I got upset because I don't think that it's the proper way to compensate the other hotel's fault. The female staff that morning told me that I have to understand this blah blah. At that moment, I don't have time for understanding her and her hotel because she sounds mean and unapologetic. Then I called Mayflower at 3:42pm to ask them "what's the deal" with our reservation. A female staff(nice and courteous) apologized for the inconvenience it caused us and transferred my call to her manager. The manager told me the same thing, that the other hotel(renaissance dupont) can not guarantee our 2 double beds request. At that point, it's hopeless to ask them for anything because we don't have a choice but to accept the alternative. Mayflower waived our valet parking fee at Renaissance Dupont (only after I asked).

on the good side:
When we entered our room, we are expecting one bed and a rollaway bed. Much to our surprise, Renaissance Dupont gave us:
- two double beds
- bathroom with bathtub
-our room is located on top of the coffee shop and overlooking the chinese restaurant
-the bellboys and valet attendants are very nice and helpful

overall it was not bad after all. I just learned from our friend who were supposed to be in the rally last weekend that they did not go because their hotel overbooked also.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple