“First-rate service and ideal location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel

Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
Ranked #68 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Austin, Texas
“First-rate service and ideal location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

The hotel is in a great location - it's pricey at rack rate, but if you can get a good deal online (I used Priceline) it's a great place to stay. What really stood out to me is that the staff were genuinely warm and helpful - you get the sense that they actually want you to enjoy the hotel, vs. just being nice because it's part of their jobs. Absolutely top-of-the-line experience that way.

The bed was so fabulous, I want to call the hotel to ask where I can get a duvet like it had. They use feather pillows, which I find very uncomfortable, but I'd be willing to bet that housekeeping could probably switch them out for something more supportive. (I was too tired to ask!) Also, the decor is bright and interesting - much more fun than standard neutral cookie-cutter hotel rooms. Maybe not what I would have in my own home, but a refreshing change from the usual. Oh, and yes, I have to agree with just about everyone who mentioned that the rooms are small - but considering how little time you spend in there, that is not problematic at all. I'm very claustrophobic, but I still did not feel cramped. Plus you can see the tv better from the bed this way!

DuPont Circle is just up the street, and the restaurants are open super-late. It seems to be where the young hip crowd hangs out, but its not so painfully chic that a not-so-young, totally-UNhip mom would feel out of place. We ate at "Afterwords" - a cafe at the back of Kramer's bookstore, and it was great. There's also a Metro station right there at the circle, which is convenient for exploring all there is to see. [We were there for a Georgetown U visit - which unfortunately is NOT as close as I thought. It's fine if you don't mind really long walks, but in August heat the last thing I wanted was a really long walk. A cab was a much better choice.]

The valet parking is $35, which sounded like a lot, but is apparently common in the area. There's a garage at 2000 L Street, just a few blocks away, but we arrived late at night and I did not feel safe without many people on that street, so I bit the bullet and parked at the hotel. One thing I wish I had done is study the map more carefully - the area is full of one-ways and these baffling signs that tell you not to turn right, even onto a two-way street. And the circle - holy cow! Five or six streets converge. Madness. I got so confused, it took an extra 20 minutes to find the way back. Of course if you fly in, this is all a moot point, but I sure wish I had taken a closer look before I tried to navigate.

I would stay here again, but would probably wait until the weather cooled off some. Washington is a beautiful city, but with all the walking you inevitably do, it is not somewhere I want to be when it's so hot out. The Georgetown area is full of interesting shops and cafes and it would have been so nice to have a little more time to explore.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Toa Alta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

I stayed for a week in this hotel and they always received me with a big smile and greetings. I really enjoyed my stay and the $99/night rate was well worth it. The location is great, has a CVS, Subway, McDonalds, Chipotle, USPS office and Foggy Bottom Metro Station walking distance. There are other restaurants in the area but I'm a student... look for cheap places so I didn't try any of them. Also, lots of students walking around made me feel comfortable and safe.

The wireless Internet is free in the lobby and they have a laptop you can use for free if you don't have your own. By the way, the lobby is really nice so I didn’t mind having to use the Internet there. The bed and pillows are very comfortable and there is a coffee maker in the room. The room was always clean, towels were changed every day. On weekdays, the newspaper of your choice (they offer 3 different I think) is delivered to your room. Whenever I needed to go somewhere the concierge told me how to or else looked it up if he/she didn't know and they provide free maps and brochures. Taxis are in front of the hotel 24/7.

What I liked the best of this hotel was the customer service, I love when they treat you like family, it makes me feel home. I really have nothing bad to say about this hotel, if the Internet was for free in the rooms also it would be nicer, but it works good in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MFlamingJuneY
Sharon Center, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

We stayed here a couple of nights. Courteous, professional staff. Valet parking was very efficient and helpful. Rooms and bathrooms were clean. They have a nice lounge club at the 8th floor with excellent breakfast and a computer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
dre11434
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

Like someone said in another review, if u paid more than the Priceline rate $70-$75, then u were stiffed. The location is great, the hotel and room were clean and the staff was somewhat helpful but the room as ridiculously tiny. There was no way I was going to be able to use the desk, if anything it just crowded the room more. There was a bit of a hiccup checking in. The room wasn't ready (we should up a bit early) and we were made to wait and seem to have been forgotten about. i had to go back after 2 hours and ask of the room wasn't ready. I also had a problem with the wifi that no one could help me with, though they did offer me use of another computer.

All in all, it was an OK experience and definitely worth the $70 I paid.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

checked in and explained had a 3yr old and a 5month old and got put in the smallest room with no bath..check in guy was a lampshade..no initiative.said no rooms avail with 2 doubles as i asked for. came down after seeing the pathetic little room and spoke to someone else and poof one appeared.
booked on priceline in the 4 star upscale category....westins etc.....dream on this is holiday in at the most ..3 star ! no pool..never ever seen a 4 star with no pool in the usa. rooms are small for usa standards....best for a biz trveller on his/her own not a family!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

This hotel is typical of its type. If an average business hotel is what you are looking for then look no further. The food is equally banal. If you are looking for character, excitement or pizazz then go somewhere else. Eminently forgettable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Valley Village, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

The Renaissance M Street Hotel was an amazing lodging experience. From the moment I walked in the door, I knew I was in a great hotel. I was greeted by very courteous bellmen that were willing to assist even though my bag was small enough to where I clearly didn't need help. Once I reached the front desk, I was greeted by some of the most welcoming front desk staff/concierge I've ever experienced. The service was simply amazing. I was assigned a room that was close to the stairs, and learned right away that wasn't the best room because of the noise from the door. I contacted the front desk and without any delay, I was moved to another room. The rooms were small, but very cozy and breathtaking. I loved the decor and the beds were amazing. If I could take the bed and pillows home with me, I would. As with most hotels, the cleaning staff was a little noisy, but other than that, every aspect of my stay was amazing. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends