“Wonderful atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Greenville, North Carolina
“Wonderful atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The only thing lacking was a map of the hotel. We had to search for drink machines, etc. Room was very nice. Comfortable bed. Hotel staff were very welcoming.Would stay here again. Great hotel. Near restaurants and in business area. Can walk to most places.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We and another couple decided to do the tourist thing in Washington DC. Hotels in DC can be pretty expensive, but I found a good rate at the Renaissance and booked it. When we arrived on Thursday, Ronnie at the front desk was great to work with and got us checked in. The room was nicely appointed and larger than expected (we had an outside room). After checking in, we headed to the lobby bar where we met Sandi, the bartender. This is a small bar, but Sandi does an outstanding job and is very friendly. While we were in the bar, we started to discuss what to do for dinner, so Sandi went to the concierge and got us a reservation for dinner. We later met Ida, the concierge, and she was wonderful to us and booked our dinners for each night. So, the Renaissance turned out to be a good choice and the staff made it an excellent choice. As for restaurants, we ate dinner at The Hamilton and the Old Ebbitt grill and a couple of breakfast's at Ted's Bulletin. All were excellent and I would highly recommend all three. We were impressed by DC. It was clean and you felt safe walking to and from the sites. Overall, it was a great trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

There are many, many hotels in this area, so it has stiff competition. Overall, it is a perfectly fine hotel, but nothing special. It does feel far more like a "Marriott" brand than a "Renaissance" brand. It is not upscale at all, which is what I expect from the Renaissance brand. In summary, it is fine, but with many other hotels in the area, it does not stand out.

On the positive:
- Good location for business in the NW part of DC. (OK distance for sightseeing. It is about a mile walk to the Mall.)
- Sleep quality was excellent for me. I had an interior room, and it was super quiet.
- Staff is very nice and welcoming
- Attached to a very nice coffee bar
- Descent size gym. Not large, but has 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical, bike and a weight station. It is spacious, so you are not on top of anyone. About what I would expect for a hotel like this. (But, I would expect that in the winter with bad weather, you might need to wait to get access to a machine.)

On the negative:
- Lobby is quiet loud. It seems to cater towards the tourist crowd, so it can be quiet loud and chaotic in the lobby
- They call themselves a boutique hotel. If boutique is the same as unique, then there is nothing boutique about it. Not really a negative to me, but this is a place to sleep - nothing more. (I suspect they call it boutique as an excuse for the small size of the rooms.)
- Rooms can be small. This time my room was normal size; on previous stays my room has been small. (I think small is the norm.) Fine for a single person, but too small for a couple.
- My biggest complaint (and one that would cause be not to return): wifi is a real pain. I have free access because of my Marriott status, but it is painfully slow, especially when you need to sign up. Something not working well at all.
- Towels in the bathroom are well past their prime

Room Tip: I was on an inner courtyard room. It was very quiet. Some rooms are normal size, some are very sma...
Green Features: They have the usual "hang the towels and we will not clean them, leave them on the floor and we will replace" policy. Unlike most hotels, they actually do not replace the towels left hanging. Nothing I saw beyond that.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Goldenbear96
Ashley B, Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Goldenbear96,

We appreciate your review! I would like to take the time to thank you for being a rewards member and for also staying here with us at the Renaissance DuPont Circle. I understand and I am appreciative of your Pro's and Con's. I would like to touch base mainly with the internet issue. This is an opportunity that ownership is currently working on. I would hate to see you not stay with us again over this issue. We are undergoing a major upgrade with the internet throughout the entire hotel. This should be completed mid October 2014. If you see yourself coming to DC after October, I encourage you to come and stay with us. Feedback after the project is completed from someone who dealt with it prior would be appreciated. Secondly, if you see yourself coming to DC before October, please let me know and I will do everything I can to turn the Con's into Pro's. Thank you! Ashley Banks
ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was at the Renaissance Washington DC Dupont Circle for 5 nights, from July 12th to July 17th.

We had a nice stay and the hotel, it is clean and we found the service to be very good. The hotel is well located, 10-15 minutes from the White House or the Lincoln Mémorial. You can also walk around and find good restaurants or nightlife.

I found the room to be very small and we could hear other people doing party in the next room. Our room was 233 and didn't have refregirator which is always appreciated. We had a safe in the room and a large high definition flat screen.

Also from our room (#233), Wi-Fi was not working. To have Internet, I would have to go to the lobby.

We had a breakfast in the restaurant in the lobby, and we had a good choice of food but it was a bit expensive, for 2 adults and two children, a buffet type, the bill was $85.

The service did compensated for the shortfalls.

Room Tip: A small tip, if you park at the hotel, it is about $48 per day but you can park across the street in...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
Hello Clippe,
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that you found the location up to par with the monuments, etc. I am also glad you were able to walk around and enjoy the restaurants and night life in the local area.
I apologize that you could hear the room next to you. I wish you would have phoned the reception desk to let us know about the party. We would have immediately attended to the noise. I also wish you would have asked for a refrigerator to be delivered free of charge to your room. We are currently working on all the rooms to receive a refrigerator. I apologize if this inconvenienced your trip in anyway. If you do see yourself coming to DC in the future, please reach out and let me know! I will accommodate all you mention to the best of my ability. Thank you! Ashley Banks
ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Renaissance Washington, D.C. DuPont Circle last weekend on a leisure trip to visit family and friends. The hotel was modern and in good condition. I loved to location close to restaurants and nightlife. It's a short walk to where the bars, restaurants, and shopping is located near DuPont Circle and is located in a nice and safe neighborhood. I would recommend visiting a restaurant/bar called Front Page for their happy hour. $3 draft beers and $5 apps is standard issue and of great value. This hotel is located almost halfway between the DuPont Circle and Foggy Bottom Metro train stations and gives you options on which line to hop on depending upon where you are going. I preferred to use Uber for town car service at night heading to and from bars, out of convenience and is an affordable option. The rooms are modern and clean, but the bathroom is pretty small. There was plenty of space for myself in the room itself and staff was friendly and accommodated my request for a mini fridge. I was able to get a 15% discount for the stay on Marriott.com (I am a Marriott Rewards member, which also offered a free coffee at the on site coffee shop, or free in room wifi). My rate was $127/night, which I thought was a tremendous value based on the quality of the hotel and its location. I will definitely stay at this hotel again next time in DC.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Brewerboy83
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Our first time in Washington so didn't know the city, but this hotel was a good choice . 20 minute walk to White House and half way between DuPont circle & Washington Circle. Safe neighbourhood although quite a lot of homeless throughout the city but we never felt threatened . A few restaurants nearby especially around DuPont. Hotel staff excellent, very helpful and able to provide good info. Nice bar, free wifi in far to keep kids happy and a good Gym.
Circulator bus is good for getting around, $1 per person,pay cash on bus. Old Town trolley goes past hotel and us best of the 3 main bus tours.
If we return to DC will definitely use thus hotel again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R S
Saratoga Springs, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My family of 4 stayed here for April break and it was very impressive. It was clean and had everything we needed. The staff was very kind. A bit of a walk to the National Mall, but doable. The Dupont Circle neighborhood is nice with some great restaurants. Our only trouble here was the valet lost our car key. That situation was a bit of a mess. Ultimately, the company handled it well, and paid for the replacement key, but it was a big hassle for a few weeks. We also found our car had been moved during our stay, despite not having been blocking any other cars. Troubling. My advice would be to pack a spare key, which luckily, we had.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family