“Hotel is fine - nothing special (good or bad)”

Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“Hotel is fine - nothing special (good or bad)”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

There are many, many hotels in this area, so it has stiff competition. Overall, it is a perfectly fine hotel, but nothing special. It does feel far more like a "Marriott" brand than a "Renaissance" brand. It is not upscale at all, which is what I expect from the Renaissance brand. In summary, it is fine, but with many other hotels in the area, it does not stand out.

On the positive:
- Good location for business in the NW part of DC. (OK distance for sightseeing. It is about a mile walk to the Mall.)
- Sleep quality was excellent for me. I had an interior room, and it was super quiet.
- Staff is very nice and welcoming
- Attached to a very nice coffee bar
- Descent size gym. Not large, but has 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical, bike and a weight station. It is spacious, so you are not on top of anyone. About what I would expect for a hotel like this. (But, I would expect that in the winter with bad weather, you might need to wait to get access to a machine.)

On the negative:
- Lobby is quiet loud. It seems to cater towards the tourist crowd, so it can be quiet loud and chaotic in the lobby
- They call themselves a boutique hotel. If boutique is the same as unique, then there is nothing boutique about it. Not really a negative to me, but this is a place to sleep - nothing more. (I suspect they call it boutique as an excuse for the small size of the rooms.)
- Rooms can be small. This time my room was normal size; on previous stays my room has been small. (I think small is the norm.) Fine for a single person, but too small for a couple.
- My biggest complaint (and one that would cause be not to return): wifi is a real pain. I have free access because of my Marriott status, but it is painfully slow, especially when you need to sign up. Something not working well at all.
- Towels in the bathroom are well past their prime

Room Tip: I was on an inner courtyard room. It was very quiet. Some rooms are normal size, some are very sma...
Green Features: They have the usual "hang the towels and we will not clean them, leave them on the floor and we will replace" policy. Unlike most hotels, they actually do not replace the towels left hanging. Nothing I saw beyond that.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Goldenbear96
Ashley B, Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Goldenbear96,

We appreciate your review! I would like to take the time to thank you for being a rewards member and for also staying here with us at the Renaissance DuPont Circle. I understand and I am appreciative of your Pro's and Con's. I would like to touch base mainly with the internet issue. This is an opportunity that ownership is currently working on. I would hate to see you not stay with us again over this issue. We are undergoing a major upgrade with the internet throughout the entire hotel. This should be completed mid October 2014. If you see yourself coming to DC after October, I encourage you to come and stay with us. Feedback after the project is completed from someone who dealt with it prior would be appreciated. Secondly, if you see yourself coming to DC before October, please let me know and I will do everything I can to turn the Con's into Pro's. Thank you! Ashley Banks
ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Montreal
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was at the Renaissance Washington DC Dupont Circle for 5 nights, from July 12th to July 17th.

We had a nice stay and the hotel, it is clean and we found the service to be very good. The hotel is well located, 10-15 minutes from the White House or the Lincoln Mémorial. You can also walk around and find good restaurants or nightlife.

I found the room to be very small and we could hear other people doing party in the next room. Our room was 233 and didn't have refregirator which is always appreciated. We had a safe in the room and a large high definition flat screen.

Also from our room (#233), Wi-Fi was not working. To have Internet, I would have to go to the lobby.

We had a breakfast in the restaurant in the lobby, and we had a good choice of food but it was a bit expensive, for 2 adults and two children, a buffet type, the bill was $85.

The service did compensated for the shortfalls.

Room Tip: A small tip, if you park at the hotel, it is about $48 per day but you can park across the street in...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Clippe,
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that you found the location up to par with the monuments, etc. I am also glad you were able to walk around and enjoy the restaurants and night life in the local area.
I apologize that you could hear the room next to you. I wish you would have phoned the reception desk to let us know about the party. We would have immediately attended to the noise. I also wish you would have asked for a refrigerator to be delivered free of charge to your room. We are currently working on all the rooms to receive a refrigerator. I apologize if this inconvenienced your trip in anyway. If you do see yourself coming to DC in the future, please reach out and let me know! I will accommodate all you mention to the best of my ability. Thank you! Ashley Banks
ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Renaissance Washington, D.C. DuPont Circle last weekend on a leisure trip to visit family and friends. The hotel was modern and in good condition. I loved to location close to restaurants and nightlife. It's a short walk to where the bars, restaurants, and shopping is located near DuPont Circle and is located in a nice and safe neighborhood. I would recommend visiting a restaurant/bar called Front Page for their happy hour. $3 draft beers and $5 apps is standard issue and of great value. This hotel is located almost halfway between the DuPont Circle and Foggy Bottom Metro train stations and gives you options on which line to hop on depending upon where you are going. I preferred to use Uber for town car service at night heading to and from bars, out of convenience and is an affordable option. The rooms are modern and clean, but the bathroom is pretty small. There was plenty of space for myself in the room itself and staff was friendly and accommodated my request for a mini fridge. I was able to get a 15% discount for the stay on Marriott.com (I am a Marriott Rewards member, which also offered a free coffee at the on site coffee shop, or free in room wifi). My rate was $127/night, which I thought was a tremendous value based on the quality of the hotel and its location. I will definitely stay at this hotel again next time in DC.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Brewerboy83
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Our first time in Washington so didn't know the city, but this hotel was a good choice . 20 minute walk to White House and half way between DuPont circle & Washington Circle. Safe neighbourhood although quite a lot of homeless throughout the city but we never felt threatened . A few restaurants nearby especially around DuPont. Hotel staff excellent, very helpful and able to provide good info. Nice bar, free wifi in far to keep kids happy and a good Gym.
Circulator bus is good for getting around, $1 per person,pay cash on bus. Old Town trolley goes past hotel and us best of the 3 main bus tours.
If we return to DC will definitely use thus hotel again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R S
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My family of 4 stayed here for April break and it was very impressive. It was clean and had everything we needed. The staff was very kind. A bit of a walk to the National Mall, but doable. The Dupont Circle neighborhood is nice with some great restaurants. Our only trouble here was the valet lost our car key. That situation was a bit of a mess. Ultimately, the company handled it well, and paid for the replacement key, but it was a big hassle for a few weeks. We also found our car had been moved during our stay, despite not having been blocking any other cars. Troubling. My advice would be to pack a spare key, which luckily, we had.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Rooms are nice and location is excellent, but they charge you extra for everything (for example wi-fi). Breakfast was good, but also very expensive. It's a good hotel, but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Ashley B, Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Since we are a hotel in the middle of Washington, DC we have to keep up with our competitors. If you plan on coming back in the future please do not hesitate to reach out and let us know! ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Checkin + checkout was really smooth. The room is average size--- and mine was on the street side with good sun/light but a bit of street noise at times. Backside may be better, esp if you can get a room with decent natural light. The bed was very comfy. Room well appointed with desk and all the regular stuff. Bathroom is basic but clean/fine. as Marriott gold, i had access to free wifi and also the lounge on 8th with breakfast and snacks in the evening--- a nice benefit. The room key was very sketchy--- i had to get a new key 4 times, which is really annoying to get back to the lobby each time. The neighborhood is very close to west end/foggy bottom/georgetown/dupont. Lots of metro stations, trader joes/whole foods, CVS/walgreen, several restaurants at various price points, and a few shops nearby. Always a friendly welcome from the bellmen outside --- and they help with taxis, too. At night the lobby feels a bit too packed--- perhaps a bit like a lounge with people having drinks, watching the big screen, and with mood lights. Overall, a good business hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business