“Great help from hotel staff”

Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
Ranked #79 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great help from hotel staff”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

After leaving the hotel last week, I realized that I'd left valuables locked in my room safe. Hotel front desk and security staff were sympathetic and highly efficient in tracking down my belongings. The operations manager was professional and helpful in expediting the shipment and return of my belongings. Thanks to such nice staff. I'll certainly return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I recently got stuck in DC due to the Winter Vortex traveling across the East Coast. As I was in the airport looking for a hotel, as always I look for a Renaissance. I found the Dupont location and liked it because when I lived in DC I was two blocks from this location and loved the ease of walking to Dupont and Georgetown. When arriving I realized so much had changed - it was still a great location. I checked in to the hotel and the front desk clerk was extremely nice. I always appreciate it and this time was no different. He changed my room to have a "cool view" and it was - a nice city view.

When I entered the room, I knew something was different. I recognized the comforter on the bed, but the room, furnishings and bathroom was not what I expected in a Renaissance. Sadly, the next day I did find another Renaissance across town and decided to check out.

Lastly, prior to check out I popped into the coffee shop downstairs - freaking awesome coffee!

Room Tip: As much as I hate to say this because the staff was so awesome, this is not your typical brand for t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hi TravelingoutofNC,
Thanks for the candid review. While I am pleased that you were very happy with the service, I was disappointed that the rooms did not meet your expectations. We are revamping the hotel's bedding package and have started this on the top few floors at this point. I hope to see you again once they have finished this! Please let me know if you decide to book with us again and I can make sure that you are taken care of.
New Jersey
Reviewed February 26, 2014

First time staying at this hotel. I was very impressed with the location very close to restauraunts as well ascGeorgetown for shopping. Hotel was very clean and staff friendly. I would say the only thing that was very disappointing was the parking situation. You have to pay $35 a nightplus tax which is not a problem but yet waiting for your car for 30-35 minutes definetly is a probkem,especially when you are trying to get somewhere. I was not advised at first aboyt this waitand had a few wirds with a employee there in regards to this matter. Nevertheless we ended up leaving our vehicle parked for two days and catching cabs to wherever we needed to go. A little sad but it seemed best. I honestly would say they definetly need to do better. Tjey extended a late check out with no problem which was great for the three roons we had there. When time to leave check out was speedy but again the car situation was bad almost 40 min wait and not even busy. They offeredd breakfast continental $15 buffet $22. Overall great hotel great location quiet.

Room Tip: Had connecting rooms with double beds.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located just a short walk from Dupont Circle - very convenient to businesses and other attractions in DC. Beyond its location, this property has nothing much to offer.

As a loyal, platinum Marriott customer, I've become accustomed to a variety of service levels, accommodations, facilities, etc - differentiated by brand. Courtyards, JW Marriotts, Fairfield Inns all have their own identities. So does Renaissance... but don't expect Renaissance features, rooms, service or ammenities at this "boutique" property. Rooms are very small, staff is indifferent, the fitness center can't even compare to the Renaissance near the Washington convention center, food choices are limited and the entire guest experience fell short of expectations.

I've stayed at almost every Marriott property in Washington and this hotel does not live up to the standards I appreciate at other Renaissance hotels.

1 Thank EasyTraveler2000
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hi EasyTraveler2000,
Thank you for the candid feedback. I was disappointed when I read the review. Clearly this experience was not a very memorable one, and I would like to find out more information if possible. You mentioned that the staff was indifferent. I would like to understand more about this to address this issue. Please reach out to me whenever convenient so that I relay this information to the team.
Rooms Operations Manager
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Staff at the hotel was top rate, very professional, attentive, and helpful. Lobby/lounge was modern and comfortable. Breakfast was very good; pricey but it is a Renaissance. The king room was a good sized for the two of us. It also was modern, very clean, and quiet even though there was a volleyball tournament in town and we were next to the elevator. Parking area was under renovation so getting our valet car back took twice as long as promised. Really nice area of DC. We would return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Hi robbinsjnj,
Thank you for the great review! It sounds like you really did enjoy your stay, although I was disappointed to see the note about the valet parking. We are going through garage renovations, however you should not have waited longer than quoted. Any specifics as far as timing and who you dealt with would be really helpful to pinpoint exactly what happened so that they do not happen again. Feel free to reach out to me. That being said, I hope to see you again soon! Maybe after the renovation is completed in a few weeks!
Take care,
Virginia
Reviewed February 17, 2014

In spite of a great location in Washington, DC, the hotel is the least favorite of any of the Marriott chain. we did not get the room configuration we wanted in spite of advanced reservations. The drive up entrance to the hotel is complicated, requiring some maneuvering in traffic. It seems to be set up counter one way traffic of the street. Rooms are small, but clean and tidy. I would say the pillows are almost non-existent, small, flat and singular. Bathroom was equipped with ONE average towel and ONE wash cloth. I am not sure how they define "Boutique", since there are 350 rooms, maybe because the rooms are small. The staff is very friendly and accommodating to needs. Bar is well stocked and efficient. Connected coffee shop is low average.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CBOsprey
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi CBOsprey,
Thank you for the candid review. I was very disappointed to read about your experience at the hotel. I would like to get more information so that I can understand why you did not receive the room type that you reserved. In addition to this, it sounds like you did not receive the standard amenities that we provide. We do provide more than one towel and wash cloth in our rooms. Clearly it sounds like we did not meet your needs and for this I apoligize. Please reach out to me so that we can discuss further.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed February 13, 2014

the staff was very attentive and helpful. excellent location for business traveller. I was also able to walk to many of restaurants and tourist spots in DC. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated. It was beyond my expectation for a Renaissance property. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ksdsaa
Hi CKFO,
Thanks for the awesome review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please see us again soon.
Take care