“Great Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
victorville, ca
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

It was the first in DC. The hotel was great. Great location. Room was very clean. Hotel Staff was very helpful and finding restaurants and tours.
Very quite neighborhood. Definitely would stay again.

Bev, California

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lonnie1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Finnish first
Cleveland
Reviewed May 28, 2009

The River Inn was a real find. It's in a great neighbourhood, very safe and close to Foggy Bottom Metro. All the main attractions are quite walkable -we were on The Mall in about 15 minutes. Georgetown too is a safe 10 minute stroll away and this is ideal for dining at night.
The hotel itself is clean and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. Our room on the 7th floor had terrific views over The Potomac River and also The Washington Memorial. We had our own fitted kitchen, bathroom and dressing area. Everything was very fresh and clean -we had free newspapers delivered each morning and they brought chocolates round on an evening - nice touches.
Considering that you are in central Washington this hotel represents extremely good value and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others. Infact I have already mentioned it to several friends.Next time we are in Washington The River Inn will be our first choice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2009

The River Inn is OK as a hotel while in DC. We flew in from the Marlowe Hotel in Boston [part of the Kimpton Group] and on balance wish we had stayed one of their hotels in Washington. The room at The River Inn was OK: the small kitchen gives a bit of flexibility but the room was a little tired and not the largest. The metro is a 4-5 minute walk [not 2 mins as some have said] and we were a little disappointed by Foggy Bottom itself – not the trendy Bohemian district we had been led to believe. Given the busy roads it is not very pleasant to walk to Georgetown [although it’s well worth a visit] and it is a good 30-35 mins to the National Mall if you choose to walk it. Overall the hotel is OK but we are sure there are better choices out there in DC.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KL_Sue
dallas, texas
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed for a weekend and had a weekend package with good rates. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Our package had breakfast included in the restaurant and it was good. The hotel is in a good location, near a Metro stop. We didn't have a car so parking was not an issue for us. I think the hotel is a little pricey during the week, but for the weekend, it was great. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maverick4
Indian Head, Maryland
Reviewed February 7, 2009

I came to DC on business last week, and this was the hotel 'assigned' to us. I got a corner suite with the kitchen and three separate rooms. The furniture are rustic Italian-styled (so I am told) and the room had a retro feel. The televisions were first rate with huge selection; the one in the living room had a DVD player...great for the CD collection I happened to bring! Convenience to the metro was great; try the Aroma Indian Restaurant on I street, about 5 blocks away!

I should also mention that through some mixup (on our end, probably), I was listed to come in a day earlier than I did, so they listed me as a no-show for the first day. But, they had no problem taking that extra day off when I checked out.

I was asked to come back next year to perform the same duties, so I will gently "prod" the travel folks to choose this hotel again next year! Great!!

• Liked — Rooms with character
  • Disliked — Nada
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Travelino
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
Reviewed December 29, 2008

My husband and I took my cousin's family for a weekend trip to DC and decided to stay at the River Inn for its proximity to a metro station and the fact that I got a good rate for a suite hotel.

Check in was quick and efficient. Because we were staying for the weekend, the friendly check-in clerk told us that if we are able to find it, there are no restrictions for side street parking on the weekend, saving us the $30/day valet parking fee.

We booked two rooms, one for each family, and the space was more than enough. The queen sized bed and sofa bed was comfortable for my cousin and his family.

The room decor was pretty modern, in neutral tones. The bathroom had a low bathtub, so I didn't feel it'd be too comfortable for a soak. The little kitchen was sufficient to heat up food for simple meals. The single door fridge reminded me of the fridge in my first apartment, with a single cubicle for a freezer.

Location-wise, it was two blocks away from the Foggy Bottom-GWU metro (right in front of the GWU hospital) and we took it to go to the Smithsonian. I meant to check out the Trader Joe's, but we didn't have time, but there was a 7-11 on the way to the metro station to grab a bottle of water.

The only disappointment that I had was that their "24-hour fitness center" was a tiny room with a broken TV, a treadmill, an elliptical machine, and a stationary bike. There was also a door leading to a gutted room (that is probably the beginnings of a sauna?), which wasn't very attractive. I did use the filtered water machine in there though. Also, housekeeping seemed to be shortstaffed, as our room wasn't refreshed when we stopped by our room at 2pm, but that's not too big a deal for us. I didn't try the Dish Restaurant because it seemed a bit pricey (but the Ethiopian food in DC is great.!), though my husband did have a cup of coffee there the morning we left and had nothing bad to say about it.

I would probably seek to see what type of rate I'd get here the next time I plan a trip to DC. If it is comparable to what I paid for this time, I wouldn't hesitate to book.

• Liked — Suite was spacious and convenient
  • Disliked — Disappointing exercise ammenities
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank everfair
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed November 27, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the River Inn during the first week of November 2008. The booking was made at the very last minute when we had arrived in Washington DC. Despite having booked many weeks earlier and having exchanged confirmation and time of arrival emails the week beforehand with the Carlyle Suites, when we arrived there they had no room for us. Having had a journey from the UK of over 20 hours in total, we were not impressed with this; we accepted the offer of one night in their sister hotel – which we had to pay for, which I think was ungenerous – we decided to find a hotel elsewhere as the hotel we were in was no where near a metro station and was far too far out of the centre of town to be of use to us.

What a different reception at the River Inn, and what a good example of how bad experiences can turn into something very good. We were delighted with the River Inn, it facilities, location and staff – all of which could not be faulted. The hotel is situated in leafy Georgetown, offers an excellent standard of suited accommodation. Without exception the hotel staff were friendly and helpful and we were made very welcome.

The hotel is two minutes walk from a metro station (George Washington University), is close to several stores and small, friendly bars.

Our room (suite) was spacious, light, vey clean and comfortable; the separate kitchen was very useful, as was the little vanity/dressing area outside the bathroom. Immaculate housekeeping every day and everything we needed for a great stay.

If I try very hard to find a fault, then the bathroom could have done with an update, and the lifts were quite often out of order – but this is being very picky indeed!

Highly recommended to all. We will certainly be going back on our next visit to a great city.

• Liked — Clean, spacious, light and airy accommodation; outstanding staff
  • Disliked — Bathroom could do with a make-over
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Sue020