“Best kept secret in Foggy Bottom Area”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best kept secret in Foggy Bottom Area”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The River Inn is one of the best kept secrets in the Foggy Bottom area... by no means did it feel like we were at a hotel...the suite is the size of a one bedroom apartment. It truly feels like home with the large closets, large living/dining area. The panoramic windows overlooking Georgetown was simply beautiful. Lastly, the bedding/mattresses/pillows were soooooooooo comfortable. I will definitely make this my home away from home visit!!!

Room Tip: upgrade to luxury king suite - we stayed in room 412.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hello! Thank you very much for your kind words about The River Inn. Like you, I honestly feel that our hotel is a "best kept secret" in the neighborhood. Our building actually used to be an apartment complex, so you really get that "home" feel as soon as you walk in the door. I am glad that you enjoyed one of our Potomac king suites, they are beautiful! These suites are perfect for both a romantic getaway or a vacation with the kids. Also, I agree that our beds are very very comfortable. I love to hear when a guest refers to The River Inn as their home away from home! Again, thank you for your great review, we can't wait to see you again at The River Inn!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I expected a upscale service oriented hotel. Instead I found a tired outdated facility. The rooms could have been advertised as a retro theme. I'm not sure what period however. The furniture was a tired worn version of what was found in the 60's and 70's. The floor covering may have come from the 80's. The layout of the kitchen from a 50' sitcom. The staff did not move without a tip. I tip staff normally, but am more comfortable tipping after the service. Remote was broken and when the new one was delivered I was greeted by one hand extended for tip and remote still in the other. Each time the car was delivered by valet from the overpriced parking, we felt as if the valet positioned himself particularly to not be forgotten. Uncomfortably in the way. The web site shows an equipped exercise room. They don't show the modern business center in the closet of the exercise room. Food was good but after gratuity for restaraunt and room service tip I had eaten a 20.00 +hamburger and fries. Strange collection of ? around the bathroom mirrors and fixtures. I never figured out what they were. I have couple pictures I wish I could attach. The modern kitchen lacked modern wiring. You had several appliances and no outlets. It felt like an episode of the Honeymooners when I had to keep plugging and unplugging stuff to heat a pastry, grind coffee, and make a cup of coffee. Repeat that for each person and it is comical. This hotel has a pretty high rating for what I described above. Any average motel on the highway is normally cleaner, more modern, provides better service from staff, reasonable parking, and generally gives you a doughnut and coffee in the AM. I don't mind paying for an upscale hotel and meals. I just don't think it was at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Greetings, and thank you for your feedback on your stay at The River Inn. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. I am sorry that you found our suites to be outdated. However, since your stay (indicated in your review as taking place in July of 2012) our suites have been newly modernized with new carpeting, furnishings, and bedding. We have gotten great reviews on our suites' new look, so we would love for you to come back and see it for yourself! Thank you for the other feedback regarding your stay, we will definitely use it to improve other areas of operations at the hotel. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to call me (Brittany Bowers) at the hotel, 202-337-7600 ext. 3009. Thank you again, and we hope to hear from you soon at The River Inn.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Pros -
1. Location: Located in cute Foggy Bottom neighborhood, is close to JFK Performing Center, Georgetown, etc.
2. Spacious room with kichenette

Cons -
1. Parking: There is valet parking at around $34+Tax...

1 Thank Demarcho
Hi there, and thank you for your review on our hotel! I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and your suite. The Foggy Bottom neighborhood is a wonderful setting for our hotel. You are close enough to DC's sites by either walking or the Metro, yet far enough away from the noise of a big city to relax and really enjoy yourself. Like you, I love the size of our suites. It's like having your very own apartment in the city! I am sorry to hear that you found our valet parking to be a con for your stay. In our neighborhood, as well as the rest of the city, parking can be difficult and comes at a high premium. I hope that this does not deter you from returning to us someday! Please give us a call sometime so we can look at some dates and rates for you. Again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again at The River Inn.
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The River Inn has been remodeled with a modern design and has a clean, contemporary, but warm feel. My Junior Suite was spacious, with a dressing area, sleeping/living area, beautiful desk and kitchen. The room has plenty of warm lighting. While I didn't use the kitchen on this visit, I would on a longer stay. The kitchen was completely hidden behind a partition wall, which made the sleeping/living space very pleasant. It is a fine hotel for either a business trip (good desk, chair, lighting and WiFi) or a vacation stay.

The restaurant, Dish, is excellent. Attentive service and delicious food, with an interesting menu and a fine wine list.

All River Inn staff members welcome and help customers as a priority. For example, I walked to work and the door staff helped me willingly and knowledgeably with directions when I set out the first morning.

If I have a reason to return to this beautiful DC neighborhood I will stay at the River Inn again.

1 Thank PRS930
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hello there! Thank you very much for the kind review on your stay at The River Inn. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. As you mentioned, we have been recently modernized. I love our sleek, new look, and I'm glad that you did too! I find our suites to be very spacious, and they are perfect for business trips and family vacations. It is great that you had the opportunity to dine at our in-house restaurant, Dish + Drinks. They have amazing food and service! Also, thank you for the nice comments on our front desk and bell staff, they are more than happy to ensure that you enjoy your stay and that you get to where you're going! Again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to your next visit.
Damariscotta, Maine
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I spend one week each month in Washington, DC and am delighted that I'm able to stay at the River Inn. This is the total package; location, room amenities, facilities, staff service and on site restaurant (Dish). The front desk staff and bellmen are welcoming, friendly and service-oriented. The rooms (and beds) are comfortable and allow a choice for the traveler to either eat out or use the full kitchen to prepare a meal. With it's recent refurbishment, the River Inn provides a great alternative to hotel chains and real value for the price. I'm happy to say it's my home away from home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Greetings, and thank you very much for your great review on The River Inn! We appreciate your continued business, and I'm glad to hear that we are your home away from home. Just like you, I see our hotel as the complete package for the perfect stay! Our location can't be beat, we have spacious suites with full kitchenettes (just like having your own apartment in DC!), great amenities, and amazing staff. I am glad that you have also tried our in-house restaurant, Dish + Drinks. We are looking forward to your next stay with us. Thanks again for your kind words, and we'll see you next time at The River Inn!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I try to stay at the River Inn whenever business for travel for pleasure takes me to the area. The location is perfect, the suite allows you to make your own meals and staff is very helpful. I was there in November and the room was a little dated and tired. However, with my most recent December trip, I found the room to be well appointed, clean, and the carpeting and bed linens and couch were new and the shower head was similar to what you would find in a spa. I will definitely continue to stay at the River Inn whenever I am in the DC area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mrauktisphd
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hello, and thank you very much for your stays at The River Inn! We greatly appreciate your repeat business. As you indicated, our rooms were a little worn out before. However, as you saw with your stay in December, we have been undergoing a modernization process in our suites. I'm glad you got to see what our improved suites look like! Simple changes like carpeting, linens, and a new sofa bed make a big difference! Thank you so much for continuing to stay with us, we are looking forward to your next visit at The River Inn.
Keswick, Virginia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at The River Inn in mid-December. Our junior suite was well appointed, spacious, clean, and comfortable. The location is a short walk to The Kennedy Center, National Mall, and Georgetown shopping. We tried the restaurant for a pre-theater dinner and had excellent meals. The hotel staff was welcoming and friendly. We will be returning to The River Inn and have recommended it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan P
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Hello there, and thank you very much for choosing The River Inn for your visit to DC! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, thank you for the great compliments to our staff (housekeeping, Dish + Drinks, and front desk). I am happy that we all could be a part of your trip. Our hotel is in a great location, nicely tucked away in the quiet Foggy Bottom neighborhood, yet close enough to many of DC's attractions such as the National Mall and Georgetown. We are looking forward to your next visit, and happy holidays to you both! Thanks for staying at The River Inn.