“Great hotel”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #13 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I try to stay at the River Inn whenever business for travel for pleasure takes me to the area. The location is perfect, the suite allows you to make your own meals and staff is very helpful. I was there in November and the room was a little dated and tired. However, with my most recent December trip, I found the room to be well appointed, clean, and the carpeting and bed linens and couch were new and the shower head was similar to what you would find in a spa. I will definitely continue to stay at the River Inn whenever I am in the DC area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrauktisphd
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Hello, and thank you very much for your stays at The River Inn! We greatly appreciate your repeat business. As you indicated, our rooms were a little worn out before. However, as you saw with your stay in December, we have been undergoing a modernization process in our suites. I'm glad you got to see what our improved suites look like! Simple changes like carpeting, linens, and a new sofa bed make a big difference! Thank you so much for continuing to stay with us, we are looking forward to your next visit at The River Inn.

There are newer reviews for The River Inn

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at The River Inn in mid-December. Our junior suite was well appointed, spacious, clean, and comfortable. The location is a short walk to The Kennedy Center, National Mall, and Georgetown shopping. We tried the restaurant for a pre-theater dinner and had excellent meals. The hotel staff was welcoming and friendly. We will be returning to The River Inn and have recommended it to our friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan P
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Hello there, and thank you very much for choosing The River Inn for your visit to DC! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, thank you for the great compliments to our staff (housekeeping, Dish + Drinks, and front desk). I am happy that we all could be a part of your trip. Our hotel is in a great location, nicely tucked away in the quiet Foggy Bottom neighborhood, yet close enough to many of DC's attractions such as the National Mall and Georgetown. We are looking forward to your next visit, and happy holidays to you both! Thanks for staying at The River Inn.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was my first time visiting DC and this hotel made my stay even more enjoyable. The service (front desk) expectional, location wonderful near Georgetown , rooms are clean, beds are so comfortable, breakfast is fantastic and just can't wait to go to DC again. Would definitely stay at thsi hotel again, again and again!!!

1  Thank Mandy244
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Greetings! Thank you for staying with us at The River Inn. I am glad to hear that we made your first trip to DC a memorable one. Thank you for your comments on our front desk staff and housekeeping as well, we appreciate the feedback. It's great that you were able to try the breakfast at our in-house restaurant, Dish + Drinks, they have great food! I am glad that this hotel was the right fit for your visit to DC, we look forward to seeing you again sometime!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I love the River Inn and stay there several times a year ( I don’t want to stay anywhere else because I count on the coffee maker and my sister lives around the corner). They usually spoil me as a regular customer however on this trip, I must finally admit, some of the wonderful things that made it so special have gone by the wayside.

First: The person at check in was like ice (not all the staff are this way). We had several dealings with her and we felt unwelcome. She seemed suspicious of every request we had.

Second: through the years the wonderful things they did that made it so unique are gone. Most recently the loss of the "welcome back” letter and cookie and of course missing was the soft brown throw blanket that was always a pleasure to sit with on a cold evening; No longer are there umbrellas in the room for rainy days; the robes too are long gone.

Third: Wear and Tear- it appears they are updating and repairing some floors and I am sure the room we stayed in is overdue for new carpet .

Fourth: The pillows are too huge and like a big lump of clay.

But you can’t beat this location if you have family in Foggy Bottom and like to come in at
National airport and metro to hotel, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank honestchobe

Hello there, and thank you for your review on The River Inn. We appreciate your return to us on your most recent trip to DC. I am sorry to hear that some parts of your stay were unpleasant. We are definitely taking your feedback as a way to improve our hotel's operations, including the front desk and housekeeping. Please know that we are more than happy to provide items upon request for our guests, including bathrobes and extra pillows and blankets. You are correct in the fact that we are currently modernizing our suites, which are all getting new carpeting, furniture, etc. I do hope that you give us another chance, especially to come back and see the new look of the suites! We are looking forward to your next visit at The River Inn.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The River Inn was a stab in the dark originally. Turned out to be a prefect place tp stay in a quiet and safe location just minutes stroll to all,the attractions,shops and restaurants.
The rooms are spacious and very comfortable,although we had extras staying on a pull out sofa (compliments of Hurricane Sandy) the sofa bed was very uncomfortable.
We ate in the hotel restaurant on one occasion and the food and service was very good.
Overall a great place to stay and recommend it as great value.

1  Thank SydneyRossco

Greetings, and thank you for your review on The River Inn! I'm glad that you chose to stay with us, sometimes you find the best places as a "stab in the dark" option, even in situations such as Hurricane Sandy. Our location works out very well for our guests, I am glad that you found that convenient during your stay. I am sorry to hear that your sofa bed was a bit uncomfortable. We are actually going through a modernization process in the hotel right now, which includes getting brand new sofa beds in all of our suites! We would love to have you come back to us sometime so you can see all of our changes. Find out about upcoming dates and rates by visiting our website or by calling the hotel directly at 202-337-7600 (toll free at 1-800-874-0100). We look forward to seeing you again sometime! Thank you for choosing The River Inn.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have been in 3-5 stars hotels in Argentina (Buenos Aires), Bolivia (Sta Cruz de la Sierra), Chile (Santiago), Colombia (Bogota, Medellin & Bucaramanga), Costa Rica (San Jose), Italy (Milan, Bolzano, Chiavenna, Livigno, Canazei, Missurina, Sirmeone, Venice, Florence and Rome), U.S.A. (Atlanta [three times], Miami Beach, New Orleans, Philadelphia [three times] & Washington DC [four times), Peru (Lima[6 times], and, of course, Venezuela (countless of times), and I was surprised to find and have the honor and pleasure to stay in this hotel which I found to be the greatest hotel of all in terms of convenience - located just right near to all important touristic attractions -, valuable price - very economic for the comfort and attentions that we received -, extremely nice and helpful employees - from the door man to the housekeeping lady-, and very big and very well equipped suites. In conclusion everything one host can dream to find when looking for a hotel to stay during a relaxing vacation. My wife, grandson and were very satisfied with The River Inn hotel are very grateful to its staff for their kind, nice and efficient attention that we received. Congratulations to the owner(s), manager(s) and employees, you will last for ever. Needless to say that we will repeat our stay next year when we return to Washington DC for the traditional annual meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, which will held from November 4 – 10, 2013. We´ll never forget you!
Dr. Guillermo Comach
Maracay, Venezuela
Phone: 58-416-5432116

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GComach
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Hello there sir, and thank you very much for your great review on The River Inn! I am very proud of our property and staff, and I'm glad to see that we rank so highly in all of your personal hotel experiences. Convenience, as you pointed out, is a great factor in staying with us. We are close to many of DC's attractions, such as the National Mall and the shopping of Georgetown, as well as public transportation options. I agree with you that our staff is very nice and helpful, we do whatever we can to ensure you have a pleasant stay. We are looking forward to your next visit with us, thank you again for choosing The River Inn!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were traveling with friends on a long weekend. The staff is exceptionally friendly. We ate breakfast everyday at the hotel and found the service very good and the food, as well. They are currently in the process of remodeling and plan to be finished before the inaguration (2013). The Foggy Bottom Metro is very close. We would stay here again and would recommend to others.

1  Thank dwight f
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Hello there, thanks for your review on our hotel! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time here with us. I agree in that we have an amazingly friendly staff. It's good that you were able to try our restaurant, Dish + Drinks, as well! I love their food. You are right in that we are going through a modernization process here at the hotel, you will definitely have to come back and see all the changes! Thank you again, and we hope to see you back at The River Inn!