“Comfortable and good location”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #77 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Montague
“Comfortable and good location”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the location. It was excellent for walking to many areas of business in DC. Metro was nearby. The bed was very comfortable, the room rather plain. I don't think that any real views are possible in this location, but i could be wrong. I had a view of a parking lot. The hotel was quite busy, with lots of guests coming and going at all times. The staff were very helpful and gracious. The rooms were extremely clean and housekeeping paid attention to details. Overall, the level of service and the location were great, the actual bed was excellent and the ambience was okay. I will likely return because of the proximity to my work. I will be working on upgrades, but it remains to be seen how much that will improve the plain furnishings and the lack of any view.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Markey2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stay in this hotel when working with Washington DC clients - and it is always a good experience. My rooms have been spacious and clean and, almost always, upgraded since I am a Platinum Marriott member. Unlike others, I had no issues at all with the internet - it worked perfectly. I do think it would be helpful, however, if there were additional power plugs - especially next to the beds. The front desk staff is helpful, friendly, and accommodating, as is the concierge. Even the security guard was friendly and helpful!

The concierge lounge is nice, large, has ample seating, and the food selections are quite good. The woman who runs the concierge lounge, in the evenings, is outstanding - her customer skills and desire to be helpful are appreciated. If you will be using the concierge lounge, it is helpful to ask for a room in that tower.

The hotel location is convenient - to the Capitol, museums, Chinatown, and other attractions - all are easily within walking distance.

I do recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: If using the concierge lounge, ask for a room in that tower.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Whittier, California
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

I was very pleased with our 6 day stay at the Renaissance. The staff was quite accommodating. We flew in on a red eye flight which brought us into town quite early and the hotel allowed us into our room by 9:00 am!! We were so appreciative! We also enjoyed take out appetizers from the lounge and the staff packed it up with ease. Thank you Renaissance Hotel for being an excellent host to our NSA conference.

• Stayed July 2014
Jamestown, NC
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week over the July 4th holiday because the hotel held a conference we were attending during the last half of our stay. Almost all staff members we encountered were very friendly. They accommodated my request for a room away from the street, and it was very quiet on the 12th floor. The gentleman who checked us in called about 15 minutes later to make sure everything was okay in our room. The navigator (concierge) who works during the day was very helpful with making dinner reservations and even printing out a map of how to walk there. The navigator who works in the evening was not as friendly and very curt in answering a simple question we had. The staff at the sports bar, snack market, and breakfast place were all extremely friendly. The food we ate was the best hotel food experience we've ever had. The nachos, mashed potatoes, and crab cake are especially delicious.

The room was very clean and large. I'm a bigger person who usually cannot fit into hotel chairs, but I was able to comfortably sit in both the reclining chair with the ottoman and the office chair. The team who redesigned the rooms had useful touches like the small reading lights in the headboard of the bed, the safe in a drawer by the bed, and the sliding door to save room in the bath area. I prefer a softer bed and thought the bed was too firm. However, my husband slept great and had no complaints about the bed. The art was also great, like the wallpaper in the bathroom with the pictures of historical DC. We usually didn't have to wait more than a few minutes for an elevator even with the hotel filling up as the week went on. The lobby was large (and loud) but had several smaller lounge-type spaces around the perimeter to encourage people to hang out and talk.

The hotel is right across from the Carnegie Library and just a few blocks from the Chinatown metro stop. There are all kinds of restaurants within a few blocks from fast food like Quiznos and Panera to upscale places like Del Campo. The Old Town Trolley also has a shuttle that comes right to the hotel for customers. The meeting spaces for our conference on the lowest floor were extremely cold. I think the air conditioning was probably refreshing when coming from outside in July, but when you are sitting in it for hours during workshops and meetings it was too cold.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
clarkwgriswold
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I spent four days at this hotel for our son's wedding.

The hotel is very convenient to Chinatown and the Verizon Center area.

The rooms are very nice, with a large television and newer furniture. Very good housekeeping staff, and the staff overall was very friendly and helpful. We had what sounded to be a domestic situation in a nearby room one night and security responded quickly and handled the situation in a most professional manner.

The only downside was a brunch for the guests held the last morning we were there in 15 Squares Restaurant. We repeatedly had to look for employees for assistance throughout the morning, when they should have been standing by for the service fee charged.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank theclarkfamily3
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I spent five nights at the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel, and would be happy to stay again. The location is great, not just for things around the hotel but for anywhere accessible by the Metro system (there are two stations within a very short walk). My room was comfortable and surprisingly quiet for a downtown hotel (not much you can do about the ubiquitous DC sirens, but other than that it was quiet). The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful, and I mean all of them--front desk, concierge, restaurant staff, housekeepers.

There were only two things that were a bit annoying. One was the internet service. It worked (I never had a problem getting connected and staying connected), but it was slow. Perhaps if I had upgraded to the more expensive service it would have been better. The second thing was the air conditioning. Again, it worked fine in getting the room to the desired temperature, but then it had a tendency to shut off. Not just the fan and cooling mechanism stopping, like you would expect with any thermostat-controlled system. I mean, it shut right off. Power off. At first I thought this was just an energy-saving device, but when the room started to heat up again and the system didn't go on again, I had to physically turn it back on to get the room to cool again. Fine during times when I was working there during the day, but not so fine at night. Maybe I'm just picky because I like to work in a cool room and sleep in a cold one, but it did get annoying.

Despite these relatively minor complaints, however, I was very happy with my stay, and would probably choose this hotel again for its location, comfort, and the great attitude of the staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel for two nights in late June. Our niece was being married in a church nearby with the reception across the street from the hotel at the Carneige Library. The hotel was centrally located for what we needed within the city. We walked to the White House one evening and visited the National Portrait Gallery nearby too. The beds were a bit soft for my taste and the pillows were too. The bathroom door is a sliding one that doesn't close all the way (to make the bathroom clearly sealed off from the bedroom area). The sink was also in the bathroom rather than outside the toilet/shower area, allowing only one person to get ready at a time which was an issue when preparing for a wedding. The room doors also slammed if you didn't hold onto them - this was an issue in the mornings and late at night when guests in other rooms let their doors go. The crab soup via room service was awesome! The staff was also very professional and helpful. The lobby was well laid-out with many small gathering areas and a bar where the wedding's welcome reception for family was held.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family