“Great Spot in DC”

Ranked #78 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Tampa, Florida
“Great Spot in DC”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance one night- nice room - very busy with patrons in a great part of town. Concierge was very helpful in suggesting a restaurant nearby. Had a beer in the lobby bar and service was excellent. I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and had the buffet - food was excellent with many choices and a chef for made-to-order options. Although the hotel was a bit pricey, I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear millertime59,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am so glad you chose to stay for us for the evening!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed a beer in our miXX Lounge and you enjoyed breakfast the next morning in 15 Squares.

I hope you have the opportunity to return to DC in the future and you will stay with us again!

All the best in the New Year!!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Medford, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here while attending a confernce at the confernce center which is jsut across the street. The rooms are well equiped and very clean, although a bit small. The staff were friendly and accomodating. We had lunch at the pub here which was good and priced fairly.

Room Tip: Across the street from the convention center. Chinatown is 4 blocks away.
Dear Shelley R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel.

I do hope that if your travels return you to our Nation's Capital that you will stay with us again.

All the best in 2014!

Tring, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

From our first step through the door to our last I was thrilled with my experience of this hotel. The staff were very courteous and friendly. The room was excellently appointed and the conference facilities were top class. The only downside was accessing the club level restaurant for breakfast and dinner, often it wasn't open as advertised and at busy times there wasn't enough tables. But really this is only a minor complaint. I would certainly stay here again the next time I am in the US Capitol.

1 Thank Chris A
Dear Chris A,

Thank you for writing a great review about our hotel. I am thrilled that you were thrilled from the moment you walked into our hotel with your experience.

I did note you comments on our Club Lounge. From time to time, we do experience large volumes in the lounge and it can get busy. Both Margaret and Beverly do try their best to insure every discoverer can find a place to sit and enjoy the lounge. However, we continually look for new opportunities to improve our service so we will be discussing further options in the new year.

Please do come back to visit if you return to Washington, DC!

Chicago
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the most comfortable, best serviced hotels at which I have stayed. They have a nice gym as well. The only thing that would have been nice was free in room wifi.
The meeting facilities, the concierge service and the food were all top notch.

Stayed October 2013
Dear HrayrA,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel.

I appreciate your feedback about how comfortable our hotel is as well as recognizing our amazing fitness center. We do offer free wi-fi in our lobby to encourage our discoverers to join us in our lobby which is truly conducive for conducting business as well as meeting a colleague for Starbuck's or a signature cocktail in our miXX Lounge.

Thank you again for the review - we look forward to having you stay with us in the future if your travels return you to Washington, DC.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on 11/20/13 at about 1:30 in the morning, tired but really excited about our conference. To our amazement the receptionist Ms Lisa seemed annoyed that we were checking in that late. I had called the hotel on Tuesday morning to let them know of arrival late time. Ms Lisa the front desk receptionist did not welcome us, I actually had to say good morning we are her to check in. After checking the computer; Ms Lisa then proceeded to convince me that there were no other rooms except for the one that she was offering me. Which was one double bed with a pull out couch, she said it was an upgrade and that we didn't have to pay anything extra and that we should be happy to get this room. I explained to Ms Lisa that we reserved a room with two double beds, but she insisted that was all they had. I then explained to her that we will look at the room but if we didn't like it we will return. I witnessed her unprofessional behavior after which she then proceeded to converse with another staff member while we waited. After waiting for sometime she then told us that she doesn't have time for us to go and check out the room, she would put us up in another room. Again we were told there were no other rooms available. Where did this room miraculously come from? After the check in process was completed, I asked for some assistance in getting our luggage to the room, she said there was no help available. We got our bags to our rooms and at this time it was already late. I made sure to stop at the from desk in the morning and ask to speak to the Supervisor in charge. Ms Lisa told me that she would hand over my concerns and that someone would get back to me. Later that morning I approached Ms Nichole the Guest Navigator and told her of our concerns and the way we were treated. Immediately Ms Nichole got the supervisor on duty Ms Louisa. I explained to Ms Louisa our dissatisfaction and the unprofessional way we in which we were treated and that we wanted to put it in writing. Ms Louisa told us she would investigate the matter and got back to me. To date I have not gotten any response from Ms Louisa or anyone in charge. Ms Louisa also told me that the hotel was over sold and that many guest had to be sent to other hotels and I should feel lucky that I got a room. I certainly did not appreciate her comment.

I must point out this is not my first incidence with this particular hotel. A few years ago I attended an Early Childhood Conference and had a horrible experience. You may ask why did I return, It was the Professional manner in which myself and colleagues were treated after the occurrence.
We checked late that night and had to change room three times that night before we agreed to settle for a room. The rooms were smelly apparently there was a flood and the rugs in the rooms got wet and some of the rooms were smelling really horrible. We complained in the morning, the Supervisor really follow-up and made us feel comfortable throughout our stay. We received daily phone calls to ask us if everything was OK. That supervisor went above and beyond her duty for us. She also gave us complementary breakfast and snacks in the suite. Shortly before we checked out; the then supervisor told me the next time we returned she would give us complementary breakfast as well. She also told me that she would ensure that it would be in the system.

I brought this to the attention of Ms Lisa and she said to me that there have been so many turn over in staff and a change in the computerize system and she doubt that it would be there.

On a good note, I would like to recognize Nichole the front guest Navigator. She did what no other did for us. She took our concerns seriously and got the supervisor. It was great to see her morning, she always had a happy smile on our face and took the time out to ask us about our stay and actually suggested that we go out and see some of Washington. She is very funny and made us laugh, we were all disappointed that we didn't get to say good bye her.

I hope no other guest have to experience what we went through.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Valerie3370,

Thank you so much for your recent Trip Advisor posting. Jason and I are writing to you about your past stay at the Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies. From the nature of your comments, it appears we fell considerably short in our efforts to provide the service and accommodations you have come to expect from Renaissance. I understand how important flawless service is to our guests, as well as prompt and reliable care. Since you have taken the time to write about your experience, please reach out to Jason or myself so we may personally discuss your experience. I can be reached at Sharon.lockwood@renaissancehotels.com or you may reach Jason Geiger, our Front Office Manager at Jason.geiger@renaissancehotels.com. Once again, thank you so much for your feedback we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sharon Lockwood and Jason Geiger
General Manager and Front Office Manager
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time in DC for business and the first time at this hotel. I would choose this spot again, for sure. Rooms were exceptionally quiet and clean. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The valet service was exceptional. Perfect if you are going to the DC Convention Center. Walking distance to so many restaurants and shops. Excellent value as well.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear behindeverycloud,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Our hotel is the perfect location when visiting our Nation's Capital - close to everything and an amazing lobby and room waiting for your return.

Please DO stay with us again when your travels return you to DC!

Boston
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference at the convention center and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm a Marriott Rewards member and have stayed at other Renaissance locations, and this one is definitely a cut above. I really liked the room doors, which look like those you'd see in a private home. My king-bedded room was pleasant, clean and quiet. I liked the decor in the bathroom, which consisted of political photos. The lobby area was dark but attractive and the staff helpful. Only downside was no free internet.

Dear betsy1224,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I do agree that our guest rooms feel like home - they are very functional yet whimsical at the same time.

I understand your frustration about internet in guest rooms; may I invite you down to our lobby in the future where the internet is free. You can enjoy your favorite Starbucks drink in the morning or perhaps try a "kiss of Pearsuasion" cocktail in our miXX lounge in the evening!