“My Favorite Hotel in DC”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #79 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My Favorite Hotel in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is my go-to hotel anytime I stay in DC. I have yet to be disappointed and I've stayed here three times in the last year. The lobby is beautiful, staff are friendly and location and amenities are wonderful. The last two times I stayed here I took advantage of the spa, which had reasonable prices. I also love staying in a corner suite because its very spacious; definitely worth the extra money. I have never had issues with housekeeping and they respond quickly with extra towels needed or with anything you've forgotten to bring. There are tons of restaurant options in the hotel and within walking distance. The parking fees are a bit high so if you don't have to, don't bring a vehicle, the metro is nearby. You can also catch taxis to nearby U street and Adams Morgan for a very low cost. I will be back to again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JenniferAH11
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear jahornbuckle,

Thank you for nominating our hotel as your "favorite hotel in DC" - we are honored to hold that distinction!

I agree that we are close to everything DC has to offer - and our favorites such as Adams Morgan are only a short distance away!

I appreciate that you take advantage of the Aura Spa, located on the third floor of our hotel, along with Vida Fitness Center (where you can book a personal trainer first, before your deserved treatment if you choose).

We look forward to another "threepete" this year and have you visit us again...and again...and again! Please let me know when your travels return you to our Nation's Capital!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I accompanied my wife on her business trip to Washington D.C. because neither of us had been there before. This hotel is five star in a five star location. The rooms were comfortable and very well designed. We had an issue with the bath tub stopping up but maintenance was there to solve the problem before I got off the phone good. Chinatown, the Smithsonian and the Verizon Wireless Arena was approximately a block away. The White House and the Capitol was about a mile away. If any of you are football fans Pierre Garcon, wide receiver for the Washington Redskins, as well as some of the players for the Philadelphia eagles were staying there because they were playing each other in a Monday night game. The reason I mentioned that is because if the hotel is good enough for millionaires it was good enough for me and should be good enough for you.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing Ninth street woud give you a great view of the Washington monument and possib...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alan S
Dear Alan S,

Thank you so much for writing such an enlived review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Dowtown Hotel. What more can you ask for? Amazing, comfortable well-designed rooms, close proximity to all that is our Nation's Capital and professional football players, too!

We hope you return to our Nation's Capital and stay with us again...may I mention that we also have the Capital's hockey team and Nationals' baseball team...you never know! : )

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We have recently retuned to Scotland after a fantastic time in Washington. This was a special trip for our son's 16th birthday. On arrival at the hotel we were chatting to Nathan, head of housekeeping, re our plans. He was lovely and friendly and answered all the many questions that we had. We checked in to the room and not long after received complimentary room service arranged by Nathan. This was totally unexpected and we received a follow up call from him wishing us a pleasant stay. This was a lovely gesture and we hope you can pass on our thanks again. There was also a call received after check in to ask if everything was ok with our room. We did not get callers name but conveyed to her this was the "best hotel room" we had ever stayed in. This was a lovely gesture and one that we have not had from another hotel.
The room was spotless and the choice of channels to watch on the TV was excellent. The facility to order from a selections of films was just the entertainment we needed after a long day sightseeing. (reasonably priced). Complimentary chocolates were also given at night. We also appreciated the complimentary umbrellas that we could request on the rainy days. (we should have known better to bring our own given our weather at home!) The reception area was amazing and the charging points for phones was appreciated. We would also like to pass on our thanks to Teddy for being the most pleasant member of hotel staff we have ever met. Teddy advised us that he was happy when "he knew he had made guests happy". He certainly did that for us. He was very knowledgeable and was happy to talk to us when we were passing. Indeed he was so friendly we made a point in speaking to him! Please pass on our thanks to him and we are sorry we did not have chance to say bye! We hope he liked the Scottish coins we left as a little thank you.
Although we enjoyed our stay we do think the hotel was aimed at the corporate market but however the location, facilities and friendliness of staff will hopefully see us back in the next couple of years.
With thanks
Three happy travellers

ps we loved the cut out wall art in the bedroom of various presidents. Can you advise where we can purchase?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Scotsman2013,

I am so thrilled to hear that the "three happy travellers" made it home safely - what excited me was that both Nathan from our style (housekeeping) team and Teddy from our bellstand team made your son's 16th birthday truly memorable.

The staff at this hotel truly loves listening to your stories about what brings you to our hotel and our Nation's Capital - we take you stories and create memories that will last a lifetime.

We look forward to your return in a few years!

Greater Lansing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Very impressed with the location being easily walkable to restaurants in the area. Due to a conference, the hotel prepared in advance by staffing numerous check in agents, resulting in no waiting. My room was not quite ready due to an early arrival, but as promised I received a cell call telling me the room was ready later that afternoon. The room appeared to be recently renovated; there were ample power outlets including a powered USB port I used to charge my phone. A quality stay overall.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jason J,

Thank you for writing a nice review about our hotel. As you mentioned, despite a large convention in town, you were able to get checked in to your room as soon as possible.

Our rooms were recently re-invented with plenty of outlets and charging application for your iphone. We listened to our discoverers and wanted to insure you had all the necesssary items so we can be your "home away from home."

Please do come back to visit!

Trinidad and Tobago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

the place lacks anything you need, the reception hall is pretty unfriendly and cold, just some fancy furniture will not lure people to sit down there!
The rooms lack any essentials, like a water bottle, or thicker doors for noise insulation.

I am disappointed, paid > 400$ for a dismal place.

PS iasked for a plug to convert europ to us specs, the frontdesk adviced me to go outside and buy one at the next shop - this was at 10pm in the evening!!

pps:
No newspapers, nothing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear FOL-1003,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I certainly understand your frustration of our hotel not meeting your expectations. I want to assure you that our meeting space will be renovated soon so that our reception hall will be as friendly, warm and inviting as the rest of the hotel.

I apologize that we did not have an adaptor for your use while here. I have shared your comments regarding a plug to convert to europe and our front office manager has added these items to our stock for future requests.

We hope that you give us another opportunity if visiting Washington, DC in the future.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is very nice, from the lobby/lounge area to the rooms to the spa/fitness center. The rooms are spacious, with nice comfortable beds, couch and a desk in case you're there to work. The rooms have mini fridges and coffee makers as well as robes. But there's a starbucks in the hotel so you're better off there for coffee. I didn't think the rooms were noisy; maybe I just got lucky. It did look like the maids were in a hurry when they cleaned the room before my stay, bc I found a dirty towel and a pair of pantyhose in the room.
You can check out umbrellas from the hotel front desk.
The main draw back for me was the price. It is a bit steep; specially the hotel bar. Just go out and walk down 7th street and you'll find a ton of cheaper alternatives.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fed M,

Thank you for writing a review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. I truly appreciate your feedback about our rooms and location.

I certainly understand your dismay of finding a few items left from a previous guest. I have shared your feedback with our style managers so they can review with their team for educational purposes.

I do hope that you consider staying at our hotel when your future travels return you to our Nation's Capital!

Glen Carbon, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

conference rooms, meals served, and staff are excellent. received great service from all employees i interacted with. rooms were very clean and have big comfy beds. only complaint is the amount of noise; you can hear everything from the hall and rooms next to you. other than that, great stay.

Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Kris R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We were happy to have you stay with us during your conference.

I do understand, that on occasion, the city sounds can be a bit noisy in our downtown location. I apologize that you experienced this during your stay.

I hope that in the future, you will choose to stay with us again!