“comfortable and clean”

Ranked #79 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Pretoria, South Africa
“comfortable and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Reception was friendly and fast and though our room looked right into offices,it was spacious and clean,it was odd having morning coffee in paper cups but at least one had coffee machines in the room and the coffee itself was delicious,the bathroom was ample,and the water was warm much sooner than in many hotels I,ve stayed in.The hotel is well placed if one is wanting to enjoy the museums,libraries and the more cultural side of Washington,but though there are some shops spotted around,it'll take quite a car trip to get to any malls.With that being said China Town is just around the corner,though I myself haven't ventured far into it,so can't vouch for the shopping.There are plenty of eating places to choose from,as well as a restaurant in the hotel and a Starbucks in the reception area.Altogether it was quite an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Shirley v,

Thank you so much for visiting us from South Africa! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that our guest rooms exceeded your expectations.

We are very convenient to the many sites of Washington, DC; however, if you choose not to walk, our metro subway is very clean and easy to maneuver throughout the city and outlying areas such as Pentagon City (where there is an amazing shopping mall)!

We do hope, if your travels return you to the states and our Nation's Capital that you will choose to stay with us again!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Melbourne Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I flew in prior to commencing a set tour a few days later. I found my room a little dark and it was absolutely no issue to change it. Desk staff, navigator staff and housekeeping brilliant. I cannot find fault and the construction issue occurs world wide!
Boston a few days later, they were doing road works at the front of that hotel from 10pm til 2am, that's right, 2am!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Baci09
Dear Baci09,

Thank you for staying at the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel before beginning your tour of the United States.

I appreciate your feedback about your original room; however, I am delighted that our reception staff changed your room promptly for you.

You are correct, Washington, DC does have a lot of new buildings added to our horizon; however, I am very glad that we do not experience ALL NIGHT construction as you had mentioned in other US cities.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

There is a lot of construction going on near this hotel. It's in a great location near China Town and the Verizon Center. A drawback, don't get a room facing the main street. Between the construction noise and sirens in the area, you many have trouble sleeping. The hotel is quite nice, I attended a conference and the rooms and spacing was quite nice. As expected for the area, the hotel and restaurants are quite expensive. The bathroom had some cleanliness issues, although overall the room was nice.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room facing the main street, its very loud!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sarvs66
Dear savrs66,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel and your recent experience.

I appreciate the fact that some of our rooms are currently facing a construction site - I'm happy to say that they are at the end of the project and when CityCenterDC is completed, it will have plenty of shops, nightlife and retail that will replace the construction area.

I have shared your experience about your cleanliness concerns with our style department so that they can educate their team on the focus needed in all areas of the guest room.

Despite these opportunities you presented in your review, I do hope that you visit us again in the future!

Tupelo, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

The rooms in this hotel were very roomy and very comfortable. Nice bathroom. The staff was excellent. The navigator was very helpful to us, going beyond the call of duty to help. The lobby was spacious with lots of seating. The location was very good with many restaurants near by.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear msbelle,

Thank you for writing a review about your October stay at our hotel.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your room and our staff - I agree, they are excellent!

Please come back and visit us again!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Room, bar, lobby, rest, Starbucks etc all nice in central location. Poor form of hotel not to tell guests about construction starting every morning at six. Should be on website. If u can get a quiet room it's an excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear andrewv45,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel and thank you for letting me know the start time of the construction in the area.

I will reach out to the city to inform them of the early start as they are supposed to be quiet until at least 7am on weekdays.

I do apologize that you did experience construction noise that early; please come back and visit next year as they will be completed with the CityCenterDC project which will have 300,000 square feet of retail, restaurants and nightlife!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I wasn't at this hotel a long time, but what I saw while I was there was excellent. The front desk staff were great and checking in and out was easy and pleasant. The room was really nice, as were the public areas of the hotel. Aside from all that, the location is outstanding and is one of the reasons we picked this hotel. The hotel is near the Convention Center and very close to Chinatown and Penn Quarter. There is a lot to do nearby.

I didn't eat or drink at the hotel, so can't rate the quality of the bar/restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RedSavage,

We wish you didn't have to leave our hotel, too!

I am so glad that you had a great experience at the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. I agree that our staff is great, our rooms extremely nice and our location...outstanding.

We hope that your next visit is longer so you can enjoy all the amenities our hotel has to offer!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Located close to Chinatown, with lots of great resturants in the neighbourhood, this is the cleanest hotel with absolutely the best staff. My daughter has severe allergies and we had stayed in different hotels in DC, this was the only one where she woke up feeling fine. The staff is outstanding and very professional. Bethany at the front desk is exceptional, very professional, kind and compassionate. She is extremly helpful. Beverly in the lounge another amazing person, she is so welcoming and warm. The housekeeping here do the best job consistently. Generally at most hotel if you stay for a week or so the quality of work decreases, but not here., it remains world class. We will be visiting DC often and this hotel will be our home away from home.
I congratulate you on having world class people work here who are willing to walk the extra mile to make this hotel The Best in DC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank adma2013
Dear adma2013,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel and your recent experience. I certainly understand your concern to insure that your daughter, who has severe allergies, has a comfortable place to stay while away from home. I am happy that you found her haven at our hotel.

I will recommend Bethany and Beverly for Marriott's Spirit to Serve Award for the exceptional service they provided during your stay.

I know that your travels will return you to DC often and hope that we become your "home away from home."