“Quality hotel 15 mins walk from The White House”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #77 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
united kingdom
“Quality hotel 15 mins walk from The White House”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Free wi-fi in reception area, fantastic gym, the only negative is the pool which is a single user only resistance pool and seemed never to be used. Kids not allowed to use it. Rooms are modern, good size and the beds comfy. The bathroom is stylish with good quality shampoos etc. This is a conference hotel, but don't let this put you off it is ideal if you are staying for 2 or 3 days in DC with the family. Reception staff are charming and very helpful. Overall I would recommend this hotel for couples or families with teenage kids. Thank you for making our stay brilliant!

Room Tip: Some building work going so ask for a quieter room, the gym is on floor 3
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear hutch197036,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our amazing Renaissance hotel.

I am thrilled that you brought your family with you to enjoy all that our Nation's Capital has to offer - right out our front door!

We hope that if your travels return you to the US, you take time to come back to DC and stay with us again!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were very impressed when we checked in. The lobby was very nice with plenty of areas to sit and talk, read, check email, etc. We had a drink in the Presidents Bar before going up to the room which was very pleasant. The room also looked very nice. It was clean. Comfortable with a desk area, lounge chair, large bathroom, although drawer space was a little limited. The only issue was the bed. It was VERY HARD. And I like a hard bed, but even I thought it was hard. There was also an issue the first night with noise. The door to the hall did little to buffer the noise as people went to and from their rooms. Most nights it was not an issue, but one night someone on the hall was apparently rather intoxicated, which she felt the need to repeat to her companion repeatedly.
Overall the hotel was very nice. Even with the hard bed it was still comfortable and I was able to sleep well. The pros definitely outweighed the cons.

Room Tip: Make sure the select your bed preference when you make your reservation. The hotel was sold out our...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hollyf3,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about our hotel. I appreciate that you enjoyed our lobby and Presidents Sports Bar.

I truly do apologize if you thought our beds were too hard. As we recently renovated our hotel which included new beds, you may have thought them too hard. Please do let us know in the future was we can add additional pillow toppers to your bed for a softer feel.

Thank you again for your comments.

Irvington, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance for a conference. This is a really big conference hotel, with a huge ballroom and other meeting rooms on two levels below the lobby. There is a really nice lobby, a nice sports bar (overpriced, but the humus was really good) and an upscale restaurant (I didn't eat there).

Great customer service. Everyone I spoke to was super helpful (with one exception, see below).

The room was really nice, big (we easily had room to use our son's toddler air mattress) with a Samsung flat-screen TV, comfortable leather chair, nice desk/chair, a pretty big refrigerator, etc. The bathroom was a bit small but nice and with a wide shower head that worked great. The hotel also provided really nice soap and shampoo.

The location is fine. It's downtown, which isn't as interesting as, say, Dupont Circle. But it's walking distance to many attractions (like the Museum of American History and the Museum of Natural History, as well as the White House, the mall, etc.), and right around the corner from Chinatown (some good restaurants). Tip: there is a 24-hour Walgreens nearby (7th and H) that has lots of food in addition to the typical drug store stuff. With the refrigerator in the room, I was able to get breakfast and snacks there.

The only negative to the hotel was Internet/phone service. I had almost no cell reception in my room, which was frustrating. I could sometimes get enough reception to talk on the phone, but not for long. I got some calls, but some went to voicemail. Some texts got out, some didn't. Checking email and looking on the Web via data service on my smart phone was not really an option. I know the hotel doesn't provide the cell service, but it nonetheless was really frustrating. And it didn't help that the WiFi in the room was really pricey, $13 for slow service or $18 for fast (it is kind of insulting to have the two levels). And the one bad customer service experience I had was when I realized my cell didn't work in my room, I called the front desk to ask if I got free WiFi for being part of the conference (we had a code to get WiFi in the conference area). The woman told me no. But I discovered two days later she was wrong, and our code for the conference area worked in our rooms. That was a bit frustrating, as I lost two days of service (one day, before I found out about the free room WiFi, needing to return an important email, I got out of bed at 11:30 p.m., got dressed, and went to the lobby to use the free WiFi there).

But, overall, I liked the Renaissance a lot. I would stay here again if the rate was right and the location met my needs for the trip. But be advised this is a big, busy hotel.

Dear NY_Guy_Traveling,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I appreciate that you enjoyed many of the amenities that we offer during your convention.

I do apologize that our reception agent did not provide the proper information about the conference internet service. I certainly understand your frustration of not being able to conduct business while travelling. I have shared your feedback with our front office manager to insure he shares your feedback with his team to emphasize the importance of understanding each group's needs.

I do hope that you visit us again. Please let me know if your travels return you to DC!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Overall, I had a pleasant stay in Renaissance Hotel just last week. I went to Washington DC for the conference and this hotel was where the conference was held. I understand that, with the conference being fully booked by conference participants, service quality might be affected.

To begin with, housekeeping had a couple of unacceptable flaws. It was quite disgusting seeing human body hair still on the floor when I walked to the bathroom. Then, when I opened the fridge, there was an unfinished coke bottle. Thirdly, the handset of the phone was broken. The engineer came and changed the battery and told me to wait for 30 minutes. I waited for the whole night and the handset still did not work. As the handset was cordless, it would be convenient for guests to talk wherever in the room. So, the next morning, at 10 am, I decided to call again, by using the speaker of the phone, and asked for another service to fix the handset. In considering how busy the hotel might be, I told them that the engineer could come to fix at noon time so that he could have enough time fixing other problems in the hotel. Yet, this consideration was not rewarded. I waited until 2 pm, after 3 phone calls, the engineer finally came and replaced a new phone set for me.

Wifi was not stable in the room. The Skype calls got disconnected sometimes and sometimes it took forever to get to the internet pages or emails. They charged 16.95 per night for high speed internet that allowed guests to use skype for some video chats with friends and family. But the quality was still very poor. Fortunately, the conference rate included wifi use so I could get this cost waived.

Other than that, the room was comfortable and we all commented how great the beds were. The staffs in the front desk were also accommodating and friendly. Room service was efficient and they still delivered the food at their promised schedules, despite the hotel was fully booked.

The location of the hotel was in downtown DC. There was no views from the windows. There were some nice restaurants nearby and it was close to China Town, where we found a couple of yummy restaurants. The Metro was just nearby. Though I only gave the average rating for this hotel because of some service flaws, travelers will find this hotel pleasant and convenient staying here.

Room Tip: As the hotel is in downtown DC, staying in the higher floor and away from elevators can prevent some...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear margarita_red 2006,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I certainly appreciate that you enjoyed your overall stay during your recent convention.

I do apologize that your room cleanliness was not up to standard and that you had some challenges with your phone during your stay. I have met with our Director of Housekeeping and Chief Engineer to review your concerns and to insure that they share your feedback with their respective teams.

I do hope that if your travels return you to Washington, DC that you will choose our hotel again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The rooms, lobby, restaurants, bars, gym are all so-non-convention hotel-like that you forget it is one! Located across the street from the Convention Center, I've stayed here twice this year and highly recommend it.

Also - the bathrooms actually have real counter space. Don't know about you, but I'll take the extra counter space over a "hip" styled bathroom with none.

The service level is extra-ordinary - from bellmen to front desk to servers, they make you feel both welcomed and appreciated.

Room Tip: With the construction of another hotel nearby, make sure you ask to be away from that area, unless y...
Dear StephSelesnick,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an amazing review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel.

I am truly appreciative of your comments about how our hotel is different than a typical convention hotel - we pride ourselves in insuring that each traveler have a unique experience when they stay with us - I highly recommend our Vida Health Club and Aura Spa that allows even the busiest travel a tranquil moment to regroup and recharge.

As a female traveler, I, too can appreciate the ample counter space in our rooms - while our rooms are hip and contemporary, they also are truly functional.

We can't wait until your THIRD visit to see us - I'd love to personally thank you for taking the time to write a comment!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Washington in January 2013 (for 4 nights) and July 2013 (for 8 nights) for a convention. It is a great hotel that is close to the Convention Center. The room was always clean and cool. There was a refrigerator in the room, which was great. In January, I stayed on the 8th floor and in July, I stayed on the 5th floor. I would recommend a high floor due to the street traffic, but I'm used to being in the city, so I blocked out the noise after a while. The check-in desk was very friendly and helpful. It was great to see that the same people who were working the front desk in January were still there in July. They were prepared for the large group of people checking in during my stays and always had a smile. The Presidents Lounge made sure to accommodate us with food and drinks specials. The wings are excellent! The bellhops were very helpful as well as housekeeping. Since I live close to the city, I would consider staying her for one of those weekend where I want to do a "staycation". It is close to the 7th street NW/Chinatown and other sites around downtown DC.

I also worked with the event planning team to plan a reception during my stay in July. Heather Jasper was great to work with. She helped us plan a wonderful reception and answered all of our questions. The reception turned out great! The food was hot and the bar staff was pleasant. Thanks again!

Room Tip: Select a higher floor if possible, if you want to avoid the noise from the street. Try the wings at...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear amannva,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience while staying at our hotel.

I am putting the puzzle pieces together and since you stayed in January and July, I am assuming you were at our hotel during the Delta Sigma Theta Centennial celebration and convention. We are so thrilled that you chose to stay with us. Each of our ambassadors truly enjoyed serving you and your Sorors.

Please do let me know if you decide on a future “staycation” – I would love to meet you personally and thank you for your comments!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Due to busy summer travels, we were in the D.C area twice during the month of July. The Renaissance is in an ideal location for those attending the convention center - literally one block away just across the street. The lobby/atrium area is huge and very inviting to greet friends or colleagues. Several alcoves of seating with comfortable lounge chairs/sofas that can allow you fellowship with others or just people watch. There is a large open bar in atrium with a more enclosed Sports Bar right next to it. Slightly around the corner from the bar is an open 'reading' room. The whole atmosphere is energizing and appears to be a 'happening' place.

Elevator music choice a bit interesting. Upbeat and a tad bit loud - definitely not serene spa music...but in line with the overall energizing lobby theme. The elevators didn't seem to get as much attention to cleanliness as rest of hotel - but probably due to large volume of guests.

Rooms were clean and modern - average size. We faced the atrium which didn't provide much of a view, but was very quiet and didn't seem to allow as much natural sunlight. The refrigerator in the room was convenient and a nice touch. Storage space/drawers/closet were all adequate. The bathroom had a thick sliding door which seemed to get stuck a few times making it difficult to close. Room service was prompt and food tasty. We had the breakfast buffet in the downstairs restaurant which had an wide assortment of hot foods, cold cuts/fruit/yogurt and a server making made-to order-omelets and waffles.

Valet parking is $47.20 per night because tax is added. Attendants were pleasant, service was prompt, and we didn't have to wait because we called for the car about 10-15 minutes before arriving downstairs. There is self parking for $35 per night but it was around the corner and the package garage was a hassle to maneuver. There is cheaper parking across the street but I wasn't sure about in and out services - so we paid the extra for valet due to convenience. We booked the room at marriott.com and got an excellent rate under a promotion to save when booking three or more nights.

Club level was on the second floor and accessible using room key. Very large lounge with multiple televisions and seating areas. There is a computer to print boarding passes. For whatever reason, staff not quite as welcoming in the club area....but we are the bubbly types and perhaps because we are from the South - just used to greeting people.

As mentioned very convenient to Convention Center. It is several, several blocks from National Mall and Smithsonians, too far for young children and older grandparents/those not used to walking. Would recommend for couples and convention attendees but not for families in town just to visit the tourist sites. Good overall stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Funmom123,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write an extensive review about our hotel.

I appreciate your detail of our amazing lobby and the cool vibe one feels when entering or enjoying the atmosphere. Our lobby has multiple zones, depending on your mood. As you mentioned, our miXX lobby bar is centrally located and a great place to meet friends or colleagues – ask our bartenders for their signature drinks – we change them occasionally depending on the time of year or group in the hotel.

You also mentioned our open “reading room” – our library was recently highlighted in the New York Times – you should check it out!

While I agree that we are about six blocks from the National Mall and it may be a bit far for young children to walk, we are only two blocks from metro and only two stops to the National Mall. My children are older, but I do remember when we visited DC when they were young, that the highlight of their trip (beside seeing the dinosaurs at the National History Museum) was riding the “underground train” throughout our Nation’s Capital! We do LOVE our young discoverers and our staff takes extra measures to insure they have a truly memorable DC experience.