“A bit pricey but very accomodating”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Fort Myers, FL
“A bit pricey but very accomodating”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance while I was in DC for a conference. I was a bit taken aback by the price, as conference rates are usually pretty good, but it wasn't completely unreasonable.

The staff was very accommodating, the room was clean and comfortable with excellent bedding and pillows. My husband ordered room service since we flew in so late, and his meal was good and not overly expensive.

Location is a quick cab ride away, and lots of good restaurants and activities within walking distance.

I would stay at the Renaissance again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear 4hersheybear,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I agree that our location cannot be beat and is in the heart of everything.

I thank you for the comments regarding our ambassadors. They truly are our HEART of our amazing hotel. Our In-Room Dining ranks in the top 10% of all Renaissance hotels.

I agree that during convention season and peak Washington, DC travel season, rates can be higher than normal. I encourage you to return in the summer or winter months where our rates are a great value!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
OH
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The staff is slightly better than average, not rude but not really welcoming you to the hotel. Once checked in you get a room that is clean and a decent size for the location. The area is safe although the city has a lot of homeless people that fill the streets and parks in the area; I'm happy to say we did not have a problem since the people may be homeless but are definitely not bothering anyone. The room at the hotel was quiet and you can find many places to visit within walking distance.

I suggest taking the subway to save a lot of walking, since attractions are spread out, although I don't mind walking and got to many attractions before breaking down and buying a metro ticket.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room when making the reservation and got exactly that. If you want a quiet room...
Dear BeenThereAlready,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I agree that we are in the heart of our Nation’s Capital and so close to metro that our entire city is at your fingertips just waiting to be discovered!

I do appreciate your feedback about our staff. I am deeply concerned that our ambassadors did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I have shared your feedback with our team so that they may understand the need to focus on each and every discoverer.

I do hope your travels return you to Washington, DC in the future and that you choose to stay at our hotel again so that we may showcase to you our true Renaissance service!

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a lovely hotel directly across from the Convention Center and a short walk wonderful Chinatown eateries. We stayed there for the inauguration and was able to avoid use of the metro to get to the swearing in. I was able to take a nap after the parade only to awaken to see our President on tv at the ball. In Cinderella style, I was able to quickly shower, dress, and run across the street and make it into the next ballroom where in 54321... I witnessed the first couple dance again. If I had not been staying so close, this would not have been possible.

This is also a hot spot for celebrities believe or not. It was great to see some notable historical people in the lobby. The staff were careful to maintain their guests privacy without making others feel like they were less than. The rooms were nicely appointed. I hate doors on small bathrooms and surprisingly, the sliding door in this one was perfect. This hotel is simple, not under or overstated, ideally located and has a huge Starbucks in the lobby.

When you are there, take a short stroll to CoCo Sala. Thank me later.

Room Tip: Corner room facing north
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BrekfusLunchDinner
Dear BrekfusLunchDin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about our experience during the 2013 Inauguration. As Americans, we have so much to be thankful for, and to witness democracy at its finest is truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Your story truly paints a fairytale ending as you were able to view the first couples dance at the convention center.

I hope you do not wait another four years before visiting us again!

PS: I thank you for your recommendation of Co.Co Sala – I tried it and LOVED it too!...So THANK YOU!!

Sincererly,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here during the cherry blossom festival. It was a great stay, the room was nice and everything that should be expected at a Renaissance. I'd recommend it and stay again. Because it was the cherry blossom festival, the hotel was more expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear chris w,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about our hotel and location.

Please come back and visit when Cherry Blossom festival is over – you will find competitive rates at a great value!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for 3 night for a business conference. The rooms are clean and updated but small. It would be nice if you could turn the tv so you didn't have to lay in bed and watch it.
When I checked in I wasn't pleased with my room and went back to the front desk to request another room. The front desk staff was very helpful and changed my room.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear GBM23,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I certainly understand your frustration that you were not pleased with your first room; however, I am thrilled our team was able to find a room that suited your needs.

If your travels return you to our Nation’s Capital, please come visit us again!

Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was clean. The service was nice all around but Oliver at the desk was vey helpful with a great restaurant recommendation that was walking distance. With a convention in town, the hallway noise was a bit annoying late at night, but understandable. The even number rooms face the street, which was nice, but could hear the sirens. With the convention center basically just across the street and the Metro only three blocks away, it was an ideal location. I took a cab from the airport (about $16) but the Metro on the way back was only $2.50!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Travlers_with_kids,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

I’m thrilled you enjoyed our rooms, hotel and our staff. I agree that Olivier is so VERY helpful!

Please come back and visit us again…and bring the kids!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is a big convention hotel. Right across from the Convention Center. The service is great. My room was fairly well appointed, but I really missed having a robe. For a hotel of this caliber I expect a bath robe in the room. I was delighted the fridge was empty, because I like to be able to store my diet cokes. All in all if you are attending a convention this is a great spot to stay.

Room Tip: Bring a robe
Dear akhaustin,

Thank you so much for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand your frustration that you did not have a robe in your room. We do have robes available upon request – the next time you stay with us, please request one upon check-in and we would be delighted to accommodate your request!