“Decent Renovations - Good rooms - nice gym - OTT decor”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #80 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel was recently renovated and is very stylish, but lead to a slightly over the top feeling on the decor that wasn't conducive to relaxation. Some of the people at our conference enjoyed the slick modern decor, but others felt that it would be dated soon and was trying too hard. Also, at the moment, the construction across the street makes things a bit inconvenient and noisy; and restaurant locations are not that great in the immediate vicinity. You have to walk a few blocks.

However, I can't praise the rooms enough. The beds were great and incredibly comfortable. The bathroom / shower area was fabulous and I thoroughly enjoyed it and the Aveda products. One critique though -- there needs to be a lighted area for short women to be able to get closer to the mirror to put on make up. I had to go out to the hall to get good access to the mirror and there was no light.

The gym was also fabulous and the spa folks were pretty nice. I'd go again just for that experience.

Overall, this is on the nicer end of DC hotels and I can imagine going back. I'd probably give this place 4.5 stars overall. It's just the strange atmosphere in the lobby and some of the location issues that feel a bit off. Then again, if you don't mind walking a bit to Chinatown (it's not too far) or the construction, you could be right at home.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked it ahead of time and were promised a reasonable room location for the family.

They placed us in a room at the corner of the two main streets with windows to every direction. Privacy was not available, but neither was sleep.
We had constant city bus brakes and traffic noise and did not get any sleep. We contacted the reception desk and were told they have no other room and they will only offer other room late afternoon the following day. That never happened and we couldn't move our kids so late in the evening...
We did get a $50 discount for the 1st night, which is pathetic. What is the lack of sleep worth on a vacation of 4!
The second night they did not discount becasue they can take advatge of us - so why not add a little more to the pot!
We cxalled for towels 3 times before they came up. The housekeeping has an attitude and truly doesnt give a damn of your needs.
We felt we left money on the table and not a little bit either...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Noy B
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Good location along the big bus line(double decker bus). our original room had 2 double beds and because we are a family of 4(15 yr old and 7 yr old) the room was a little cramped. I called down to the fron desk and asked for a king room with aroll away ned and they updgraded us to a suite with plenty of room. they have a starbucks on property which was nice every morning. the preseidents resataurant was greta for pub food and a couple of beers after a long day of sightseeing.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Hotel has been totally renovated. Stayed at this hotel on business - had a group meeting for 20 people. Great hotel. Reminded me of an airport. Lobby is nice with a large bar and seating area. Was there on a Monday night and the bar/lounge area was packed at 12:30am! There are 3 restaurants, mini mart, and gift shop all on the lobby level. Hertz rent-a-car is on site. They have a ton of meeting rooms and a huge ball room. The food for my meetings each day was excellent. Staff was attentive and did a great job.

Hotel is close to Chinatown, Verizon Center, and a ton of bars and restaurants.

I was upgraded to a junior suite and it was lovely. Furniture and decor was nice. One thing I was disappointed about - the bed was not the usual Marriott memory foam bed! Room and entire hotel was spotlessly clean.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The hotel was recently remodeled. The lobby is very inviting, with cozy areas with bookshelves and comfy chairs to sit, read, relax, or work on your laptop. My room was clean, comfortable, modern, and attractive. The staff was attentive and helpful. This property is close to restaurants, transportation, and popular areas such as Chinatown and Ford's Theatre (I walked easily to both). No complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I am a boutique hotel person, but am staying at the Renaissance for 3 nights for business. The lobby is recently updated, and very cool looking, great seating areas, etc.... Bartender in lobby bar was great, but as one other reviewer said, turn down the bad music in the lobby! The other weird thing is that there there was no place in the hotel at 7 PM to get a snack - chocolate, candy, gum, bottled water... And no minbar.
On the upside, rooms nice, great restaurants in the area, close to convention center. Just pack your own chocolate.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear travelplan24,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I certainly appreciate your choice to stay at boutique hotels but am glad you chose to stay here for business. Thank you for your feedback on our lobby bar miXX – our bartenders are outstanding! The next time in town, ask for our signature cocktail, “Kiss of Persuasion” – it’s delicious! I’m sorry you did not visit our gift shop, located to the right of the elevators by our K Street entrance. It is open every evening until 10pm and there you will find snacks, beverages and of course, chocolate. Please let me know when your travels return you to DC!

Sharon Lockwood

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I chose to stay in this hotel due to the convenient location near metro, china town, restaurants and various museums. I was in town to see the Cherry Blossoms, but unfortunately they are coming out late this year. I had stayed in the hotel previously 9 months ago and had some issues with the room. I decided to give it another try. This time everything went well. Check in went smoothly with Sharice. The room was cleaned well, all the staff was accomodating. We had some issues with the safe not working, but it was addressed promptly. I travel to DC 3-4 times a year and I will make the Renaissance Washington, Dc Downtown Hotel my list of preferred hotels. Special thanks to management for ensuring my family stay was a charm and making recommendations for great restaurants. My only complaint this time is that the bedding seem a bit firm for my taste, but other than that, I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Beds are firm. Take advantage of on site gym facility, it is awesome.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear newjerseytravelmom,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review about our hotel. Believe it or not, the Cherry Blossoms are still NOT in bloom! They are taking their own sweet time this year!

I appreciate your feedback regarding the service you received by our ambassadors while you were here with your family. Please do visit us again! We would love to showcase our great service and style to you once again.

Thank you for your note regarding our new mattresses; please let us know when you return and we can add additional mattresses toppers to make the bed softer for you. I agree that our health club, VIDA, is amazing. Next time you return, please make an appointment to visit with one of their amazing personal trainers and then treat yourself to a massage in the award winning Aura Spa!

Sharon Lockwood