“Nice Stay--Clean and quiet-” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #58 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Baltimore
“Nice Stay--Clean and quiet-”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Went to DC for a night and decided to stay at the Mayflower as it was our anniversary.
When checking in my wife mentioned this and our room was upgraded and a bottle of wine with strawberries dipped in chocolate were delivered to us.
we had a drink during our stay at both the lobby and main bars. Good service at both.
overall a very clean hotel with excellent service

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
West Palm Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

This is a well located and beautiful hotel, convenient however I have some serious gripes.

1: LOUD - I kept getting woken up by other guests coming and going in the hallway. I was disturbed be doors slamming.

2: NO HOT WATER. Sure it wasn't cold, just lukewarm but on a chilly 40 degree day in DC I wanted a HOT shower and couldn't get one.

3: Unreliable internet. If you want to charge me $16.95 a day for internet then you better make sure that it works, all the time and is not slower than dialup.

Would I stay here again as a business traveller. Nope.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

From the moment I checked in, I saw smiling faces and a crisp clean beautifully decorated hotel. This is my type of hotel. Luxury. Everyone I encountered was morethan willing to help and went the extra mile to make sure I was comfortable. When I checked in I mentioned how I just came from a different smaller branded hotel that didn't have their act together and how it was a bad start to my first trip to DC. the gentlemen who checked me in, apologized on behalf of the other hotel and even upgraded me to concierge level. My room was impeccable! There was not one thing out of place, from the crisp linens to the silky bathrobes already in the room to the neatly stocked minibars and the perfect sized bathroom with enough towels and amenities, theres nothing more I could have asked. I called my friend to tell them of my ordeal, and while I was on the phone, the gentlemen who checked me in was calling ms to see if the room satisfactory! That is 5 star service! Moments later there was a knock at my door, room service was delivering a welcome snack to my room. I didn't even have to ask. As I unpacked and began to relax there was anothe polite knock on the door. It was a housekeeping supervisor stopping by to see bow my room was and if I required anything more, I said no, the rooms great thank you! Later that evening as I left my room to visit the concierge lounge, which is beautifully decorated and impressively upkept, to my surprise housekeeping had turned down my room removing a towel I used, the tray from my complimentary snack and even tidying up the bathroom. I needed a haircut but didn't know where to go, I was in line for the 'navigator' and three managers jumped to welcome me and assist me in my query. I've never had that attention in a hotel before! As I left the hotel both doormen ( in white gloves) opened each door for me and welcomed me back later on! When I needed a razor the front desk swiftly provided me with a complimentary one. I don't think my stay at this hotel could have been anymore enjoyable. I'm a very hard person to please with service. I work in the hospitality business myself so I know exactly what to expect. This hotel is top notch 5 star luxury! Thank you very much for making my stay a wonderful experiance that I will never forget! You are my new favorite hotel ever! Keep up the good work and when I travel to DC again, I will definitely be returning to the Mayflower .

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Sr222
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Well, I was excited to come here based on the reviews I read, but what I found was decidedly average and a high cost.

While I asked for a room with two queen beds, I was given a very plain room with a king. Before I was moved to another room, I noticed the room with a king was very very plain, almost austere.

The room with two queen beds was nicely decorated with made me realize there at least two classes of rooms. If you room is plain be sure to ask for a better one - they definitely have them.

When I got to the room I read that if I wanted to put things into a fridge, I should get a mini fridge delivered. I did and wow, I hadn't seen a mini fridge that beat up since the ones I saw while moving out of dorm rooms at college. For these high prices, they ought to spring for a new fridge at Sears for $75 rather than delivering junk like that to guests' rooms.

We asked to park the car and were told the nightly fee is almost $50 per night. They even refer you to parking garages in the area if that's too expensive for you, but still, nearly $50 for parking as a guest while surrounding garages are more in the range of $20 per night. It's a complete rip off.

The historic nature of the place is nice if you can get past the fact that they're nickel and diming you at every turn.

There are tons of hotels in the area and this one is riding on some historical past which they think gives them the right to severely rip you off. There are far to many choices in the area to give this place your money - don't encourage them.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank IslandLuxe
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

I was there for a conference and found the room very clean and comfortable. It was very small, but I was by myself so it was adequate. Very nice marble bath with brass fixtures, but they squeaked like an old barnyard spiggot when drawing water. Service was prompt and friendly.

I didn't dine in the restaurant, but did order room service a couple of times and also had a buffet lunch as part of my conference. The food was acceptable, but not memorable, and thus frankly, for the price, disappointing. In fact, for a similar price, you can walk down the street to some excellent restaurants (ie, Vidalia) with some fantastic cuisine.

One other big disappointment is the quality of the wifi. First, it costs at least $12 per day (higher speed is $16) and it is spotty, unreliable and uncooperative. At 11:00 pm every night it suddenly became unavailable. Maybe it's because it's an old building with lots of thick masonry walls, but I found it frustrating, and a hotel catering to business as this one does needs to correct this.

But this property is so steeped in the history of our nation's capital, it adds to the experience knowing you're walking in the footsteps of so many luminaries in history. I enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

This is a jewel of a hotel in an excellent location in DC. It is right down the street from the Red Line Metro and it is close to attractions within walking distance. This hotel is old-world elegance with an extremely friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Mayflower is a super hotel, with well-appointed rooms, spacious entertaining areas and an elegance that makes you feel that your stay is truly special .....
We spent a week at The Mayflower, using it as a base to visit the local sites of this splendid US capital city. Our only criticism is the rudeness and unhelpfulness of 'Laverne', one of the staff on the concierge desk, which was noted by a number of people travelling in our party. Perhaps he was having a bad week. The Mayflower is a place that is definitely worth considering if you are looking for a Washington hotel steeped in history ....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family