“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Huntington Woods
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

The Mayflower exceeded my expectations. Instead of a stuffy, old-time hotel I found a comfortable, updated and friendly atmosphere.

Attentive staff made me feel appreciated, at home, and were always accessible... at the desk, in restaurants & bar, at the door. Requests were promptly addressed, employees all made themselves available when approached. A family member traveled with a 6 yr old and she was always greeted and made comfortable.

• Liked — Excellent service
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Atwill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
Newport Beach, Calif.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

TA's 5 star rating is one too many. This hotel is nothing more than 4 star. The property is certainly grand and historical (well, the public spaces anyway), but the actual rooms are nothing special, and the service was downright snotty at times.
We had booked a one bedroom suite with a street view, but at check in we were given a small king room. Ok, honest mistake (for a 4 star hotel), so back downstairs we went to ask for the correct room assignment. No apology, just another set of keys were handed to us. Back upstairs we went only to find that we were given a room with the hotel's gigantic airconditioning system directly outside of the windows. It literally sounded like a plane was taking off! How ANYONE could stay in that room, I'll never know! So... Back downstairs. We told the "surprised" asst. manager that we needed a room without the "runway soundeffects", and were handed yet another set of room keys. To my disbelief, the THIRD room they tried passing off was actually on the same floor, opposite corner of the second room, and again looking out onto the same airconditioning unit! Ok, after that, I was just plain mad! Back downstairs... I was now told that they didn't have any other rooms available. Fine, I'll be going to the Marriott then. As I turned to exit the hotel, the asst. manager "miraculously" found the exact type of room that we had originally reserved. Wow, what are the odds?!
The rest of our stay was uneventful (mostly because we knew better than to expect any type of "service"). The room was a bit tired, with the old tv's, and small, dated bathrooms with shower tub combos. This hotel is fine if you get a good rate (under $200 or so), and don't expect anything luxurious/5 star.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank AmoItalia
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for a vacation in DC. The location is excellent - just a block to the Metro, and the neighborhood is great for dining and walking.

As some others have mentioned, we got a Priceline deal too ($97 per night). As expected, we did not get a premium room. In fact, our window looked out at a rooftop with a large HVAC structure. Not very nice, but given the price we were not disappointed. Besides, we were not looking to spend time enjoying any view out the window.

The room was small- large enough for a queen-size bed and wardrobe but not much else. But they used a lot of mirrors to give the impression of a larger space. We weren't looking to spend time in the room, so it was not a big deal. But it would have been a problem if we were traveling with a child.

The athletic center is excellent- lots of great equipment. The lobby is great, too. Service was friendly and we had no problems. The bed very comfortable and we liked the furnishings and hair/skin products.

As rated above, our overall experience was very good.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spidey03
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed at the Mayflower in mid-July over the weekend for a conference I was attending. I was extremely impressed by the friendly, helpful and attentive staff. We had a corner room which was tight considering we had a crib in the room for our son, not to mention the stroller and luggage. But overall it was pleasant. My husband did not like the bed, but I had truly enjoyable sleep even though it was softer than I would have preferred. I liked that the bathroom had a nightlight, since my son woke up one of the nights. And they accomodated me with a 1 hour later check-out.

The biggest negative? There was an *enormous* waterbug in the bathroom within a half an hour of our checking in. Luckily, my husband caught it, but it was utterly disgusting. If I had not received an amazing conference rate, I would have complained for a reduction due to the waterbug.

I would stay here again, but I don't know that I'd pay rack rate.

• Liked — attentive staff
  • Disliked — waterbug in the bathroom. small space of room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2007

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Mayflower in D.C. The hotel is impressive upon entering the lobby. We were disappointed that our rooms were not ready in the early afternoon, but the bellman offered to hold our luggage so we could take the metro to the zoo. Upon returning around 6:00 p.m. we were told we were unable to have the adjoining rooms we requested, but were so fatiqued we just wanted to get settled and go to bed.
My daughter and I had a small room with 1 window, a green house type structure appeared to be attached to the bottom of the window and the remaining "view" were brick walls, making the room dark. The bellman, opened the curtains and said "you need to request another room tomorrow". We visited our friends on another floor and found their room to be a large suite with three large windows and views of CT ave. Since we booked and paid for these rooms together, I did request another room. My second room was smaller, with no closet...only an armoire. As I was unpacking (again) I noticed a large vomit stain beside the bed that had also splattered onto the bed skirt. I called the desk and a bellman was sent up with a key for another room. This time the room was similar to our traveling companions, with a large sitting room and two windows. I realize the hotel is an old remodeled building, however the difference in rooms for the same price is surprising and disapointing. The beds were comfortable as stated in previous posts. Buffet breakfast was delicious. The hotel is convenient to the metro, shops and restaurants.

• Liked — Beautiful lobby, delicious buffet breakfast
  • Disliked — Having to request room change twice.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
staffordshire, england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

I booked this hotel on the strength of review read on this website, I'm a little disappointed that it didn't work out quite as I'd hoped.

Our Amtrak train from Richmond was about 2 hours late, so we arrived at the Mayflower about 7pm. Although they clearly had our booking, the room wasn't available!! It appeared that someone had "extended" their stay so we wouldn't be able to check in ! To their credit, the Desk Manager came out to explain to us and explain that they had booked us into another local hotel and gave us taxi money to get there, she promised us a suite on our return the following day. The substitute hotel was very nice, no complaints about that.

When we returned the following morning, having now lost some of our valuable time, we were told that a suite wasn't available!!
The Desk manager came to speak to us again, and stated that they didn't have suites which had 2 beds, but we could have a roll-away bed if we wanted. This obviously wasn't what I had booked or wanted. We compromised on an upgrade to the best room (allegedly) they had with 2 beds.

We returned later that day to the room and our bags had been sent there. We also recieved a welcome platter of cheese and fruit, alas no water, this was an extortionate price in the mini-bar. Unlike other reviewers we only got chocolate on the pillow once, no sign of any other goodies!!

The restaurant must be a well kept secret, we never found it yet, we certainly would have used the buffet breakfast had we known that it was available! There is no mention of it in the hotel info book. What a missed opportunity.

The hotel location is very convenient, nearest metro stop about 200metres from the hotel, and very easy to use. Costs about $1.35 a journey, so don't bother with a day pass ($6.50), this fare includes going to Ronald Reagan airport, straight to the main terminal for Delta flights.

The room was very comfortable, but I agree with previous comments about the air conditioning, try turning the temp up a few degrees, then it doesn't come on so often.

The over-booking appears to be a regular problem, we saw it on other occasions. We are now struggling to get a promised part refund from our internet agent.

Buy your own water, as its impossible to get any water in the hotel after the shop closes, it cost over $4.50 in the minibar.

We used the Greyline bus tour, ticket valid for 2 days, however the route was very long, taking 2.5 hours to go round, so not all that flexible. There are other tour companies available.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — lost time and opportunities due to overbooking and lack of restaurant info
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank staffstraveller15
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

....and very comfy beds too!

I've just come back from a five-night stay in Washington DC, where I had the pleasure to stay at the Mayflower. Comfortable rooms with great beds, helpful and friendly staff and, best of all, within walking distance of many of Washington's attractions - practically round the corner from the White House!

Overall, an enjoyable experience. On my comment card as I left, I wrote that the only improvements I would make would be to have tea/coffee-making facilities in the room [standard these days in good hotels, although here you can grab a Starbucks coffee on the way to the lifts if you remember to] and the eco-friendly option to not have towels and sheets changed every day.

• Liked — It's in the centre of the city!
  • Disliked — No tea/coffee-making facility [a minor quibble]
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)