The Mayflower helped make our four-day stay in Washington one of the best trips ever! My husband and I were there on convention, and many of the week's events took place in the hotel's palatial conference rooms. The continental breakfasts were more than adequately supplied with beautiful fresh fruit, pastries, coffee and juices. All the lunches and banquets were well-prepared, delicious, and expertly served by a most efficient coterie of staff.
The staff at the Mayflower have obviously been well-coached in the art of good service and everyone we encountered -- from cleaning staff to bellhops to front desk staff and bartenders -- were more than happy to help with even the smallest request. Either they're all really good actors or they actually enjoy their jobs! I'd like to think the latter is true.
On one particular evening in the hospitality suite, one of the bartenders, Earl, went out of his way to find the ingredients to make a Caesar (a spicy Bloody Mary made with Clamato) for this displaced Canadian, an act of kindness for which I shall be eternally grateful. Similarly, one morning I found myself wandering the lobby, considering whether to place a long distance call to my teenagers at home after having discovered that the internet was temporarily down. Ashley Moss, seeing my worried look, approached me and, once I'd explained the situation, assisted me in finding an alternate means of sending the kids a message. These are only two examples of how the staff at the Mayflower go out of their way to accommodate hotel guests, and it really does make all the difference.
The hotel itself is within walking distance of many of the national monuments that Washington is famous for, and I spent my mornings power-walking and sightseeing around the city with a small group of friends from the convention. Panache -- a very nice little bistro -- is right across the street, and Filene's Basement -- another no-miss -- is on an adjacent corner. Plus there are lots and lots of other fine places to eat and shop in the immediate vicinity.
The hotel itself is sparkling clean and offers turn-down service every day. We began to look forward to our afternoon treats of M&Ms or dried fruit! Little details like herbal soaps, a phone in the washroom, a newspaper at the door in the morning, and a jazz guitarist serenading us at breakfast, made things extra special.
If I must include one negative note (and all good reviews should), it's that our air conditioner was very noisy -- so much that when it came on in the middle of the night with a sound that resembles a John Deere Tractor starting up -- my husband and I were both startled out of our sleep, making our rest intermittent at best. Some very helpful members of the maintenance staff visited the room 2 or 3 times to fix it, but unfortunately the problem kept recurring.
That having been said, I wouldn't hesitate to revisit the Mayflower, and to recommend it to friends. If I'm ever in Washington again it will be my hotel of choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection has been a vibrant social hub in Washington, DC since opening in 1925. Refreshed and contemporary, our historic hotel newly inspires the city for business or pleasure with its premier location on Connecticut Avenue. The Mayflower delights with a timeless luxury found in our sweeping marble lobby, picturesque ballrooms, in-house health club, and luxury-minded guestrooms, offering plush bedding, high-speed wireless internet, and flat screen TV's. Enjoy a culinary delight at our lively American brasserie EDGAR, or step outside to experience the local flavor of Dupont Circle and other nearby attractions. Effortlessly blending historic tradition and modern luxury here in the heart of the nation's capital, The Mayflower Hotel is national treasure not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayflower Hotel Washington Dc
- Renaissance Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Renaissance
- Renaissance Mayflower Hotel
- Mayflower Hotel Dc