“Mayflower -- magnificent!”

Ranked #62 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Halifax
“Mayflower -- magnificent!”
Reviewed July 18, 2007

The Mayflower helped make our four-day stay in Washington one of the best trips ever! My husband and I were there on convention, and many of the week's events took place in the hotel's palatial conference rooms. The continental breakfasts were more than adequately supplied with beautiful fresh fruit, pastries, coffee and juices. All the lunches and banquets were well-prepared, delicious, and expertly served by a most efficient coterie of staff.

The staff at the Mayflower have obviously been well-coached in the art of good service and everyone we encountered -- from cleaning staff to bellhops to front desk staff and bartenders -- were more than happy to help with even the smallest request. Either they're all really good actors or they actually enjoy their jobs! I'd like to think the latter is true.

On one particular evening in the hospitality suite, one of the bartenders, Earl, went out of his way to find the ingredients to make a Caesar (a spicy Bloody Mary made with Clamato) for this displaced Canadian, an act of kindness for which I shall be eternally grateful. Similarly, one morning I found myself wandering the lobby, considering whether to place a long distance call to my teenagers at home after having discovered that the internet was temporarily down. Ashley Moss, seeing my worried look, approached me and, once I'd explained the situation, assisted me in finding an alternate means of sending the kids a message. These are only two examples of how the staff at the Mayflower go out of their way to accommodate hotel guests, and it really does make all the difference.

The hotel itself is within walking distance of many of the national monuments that Washington is famous for, and I spent my mornings power-walking and sightseeing around the city with a small group of friends from the convention. Panache -- a very nice little bistro -- is right across the street, and Filene's Basement -- another no-miss -- is on an adjacent corner. Plus there are lots and lots of other fine places to eat and shop in the immediate vicinity.

The hotel itself is sparkling clean and offers turn-down service every day. We began to look forward to our afternoon treats of M&Ms or dried fruit! Little details like herbal soaps, a phone in the washroom, a newspaper at the door in the morning, and a jazz guitarist serenading us at breakfast, made things extra special.

If I must include one negative note (and all good reviews should), it's that our air conditioner was very noisy -- so much that when it came on in the middle of the night with a sound that resembles a John Deere Tractor starting up -- my husband and I were both startled out of our sleep, making our rest intermittent at best. Some very helpful members of the maintenance staff visited the room 2 or 3 times to fix it, but unfortunately the problem kept recurring.

That having been said, I wouldn't hesitate to revisit the Mayflower, and to recommend it to friends. If I'm ever in Washington again it will be my hotel of choice.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The noisy air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 17, 2007

The good points:

- Upper tier hotel, as you would expect for the brand. The lobby area is well appointed; there is a fancy piano bar and a nice, though expensive restaurant. Attractive and nicely maintained.
- Rooms are not large, but are sufficient for one or two people. The standard room is too small for bringing along the kids, though.
-Nice, comfortable bed.
- Bathroom was of good size and pleasantly elegant, with marble floor and accents.
- Wide screen, flat TV.
- Elevators seemed to work well (sometimes a problem at other hotels).
-Excellent location. Very close to the Farragut North Metro Station (about a 3 minute walk). You can also walk to the monuments area -- maybe about a 15 minute walk to the WW-II Memorial straight down 17th Street. I would say that you are within a 20-25 minute walk of just about all the monuments. Many food choices and stores are available in all directions of the hotel. Less than 10 minute walk from Dupont Circle, straight up Connecticut Ave.
-New fitness center, but I didn't get a chance to take a look at it so can't comment.
- Staff were very helpful and professional, though not especially friendly.
-Exterior of the building is very pretty and historic; not a bland, modern high-rise.

Negatives:

-Depending on your room configuration, it can be somewhat noisy. It's an old building and the walls are a bit thin. Other guests opening and closing doors nearby, and staff pushing carts, etc. can be downright loud. I could also hear the TV of the person across the hall, because my room was in a little, narrow hallway with not much distance between our doors.
-The hotel seems to attract a lot of conventions, so it can be congested in the lobby area.
-Depending on time of day, a good size line at check-in and check-out can occur.
-Internet for $10/day, typical for the upper-level Marriotts but I still think it's a ripoff. I also didn't like how in this hotel, only wired internet is available. Very inconvenient if you want to sit on the bed with your laptop computer. There was also a problem with the internet service in which it went down for several hours, but not sure if this happens very often.
-I don't think there is a pool in this hotel; that would be a negative if traveling with kids.
-Very loud, old-fashioned AC unit. Unlike some of the modern systems that run quietly with central heat and AC, this hotel appears to still use individual units mounted near the base of the window. They are controlled by a thermostat on the wall, but I noticed that the unit was plugged in to an outlet near the wall so it appears to be a room unit rather than central. It was very loud whenever it came on, to the point that you had to turn the TV way up.

Overall, this is a fairly upscale hotel with a great location, but it has some negative points as indicated above. I would have given it 3.5 "stars."

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank ATLDawg
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 12, 2007

The Mayflower is a lovely older hotel in a great location. Easy walk to night life and restaurants in the Dupont Circle area and to the Phillips Collection. As others have said, our room was small but very comfortable. We didn't hear noise from other rooms but did hear quite a bit of street noise from Connecticut. If I were to return I would request a back room. Everyone we encountered was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We had a wonderful experience staying at the Mayflower. Upon arrival,
we were greeted with friendly faces from all the hotel employees. Our
room was a spacious corner room with two double beds plus a large sitting area with desk and chair and ottoman. I think it was called the "executive" or "superior" room. The beds are so comfortable you won't want to get out of bed in the morning. But do, because the breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant is excellent! The hotel lobby is large (a city block long!) and very beautiful. The classic architecture of the building mixed with the modern furniture and paintings gives the lobby a very chic and elegant look. The hotel is in a great location, close to the metro and tourist attractions. Take advantage of the metro, it is cheap, clean, and safe. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, no complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank texan05
Seattle
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Dear Friends,
Watch out!! Booked a room through Priceline ($100/nt plus taxes) from
6/28 to 7/5 and called 6 weeks in advance to request (and received) 2
beds. Flew in from Seattle with 2 older kids, and was told that they did not have our request in their computer, and that they had no rooms with 2 double beds. OK.....then requested 2 ajoining rooms, but they wanted to charge us $$$ for the additional room. Or, they could have put us on a floor that was being renovated (but couldn't guarantee noise factor) for just $60 more/night. Or, they could have sent us to another hotel in the area for over $200 more/night. Both the receptionist (Arthur) and the manager (Aditya) were not helpful to allow us to stay, even though they could have resolved the situation rather easily (put us in two ajoining rooms). The manager said he would lose his job if he accomodated us with 2 rooms!

Ended up getting a refund from Priceline and stayed at another hotel.
Get this....the person registering next to us at the Mayflower had the exact same experience (I have her name and phone #), and ended up
not staying at the hotel as well. I feel that they knew they could sell the 2-bedded rooms for a greater price rather than honor their prior commitments. Very disappointing!

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank tennisbummer
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We had a wonderful one-night stay at the Renaissance. The hotel is lovely and elegant, and the location is great- easy walking distance to the White House, a nice walk to the monuments, etc. and a Metro down the block. Valet parking is a bit expensive, but of course convenient. There are several garages in the area, however, so it might be worth shopping around.

The hotel is pet-friendly if you pay a $100 sanitation fee, and we had no problems at all bringing our small dog. The hotel staff seemed to like her, actually!

The room was very nice, though a little small. The bathroom was very nicely updated, with a beautiful shower and nice toiletries. Very comfortable bed, and a nice little desk. However, the room would be cramped with children or a rollaway bed. In that case, I would recommend a suite.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed June 19, 2007

The Mayflower is centrally located and charming.

The Room: Not very spacious (for those of you who like to cram your kids in), but certainly more than adequate for someone traveling on business. The furniture is classy and neat. The bed is extremely comfortable, almost rivaling a Westin bed. The bathroom is clean and modern (unfortunately, the shower head doesn't offer much pressure). The TV is way outdated for a hotel of this calibur, but if TV is your focus you don't need to stay at the Mayflower.

**BIG ISSUE: The walls are paper thin. Everytime someone leaves his/her room you will hear the door slam. While I am not a light sleeper, this did interfere with my night's rest. I don't really think much can be done about this, just be prepared.

The Bar (Towne & Country): Great after-work hotspot. Drinks are pretty high quality and the bar is lively. Makes for a good time.

The Restaurant: I only had breakfast at the restaurant, but it was amazing. I generally associate buffets with low class fare - not so at the Mayflower. The bfast buffet offers a wide variety of fresh and flavorful foods from fruit to cheese to cereal/oatmeal to eggs etc. You can order off of a menu if the buffet doesn't "do it" for you.

Lobby/Property: Very well maintained and extremely presentable.

General: This is a busy, high-profile hotel. There is a constant flow of human traffic. Don't stay here if you are looking for peace and quiet. With that said, it truly is a beautiful hotel and the service staff is very hospitable. I highly recommend the Mayflower.

• Liked — The property
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls - very noisy!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business