“Not Bad... But Not Great”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #64 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 8, 2007

The Renaissance Mayflower hotel was amazing. The building itself was beautiful. Some friends and I stay there for a weekend get away. The bedroom and the bathroom were spacious and very clean. Bathrobes were provided for your convience in the closet. The closet was small and couldn’t hold all of are clothes, but we overlooked it. The check in process was not good. Some of the staff seemed better trained than others. It took us 30 minutes to check in. The Valet was average price; however you had to call 25- 30 minutes before leaving the hotel to make sure your car was outside. The hotel was located in an area with some shop and restaurants in the vicinity, you can walk to them. Overall the hotel was satisfactory; nonetheless I will most likely try another hotel for the next weekend get away in Washington DC.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank takeatrip2anywhere
There are newer reviews for The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed January 30, 2007

It was beautiful and the staff was amazing. My son was only 7 months old, I was still nursing him and it was a trip for work. They made sure that every detail was taken care of (they would even pick up the breast milk I was storing in the room freezer & put it in the hotel freezer until I needed it)...I would say that was above and beyond the call of duty!!

And what a beautiful walk from the hotel down Embassy Row. Great restaurants very close! The suite we stayed in was beautiful & the bed slept almost better than it did at home. Whenever I am in DC again, I will choose this hotel hands down.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank JosephsMommy
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Just back travelling through usa and canada finishing in Washinton. for some reason our agent didnt book us into the Four Seasons as we normally would apparently 'this was the best hotel' ! Best hotel... believe me Its not even 2*

We arrived at the Mayflower one evening at 7.15 to be told there was no restaurant as it was 'under renovation'. Had i known that any part of a hotel was under renovation i would not accept it. This was the first i had heard of it . Huge part of reception is blocked off with wooden boarding, an absolute eyesore. Hotel is incredibly dated - looks like a down market english sea side hotel.

We were told a limited food service was being provided in a designated room. We hadnt eaten since 9.30am that morning having flown in from Miami so were famished. We went to this 'substitute restaurant room' and to be frank i wouldnt let a dog eat there. We immediately left for our bedroom (big but incredibly dated. Also as another reviewer mentioned desperately noisy as above the subway!) to order room service which seemed the only alternative. It was a limited menu to say the least about 10 items. there were no vegetarian options, which was staggering. We rang room service to be told there wasnt even pasta! .... hello??? the most staple food in any restaurant

Then called the manager who said she would look into it. Called back to say sorry there was pasta! didnt know what sort so was going to send up an 'updated menu'. 15 minutes later nothing arrived. called down again to be told 'on way'. then a guy turned up with two hang over the door breakfast menus. Called down again, by this time getting understandably fed up, manager came up personally (without 'updated menu' ) took our order for pasta in a cheese sauce (we are talking basic meal here) and a cheese plate and would get it to us in 30 minutes. I had at this point asked that she call the Four Seasons and see if a room was available as id never encountered this before in all my years of travelling. By this time it was 8.15pm and we were understandably starving.

At 8.45pm Room Service called to say sorry they dont have pasta. is this some sort of joke? explained manager had personally taken order and insisted there was. Called Manager who said would check with kitchen and call back. Yes there was pasta and it would 'be ready in 3 minutes' and that she was 'checking with the four seasons'. well 15 minutes later it arrived. It was bone dry pasta which was cold with no sauce and a teaspoon of grated cheddar cheese on top. no cheese board. This is no longer remotely funny. The guy that brought it up said 'the kitchen doesnt have any sauces' Called Manager who was appalled and very apologetic. Demanded the four seasons number, she said she'd call back with it (if shed called them as she said why didnt she have number to hand??!!)

I called the four seasons and booked a room. it then took them over 15 minutes to bring our bags down. arrived at the Four Seasons........bliss. Be warned avoid this hotel at all costs

Stayed: December 2006
5  Thank traveller069
Reviewed January 4, 2007

I was in DC for a business meeting and stayed 3 nights in March 2006. My first room was so small you couldn't fully open the bathroom door and the closet wasn't deep enough to hang my clothes. I was moved the next day, but the new room wasn't much better. Both rooms were dark and very oddly shaped. The staff was clear that the business rate for the conference only covered the basic rooms. I travel on business frequently and these rooms and the staff were not on par with other Marriott properties. I had also planned to upgrade for the weekend and have my family come. The suites don't have sofa beds and the hotel charges $30/night for a rollaway. There are many better choices for a familly or for business.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Lextraveller
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Like ccrosner, boston, we got a $269 a night suite over the side street and like that reviewer we experienced the early morning garbage pickup. Still, the suite was wonderful and made us feel that we in fact were in a small apartment. Unfortunately, the hotel is undergoing considerable renovation, so the lobby bar, the restaurant, and the fitness center are offline. The temporary fitness center consists of four machines in a stifling, small room. We got a temporary membership at the Washington Sports Club up Connecticut Avenue a block and that was a nightmare, but hardly the hotel’s fault. They offer access to the YMCA which we should have selected. The hotel seems to be missing small things that make a difference. For two days in a row I had to remind the front desk staff, for example, to get paper towels for the men’s restroom off the lobby. Also, the hot water in our room ran out and we had to be relocated. This wasted several hours of our time. I would have thought that the management would have done something in response to this, even a token gesture, but they did not. Clearly, the Mayflower is skipping a few beats while it renovates, but we will come back, but only after the renovations are complete.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Robert R
Reviewed December 28, 2006

I decided to book the Mayflower for our extended family's trip to DC to celebrate my parents' 75th birthdays. I chose it due to good rates, availability of a suite for my parents that was reasonably priced, and the location. I feared some of the more recent reviews of the hotel on this site--almost switched my reservations--and found the Mayflower to be a terrific hotel for our group (ages ranged from 10 to 75).

It's possible that our experience was more positive since we are Marriott rewards members and it was a slow week at the hotel (between Christmas and New Years). We had booked a two room suite for my parents at a rate of $269. And my brother and I booked regular rooms at $169. Prior to arrival, I called and requested free upgrades. They honored our request and gave both of us "Executive Rooms". These rooms have two double beds with a much larger sitting area, a foyer/hallway and nice bathroom. We were on the fifth floor overlooking a side street and found the hotel--both inside and out--to be quite quiet. The only negative on noise was the garbage truck that visited the side street around 7:30 every morning (but we were usually awake).

The concierge, Azi, could not be more accommodating. Great dinner and lunch suggestions (not too pricey but nice) and also gave us tickets to the Holocaust Museum (they are free but do prevent you from waiting in line). When my son got sick, she offered to call a doctor, get him tea and honey, etc. Also got us late check out and the manager personally came to tell him just to let him know if we needed an even later checkout under the circumstances. Very caring. And the front desk was great with some complicated billing (we paid for part of my parents' stay so I needed that moved to my bill).

Yes, the decor is more traditional than a more modern hotel but we like that feeling. You do feel like you are part of Old Washington as they don't make lobbies, etc. like this anymore. The hotel has recently refurbished all of the rooms and the rooms were spotless with comfy beds. They are still renovating the lobby so that was a pain--no place for an a la carte breakfast. And we did wish that they had a coffeemaker and safe in the rooms.

The location is great. Less than a block from the red line of the Metro which we found convenient. Nice upscale shopping (though we did little of it), a CVS close by and plenty of local restaurants to satisfy your dining needs.

We weren't charge dfor internet service...don't know why.

I would highly recommend the Mayflower to tourists visiting D.C. They are very accommodating and seem to understand the importance of good service.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank ccrosner
Reviewed December 16, 2006

Stayed in the Mayflower for 3 nights in December. Prior to arrival we'd requested a no smoking, King room on a high floor - this request apparently hadn't been passed on.

The first room we were given had a fabulous view of the back of buildings and the ventilation plant - nice, so we asked to be moved.

They moved us to the only room left in the hotel - a room with a stree view, but queen beds.

They told us they would see if they could move us after night one - but the the hotel was totally full all week - so no move for us (and no contact to tell us that this would not be possible).

All of that was dissapointing as we booked 11 months ago, so would ave expected a decent room which matched the request we made.

All that said, the hotel staff were OK, but the bar staff were great.

The hotel location was good for things like the White House, but there did not seem to be a lot of choice for eating and drinking in the area - so I think we would re-think staying in this area again.

Over all the hotel was fine - just disspointed with the room.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple