“Front desk a nightmare”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #57 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Front desk a nightmare”
Reviewed April 15, 2006

We reserved a room several weeks in advance for FOUR (2 adults, 2 children) - the internet confirmation stated that the number of guests in the room was "4," and the room type was "deluxe room, 1 king or 2 double." Upon arriving (after driving 3+ hours), we encountered a rather aloof front desk clerk, who informed us that the only room available was with a king bed. We asked to speak to his supervisor, who was more polite but equally unhelpful; apparently, fire regulations allowed for only 1 roll-away per room. We wondered aloud: Where was one of us to sleep, on the floor? It was a very bizarre experience. We then retrieved our car; the valet actually attempted to charge us an hour of time! (he then relented). By the way, the 800 number was also unhelpful. We had received e-mail confirmation of our reservation before arriving; in my view, if they couldn't accommodate us, we should have been told then (ahead of time). We went to a different hotel and enjoyed our stay, but it was a very difficult few minutes.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank money4mice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 28, 2006

I stayed here for 4 nights for a conference at the end of February. The rooms were nice as well as the bathroom (they had great bathroom ammenities!). The room service was good. Never saw the gym. Location was central to everything.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank hardingk
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 26, 2006

The rooms are very small but clean. The maid service was terrific and hotel staff very friendly. I traveled with an associate and was surprised to learn that the view from both of our rooms was overlooking a unsighlty utility box (different sides of the building). Another downside was that the only exercise facility for this hotel is two blocks away. Although I love the Marriott chain because of the marble bathrooms, I loathe the expensive dining options in the hotel. I continue to stay at Marriott Hotels but I make it a point to take my dining business elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank Anchorage_Traveler
Westhampton, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2006

We got our room for $250.00 a night at auction on priceline. The location is stellar, it's a beautiful area. The hotel is listed in the Historic Hotels of America Book. Many inaugural balls have taken place there. It is only 4 walking blocks to the White House, Washington Monument, Smithsonion and Lincoln Monument. There are some great restaurants in walking distance, and a cvs on the same block. All in all the Mayflower is amazingly convenient to everything. The front desk was helpful, hotel exterior, lobby and entire building is very impressive looking. The rooms are a bit small, but this hotel has been around a long time! Rooms are decorated tastefully and bathrooms are very clean and well stocked. All in all we had a great experience and would definitely go back.

Stayed March 2006
8 Thank cathilia
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I stayed here with my three children and husband. We stayed in an executive room with two double beds. The room was very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. The top cover was raw silk. The bathroom toiletries were very nice.

I am very picky about my hotels and am an avid trip advisor user. This hotel is comparable to the Ritz Carlton. Great service, wonderful room and the location is literally twenty steps from a metro stop. My family and I had a very memorable time.

9 Thank Kameron101
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 24, 2006

I got a special deal through my Visa credit card. I stayed here in February which is the “off season”. The deal included a $25 food credit and (if available) a room upgrade. I checked in at 9pm. The woman on line ahead of me complained that her room was next to noisy machinery, and she got another room. When I got to the counter, they said I wasn’t entitled to ANYTHING else because I got such a low price. I said give me my free meal and my room upgrade or I’m out of here. I should have printed the e-mail with the special offer. Apparently their computer didn’t show the details of my special offer. They said they couldn’t do anything without approval from Marriott who they had to call on the phone. I was pissed off. They *wanted* to get approval, they didn’t “have” to get it., there’s a big difference. Eventually they agreed with me, but I got the same noisy room as the other woman. This must’ve been the worst room in the hotel, it was right above the huge roof-top ventilation system. Back downstairs I went. *Finally* I got what I was entitled to, a room upgrade and a sandwich via room service. The bathroom had 2 sinks, “gold” fixtures and a fake marble countertop. It didn’t look luxurious, it looked tacky, The heater sounded like a noisy air conditioner. I set the thermostat to “off” but that didn’t do anything, so I just unplugged it, and used my coat as a blanket. I NEVER use hotel blankets.. Yes I’d probably stay at this hotel again as I’ve seen much worse. Face it, if you get a low rate, be prepared to fight for a decent room. That’s true of ALL hotels.

Stayed February 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed February 19, 2006

The Renaissance Mayflower is a nice hotel. The service is good and the location is very convenient. You can easily walk to the best shopping, sites and restaurants in DC. The rooms are comfortable, well decorated and well maintained. The staff are friendly and the rate was great for DC... just $169. This is not a Four Seasons or Ritz, but for that price, you cannot beat what it offers.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business