“Just lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights 9/18-9/21 for a weekend getaway to DC. We got a rate of $85 per night through priceline. We are mainly budget travelers and rarely stay at high end hotels, so this was a real treat for us. The lobby and promenade is just beautiful and very elegant. There were numerous weddings and other functions happening throughout the weekend so it was not uncommon to find people in evening gowns and tuxedos milling about, where we felt a bit out of place in our "tourist" clothes, but quickly got over it.

Staff at checkin was very helpful - we arrived early (10 am) and did not expect a room to be ready, but it was and we were able to go right up. She offered us a choice of 2 doubles or a queen bed, and we chose the latter. She also offered us the option of upgrading to a suite for $50 a night extra, which we declined.

Our room was just lovely. I can see why other posters mentioned the rooms being on the small side, but it was fine for us. My only complaint would be there is not a lot of drawer space - if we were staying more than a few days we would have had to work out of our suitcases. The bathroom, on the other hand, was so large you could practically do laps in it. Definitely a highlight.

We ate breakfast at the Cafe Promenade restaurant on our last morning, which was very expensive but delicious. Some interesting options beyond your typical breakfast fare. We also had drinks at the lobby bar in the evening, where the staff was wonderful.

The hotel is actually very historic, and there is a little display on the mezzanine level above the lobby with some interesting facts and artifacts about the hotel's history. Make sure you check that out.

The location was terrific - half a block to the Metro, which took us everywhere we needed to go, and plenty of Starbucks and other quick service eateries for a quick breakfast or snack. CVS right next to the Metro for incidentals.

Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SED960

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

I booked this hotel because of a great rate on the internet. I was in DC to attend a meeting in another hotel two blocks away, but I did not want to pay >$250.00 a night to stay there for six nights. The Mayflower is a great choice. Its location can't be beat: the White House is a short stroll away, a Metro station is 1/2 a block away, and this older hotel is beautifully maintained. My room was large, nicely furnished, and very clean. The hotel has the best complimentary fitness center of any hotel that I've seen, and they furnish headphones for the machines, as well as fresh fruit for a healthy treat afterwards. The hotel is very close to some nice restaurants, and it is a short stroll up Connecticut Avenue to Dupont Circle for addtional dining options. The staff of the hotel could not be nicer.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

We’ve been staying at this old and venerable hotel for many years and have been sad to witness its gradual decline. True, the lobby is beautiful. Our room was large, the A/C effective; the bathroom clean and expensive looking. But the TVs are old and small, the décor of the room itself dated, the internet connection slow (at a cost of nearly $15/day including tax), the parking fee exorbitant ($40.50/day + tax vs. $15 for the garage across the street); the bar closed for renovation. Beyond these physical shortcomings is a decline in service (couldn’t cash a check due to a “systems problem”; coffee no longer delivered to the room; no more turndown service; confusion with valet parking). Next time we’ll look for alternatives.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

Mayflower is a beautiful hotel with excellent staf. When I arrived from the airport I didn't have any dollars for a tip for a driver and the bellboy just gave him $5 without charging me for it - what a service! I had a room o the top (10th) floor witha great view. The room was large with a big bathroom. I was a little disappointed by the weak choice of toiletries. They only provide soap, shampoo and a conditioner. Nothing else. There is a high speed Internet in each room but you have to connect via cable which sucks a bit cuz I like to sit in bed and work on my laptop. The Internet is not free unfortunately.

Mayflower is located near the Dupont Circle and there is a metro stop right next to it, therefore the location is excellent!

Overall, good experience!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel is really nice - it is a historic hotel and has an elegant feel to it. The location is great. Restaraunts abound, around the corner from the Metro, and wonderul service. Never ate or drank at the lobby bar or the restaturant, however I have heard great things about both and the lobby bar is always crowded.

I've stayed here multiple times and I would definately recommend it. The rooms may be slightly dated for the younger crowd, but it is a historic place. If you want modern amentities, decor, etc this is not your place. My only complaint is the guestrooms need new TVs. Linens, toiletries were great. Room was very clean. Men's store in the lobby has very nice clothes. Concierge and desk staff are wonderful. I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

I stayed at the Mayflower for 3 days with my girlfriend at the end of august. Got a deal on priceline, so it was definitely worth the price we payed. The room was quite small, with no view, but everything was functional and clean. The hotel itself (outside the room) is really beautiful.

The best thing about the hotel is probably the location. A 5-10 minutes walk to the White House (Washington Monument and the Mall are even doable on foot), and even closer to Dupont Circle.

The downside was the price of everything else (40$/day for parking, bar and restaurant very expensive). Also, there is no pool.

Overall, I would recommend it if you can get a good deal on the Internet.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Piscataway, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

This was my and my husband's first time touring Washington, D.C. so we were afraid of booking a hotel that wasn't "conveniently located." Thankfully, the location of the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel was PERFECT! We had scheduled a tour of The White House and the Renaissance Mayflower was just short of 3 blocks away.

We also loved the beauty and historical appeal of the Renaissance Mayflower. The lobby was very pretty and the classic decor was cozy. We were thoroughly impressed with the staff too ... the concierge was more than helpful and everyone else was genuinely friendly.

The only drawback I can report (which is small in comparison to our overall stay) was I would have liked the room to have been a little cleaner. There was somewhat of a slight dampness in the room and lack of ventilation didn't allow for a fresh, clean smell. I think if ventilators or fans were added to the bathrooms, that would help a great deal.

Overall, I would recommend anyone stay at the Renaissance Mayflower. Several of the Washington D.C. tour buses/trolleys pick up right in front too. Couldn't have been more convenient.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple