“Had a Ball at the home of Inaugural Balls”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #67 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Was honored back in Fall 2011 to get to stay at this historic "Grand Dame," as Presidents used to refer to this hotel. It was perfectly vintage looking on the outside, but with all the modern comforts of home in the room. The food at the breakfast buffet option was pricey, but laid out so gorgeously, and deliciously worth every bite. It was almost in walking distance to many interesting sites, and we took in every one we could when not working. I for a photo shoot, my partner for some p.r. work. Hope to re visit this historic hotel again, but am glad I got to have this experience I can tell future generations about.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TiffMateas

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Our family absolutely LOVED this hotel. We managed to get a wicked deal through Hotwire and I'm so glad we got this hotel! The staff is top notch, very polite, will always help and smile, I haven't seen a single frowning face, they all looked happy to be part of that hotel.

The location is amazing and pretty central, a quick walk/drive to all major attractions - the White House, all the museums etc.

The room was so beautiful and the beds/pillows were super comfy (and I'm usually quite picky about the pillows!) - they also had a very nice and clean bathrooms with great set of toiletries.

But the best thing about them is that when my son accidentally left his favourite stuffy they sent it back to us to Canada!!! I would definitely stay there again when I get a chance!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Mayflower and attended events there for many decades. I was stunned to enter the hotel on my last visit. They eliminated the charming lobby bar area, as well as the charming old bar that was on the left as one entered, and replaced both with a tacky, noisy space on the right hand side of the lobby. My husband and I endured one visit to the new bar, and never went back. Previously, we delighted in meeting friends in the old bar. I also found that the lobby bar area was a great place to people spot, and more than once ran into friends there by chance. This was an ill-judged renovation which has taken much of the charm and fun out of a Washington classic. The effect is to make the hotel colder and less welcoming. The rooms do not appear to have changed, but the attraction of the Mayflower was primarily the public spaces where one could see and meet friends and spot famous faces.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KasiaNY
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate knowing what you enjoyed about your stay and where we have area for improvement. I will forward your concerns to the hotel manager. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further concerns.

Adam Grode
adam.grode@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed for a week for work. I found the staff very helpful and the location was perfect. Literally 5mins from the Farrgot North Metro which is 3 stops from Union Station. Also very close to DuPont Circle with lots of restaurants and night life. Rooms are also quite spacious, modern and clean.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The spicy margaritas are one of the best things to ever enter my mouth. The atmosphere was electric and a great time was had by all. Everyone around us was having a jovial time and the party never ended. You MUST try a Spicy Margarita.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2014

In town for a sports event held over the course of several days at the Convention Center.

This is a huge hotel and used quite a bit for large conferences.

Pros
• Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Cleaning staff was very good too.
• Beautiful hotel, inside and out.
• Beds comfortable. Bathroom clean and updated.
• Clean hallways and rugs looked newer.
• The famous Mayflower bar is here.
• Nice gift shops.
• Centrally located in DC.

Cons
• Parking is expensive at the hotel. You pay 46.50 for valet parking. You can park around the corner and pay $30/day but it’s still a valet service (meaning you just can’t get your car when you want it). It typically takes 10-15 mins to get your car at the hotel and only 5 mins at the place around the corner.
• Breakfast is expensive
• Wifi is not free
• At the front desk I asked for a USAToday (typically free) and was told to purchase it at the gift shop

I would stay here again but would look for a better alternative for storing my car.

Room Tip: The higher you are, the further you're away from the city road noises.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank gwevans
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were so looking forward to staying at this hotel which had come highly recommended. We were traveling with our 2 children and had booked connecting rooms months before the trip. When we arrived, we were not given connecting rooms and even the manager was unsympathetic to our situation. Our bill was also full of erroneous charges (internet fees, the breakfast bill was higher than the paper receipt, parking charges were twice what was originally quoted). All in all, this has been the most disappointing hotel experience we have ever had.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

You should have expected more of your stay at The Mayflower Renaissance Hotel and apologize that we were unable to deliver a better experience. Feedback such as yours is taken very seriously and we share it with our various departments so that we may find ways to improve our service. I do have all your information and will be reaching out to you soon. Please accept our apologies for the lapses you experienced and we truly hope for the opportunity to serve you again.

Darcy Roberts