“Two day visit to DC”

Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Two day visit to DC”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Great location for exploring DC. Most things are walkable. Good selection of restaurants nearby. Concierge very helpful and can book most things for you ahead. Convenient for metro and city tour buses leave from outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Clean but bed a bit small
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was delighted to return to DC after being away a year and planned to stay at one of my old favorites, the Mayflower. Unfortunately, it is not the same as it used to be. The rooms are still lovely and clean, and the effect of the grand lobby is still breathtaking. But the old amenities that made it world class are lacking. The biggest issue is the lovely Promenade Restaurant has now been turned into meeting space/"ballroom." This leaves the Edgar Bar as the sole restaurant in the hotel. It is inadequate and totally without charm, dishing out the usual "Marriott food" of average burgers and French fries and very boring flatbread pizza, served less than warm. Worse, I was unable to find a quiet table for myself or for a party of two on three occasions during my 4 day stay. Just about every table in the restaurant is in or very near the bar, televisions, etc. There is a back room that is quiet but it was closed/unavailable the whole time I was staying at the hotel - apparently the staff does not like to serve in the back (quieter) rooms. If you want a quiet meal, you will want to stay in your room and order room service from a not very creative menu.

The staff complained to me about their work hours, and the hotel ran out of clean linens during my stay (they let the guests know this by putting a flyer announcing the linen shortage under the doors of all the guest rooms).

You might want to stay at the Mayflower for the grand lobby and lovely room, but don't expect an exceptional world -class experience. Now it is just a plain old Marriott "Courtyard," albeit with a stylish wrapper.

1 Thank VJEBDC
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We appreciate your review of The Mayflower Renaissance and apologize that several aspects of your stay fell short of your expectations. All of your concerns will be shared with our management team as we are always working to enhance our facility. If you would like to further discuss your stay, I can be reached at darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Darcy Roberts
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Just returned from a five day trip to Washington, DC and stayed at the Mayflower. The hotel was clean, roomy, convenient to attractions, and service was excellent. That being said, those things are normal for quality hotels anywhere. What I appreciated about Mayflower were little things like an empty refrigerator where I could purchase water and snacks that I liked and keep there! Also, most hotels give limited condiments for making coffee in the room. The Mayflower had extra of everything with real creamer, not dried up packets! One day the city was shut down due to snow and the hotel set up coffee service in the lobby, which is usually just on weekends. Again, the hotel was great, but the little details made it the best. I will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I know this is a super late review, but it just goes to show you that over one year later, this disaster of a stay still sticks in my craw.
I had reservations to check in Friday, Oct. 19, 2012 and check out on Tuesday Oct. 23. I was part of a business group who was having meetings on Tuesday at the hotel, but I flew with my children earlier over the weekend to enjoy D.C. with them. We arrived at the hotel at 8 pm -- me, my 8 year old daughter, and my 1 year old son in a stroller. After valet parking our car, unloading our stuff, I got to the registration desk only to be told there were no rooms for me and they were going to send me to a sister hotel down the street! What? Then the next person behind me, checked in and got a room while I was standing off to the side. At this point, I told the front desk to cancel my reservation, and I called my admin assistant to find me another hotel. She did after about 20 minutes, and as I got the valet to retrieve my car, and loaded it back up, one of the managers came rushing out to apologize and said they would have a room for me ready in an hour or so and would I like to enjoy a free dinner. I said thanks, but no thanks, I'm already packed up and the offer was just an hour too late (would have been nicer to been told this at the front desk right away). Then he offered me a free night. I said again, the offer is too late. but thank you. Then he said he would send me a certificate for a free night some other time, and I said thank you, I would appreciate that, and gave him my business card.
Later, our event organizer complained to the Mayflower event planner and she also promised to make things right. She called my office and talked to my admin and said she would send a basket for my kids as an apology.

Yes, I never heard from either of them again. Needless to say, our business group has never had a repeat booking at the Mayflower as I insisted we never use them again. And, I've managed to avoid all Marriotts nationwide for the past 23 out of 24 hotel stays around the country in the past year plus.

What prompted me to write this after so long, is that I had a similar bad experience with a hotel in Toronto. They told me no room available until 9:30 pm when I was checking in at 4:30. Well, this hotel has since bent over backwards to make amends with me and I am very appreciative of the stark contrast with the Mayflower people.

Anyway, I know this is late, but this experience ranks as leaving the worst taste in my mouth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank skb533
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
We appreciate the opportunity to hear about the experience during your stay at The Mayflower Renaissance Hotel. We regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and we would like to address your concerns. I would like to further discuss your past stay, please email me at darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com.

Darcy Roberts
Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Mayflower on numerous trips to DC and they never fail to take excellent care of me and any need that I have. Reservation wise they are very helpful, I make reservations for numerous individuals and they make sure that everyone is well taken care of and stays connected together. Whether it's paperwork I need printed, arrangements that I need, transportation, or simply help in organizing the trip and coordinating with the folks I'm with they just get whatever I need done without any hassle. Rooms are very nice and they recognize that I am a frequent, albeit yearly, customer and upgrade me most of the time and do anything possible to make my stay both more comfortable and more productive. It's important to note that the excellent service that I consistently receive is provided by every single staff member from housekeeping to front desk to concierge and everyone in between. The Marriot club is welcoming and provides a spot where I can go and relax in a congenial atmosphere with a snack or beverage. Plus the breakfast is simple and easy letting me get into my day quickly without having to go out of my way. Really makes my business in DC go smoother and with good results.

Room Tip: I really have never had a bad room, I am a Marriot club member so my preferences are noted on my rec...
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed at the hotel during a recent business conference. My room was comfortable and very quiet. I thought the price was high given the time of year and location. If you have business on capitol hill plan to take cab because it isn't walking distance. The meeting rooms were nice, very well maintained facility.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from elevator
1 Thank sjdif
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I just recently stayed at The Mayflower and was really impressed with their great customer service. Their staff goes above and beyond to meet your needs. The hotel itself is a beautiful historic hotel.

The only complaint I had was I found my room to be a bit loud (I'm a light sleeper) but was able to have that resolved (again through the great customer service The Mayflower provided). I'd definitely stay there again when in town.