“Still a bad memory”

Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
San Francisco, CA
“Still a bad memory”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I know this is a super late review, but it just goes to show you that over one year later, this disaster of a stay still sticks in my craw.
I had reservations to check in Friday, Oct. 19, 2012 and check out on Tuesday Oct. 23. I was part of a business group who was having meetings on Tuesday at the hotel, but I flew with my children earlier over the weekend to enjoy D.C. with them. We arrived at the hotel at 8 pm -- me, my 8 year old daughter, and my 1 year old son in a stroller. After valet parking our car, unloading our stuff, I got to the registration desk only to be told there were no rooms for me and they were going to send me to a sister hotel down the street! What? Then the next person behind me, checked in and got a room while I was standing off to the side. At this point, I told the front desk to cancel my reservation, and I called my admin assistant to find me another hotel. She did after about 20 minutes, and as I got the valet to retrieve my car, and loaded it back up, one of the managers came rushing out to apologize and said they would have a room for me ready in an hour or so and would I like to enjoy a free dinner. I said thanks, but no thanks, I'm already packed up and the offer was just an hour too late (would have been nicer to been told this at the front desk right away). Then he offered me a free night. I said again, the offer is too late. but thank you. Then he said he would send me a certificate for a free night some other time, and I said thank you, I would appreciate that, and gave him my business card.
Later, our event organizer complained to the Mayflower event planner and she also promised to make things right. She called my office and talked to my admin and said she would send a basket for my kids as an apology.

Yes, I never heard from either of them again. Needless to say, our business group has never had a repeat booking at the Mayflower as I insisted we never use them again. And, I've managed to avoid all Marriotts nationwide for the past 23 out of 24 hotel stays around the country in the past year plus.

What prompted me to write this after so long, is that I had a similar bad experience with a hotel in Toronto. They told me no room available until 9:30 pm when I was checking in at 4:30. Well, this hotel has since bent over backwards to make amends with me and I am very appreciative of the stark contrast with the Mayflower people.

Anyway, I know this is late, but this experience ranks as leaving the worst taste in my mouth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank skb533
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
We appreciate the opportunity to hear about the experience during your stay at The Mayflower Renaissance Hotel. We regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and we would like to address your concerns. I would like to further discuss your past stay, please email me at darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com.

Darcy Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Mayflower on numerous trips to DC and they never fail to take excellent care of me and any need that I have. Reservation wise they are very helpful, I make reservations for numerous individuals and they make sure that everyone is well taken care of and stays connected together. Whether it's paperwork I need printed, arrangements that I need, transportation, or simply help in organizing the trip and coordinating with the folks I'm with they just get whatever I need done without any hassle. Rooms are very nice and they recognize that I am a frequent, albeit yearly, customer and upgrade me most of the time and do anything possible to make my stay both more comfortable and more productive. It's important to note that the excellent service that I consistently receive is provided by every single staff member from housekeeping to front desk to concierge and everyone in between. The Marriot club is welcoming and provides a spot where I can go and relax in a congenial atmosphere with a snack or beverage. Plus the breakfast is simple and easy letting me get into my day quickly without having to go out of my way. Really makes my business in DC go smoother and with good results.

Room Tip: I really have never had a bad room, I am a Marriot club member so my preferences are noted on my rec...
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed at the hotel during a recent business conference. My room was comfortable and very quiet. I thought the price was high given the time of year and location. If you have business on capitol hill plan to take cab because it isn't walking distance. The meeting rooms were nice, very well maintained facility.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from elevator
1 Thank sjdif
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I just recently stayed at The Mayflower and was really impressed with their great customer service. Their staff goes above and beyond to meet your needs. The hotel itself is a beautiful historic hotel.

The only complaint I had was I found my room to be a bit loud (I'm a light sleeper) but was able to have that resolved (again through the great customer service The Mayflower provided). I'd definitely stay there again when in town.

Tampere, Finland
Reviewed February 19, 2014

One week in this hotel. World class hotel - what else can I say. Breakfast one of kind - strawberries in breakfast! Atmosphere was not only about money - this was about style. Rooms were old but those were still updated in proper way. Placement excellent in city - walking distance to most of attractions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Mayflower is a beautiful, elegant hotel. We were in awe of the delightfully decorated lobby. Our room was small but comfortable and nicely decorated. We ordered room service the first night and the service was quick, the food good and served on a cart that expands into a round table. It felt like having a nice meal in a restaurant in your room! The hotel, however, seem to have a bit of a "split personality". The level of service was not consistent with the glamour and elegance of the hotel. We stayed for President's weekend and were surprised to find that there was no bell service (it was pretty cold all weekend, so maybe that's a valid excuse). There were one man at the check-in desk when we arrived at about 8pm and after helping a women who locked her key in her room, appeared a bit irritated by the time we checked in. Breakfast at Edgar's is good and service is excellent. There was a good variety of breakfast foods. Fruit was great, pastries and breads not so much (a bit on the stale side). We also had a lovely afternoon tea at Edgar's. It's a good deal at $35 (including a glass of very nice champagne). Everything was yummy and the tea (coming from a passionate coffee drinker) delicious. One order is enough fro two people. My last objection is that the coffee and toiletries in our room were not refilled regularly. We did phone to ask for more coffee and received some immediately. I just felt that when paying almost $200 per night, I did not want to phone costumer service asking for coffee! We really loved the look of the hotel and the location is excellent. We will definitely be back if they update their service slightly. But, all in all, we had a pretty good stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2014

On our first trip to DC this past weekend my daughter selected this hotel from tripadvisor bc she liked the flags (she's 9), so I read up on the reviews and decided I'll give it a shot. I have to disagree with the negative comments written on here about this place. While I know it is possible to have set backs any place, we had a MAGNIFICENT experience. Snowstorm Pax had just gone by Washington so we didn't even know if we were going to make it there. I contacted the hotel general manager, Darcy Roberts, who was BEYOND amazing with us. We were upgraded from a regular room to a one bedroom suite and she was even following up to see what the status of our arrival was. She even left some treats for my daughter in the room so she could have upon arrival!. I have NEVER experienced this in any of my travels and have traveled quite a bit. The hotel is beautiful. It has a very nice lobby area with free wifi, which is also available in the mezzanine floor (a must see, the area is beautiful). Restaurant Edgar is located in the lobby of the hotel with a nice bar area and great breakfast buffet, which was included with our stay rate. I highly recommend you take that offer as it is so convenient to go have breakfast without having to carry your jacket, camera, purse etc... and the food and service were exceptional. The hallway to the various conference/ballrooms is so glorious with huge chandeliers and beautiful marble floors. The concierge was extremely helpful and always suggested good places to eat and great directions. The hotel has such an amazing location! it's walking distance to everything we wanted to see. Some walks are longer than others, but the weather was great and coming from Miami, walking in the cold weather was a very welcome change for us. The check in staff at the front desk had a huge group of sports girls and their families checking in, but that didn't make the wait long at all. They were super fast and courteous treating everyone with a smile. Our room was spectacular! we had a view of the ABC News offices but that was not our reason for being in our hotel room, so the view was not an issue for us. It was spacious, had a living room area, a small kitchen equipped with a small fridge and coffee maker. The closet was a good size to fit our luggage and hang our clothes comfortably. It had an iron and board and blow drier, which came in very handy. The room is separate from the living area, which was great. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, it was hard to get up each morning! There is also a small armoire with tv in the room and drawers underneath it for additional storage. The A/C system worked just fine for both a/c and heater. The bathroom was also spacious and clean. Our room 784 was just what we wanted it was located in a quiet area of the hotel. The hallways are looooooonnnnggg, but our room was not too far from the elevators so again we were very happy. The décor is very nice and fitting for Washington DC style. One of the things I really liked was how kid friendly the entire staff is from front desk to waiters at the restaurant - a true plus when traveling with children. I truly enjoyed staying here and have already recommended this hotel to all my friends and travel agent.

Room Tip: Hallways are very long so if you don't want to walk a long distance to elevators be sure to say...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family