“Classy central place”

Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Paris
“Classy central place”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel was ideal for the conference I was attending. Very confortable, great staff, good food. A stroll away from the White House and also DC's nightlife. Quintessential American hospitality. Swimming pool not part of hotel but facilities good. I would definitely recommend it to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: swimming pool not part of hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had not been in DC for many years - we found the location, the rooms and the staff at the Mayflower Renaissance fit all our needs. I had called the concierge ahead of our arrival and was very pleased with the service she gave. We walked to several restaurants recommended by the concierge (or found on Tripadvisor) and to a nearby church, we used the nearby metro stations, and appreciated the friendly but upscale atmosphere of the Renaissance. Our room was an upgrade, thanks to Marriott status and we were able to take advantage of the club level lounge, again based on Marriott status. There was an excellent breakfast buffet each morning in the club lounge and snacks were set out in the evening. Our room was spotless. The parking is expensive but we didn't want to drive in the city when it's much more convenient to use public transportation or walk. The staff was very friendly and helpful to us. I'm not a coffee drinker and the person at the front desk offered to personally get tea bags for me to have in our room when I mentioned that we only had coffee in the room.

South Bay area, Ca
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I spent a week here on a government rate, so I'm sure I did not have the best room in the house. It was pretty small though--no room for a side table on one side of the bed. The room was partly updated and partly old. The bath tub/shower was all newly tiled and had a great shower, but the wallpaper next to the tile was kind of old. Pillows in the bed were old and small. Good gym area. Super friendly staff. Bar had expensive drinks but a heavy pour. Nice touch of free apples and water bottles in the lobby (and gym). And a great location. I might return, but I would probably also look around for other options.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ohio
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Had I realized DC is practically within a couple miles (the sites) would have stayed somewhere that offers things like wifi and bar staff that can speak clear English. The bellhop and cleaning staff are great but as far as help from anyone else good luck. Gift shop girl who is obviously new is totally clueless to such simple things as you wrap jewelry and don't drop everything in a ball in a bag with a glass mug..seriously. It's like the staff is all hired by one person and they all know each other. For $400 a day you don't get WiFi, any food or free coffee and not even water in the warm refrigerator. There are many more hip places. This hotel needs to get a clue. Foreign visitors and conventions are keeping them alive. Edgars bar is good but slow as is everything in the city. We waited over 20 minutes for a drink. Prices are steep there too.

• Stayed November 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying here so I think I should start with its plus points.
Great location. We walked to the Whitehouse from here and got the metro from Union station easy enough.
The building. The building is impressive and the lobby area lives up to the past guests you read about in the tour books.
The staff. Really helpful and waiting to help you. Check in was smooth and the girl was welcoming, giving me a map and was seemed genuinely lovely.
The not so good... Once you leave the lobby you feel as if the care and attention to the hotel stays there. The rooms were basic, and in need of some TLC. Yes it was big and clean but the finesse was just not there. The main down side for me was the bedding. They still used blankets which is a bit dated but the fitted sheet on the mattress did not fit it. To me this is a basic for any hotel and something I do not expect to see. The corners kept coming off and the sides rides up exposing the mattress. In the end I slept on the top sheet with the bathrobe over me. They also don't offer free wifi in the rooms. Something someone wandering throughout the lobby can get but not a paying guest.
It was a little disappointing and I think the hotel could be great if they just put some money into it. Perhaps then would believe that a President might still stay there.

Eagle River, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I spend a weekend at the Mayflower. Rooms were very comfortable, clean and quiet. We found the staff always welling to help and always offered a greeting when we passed. The location is easy walking to area sites. If you are site seeing in DC, get to a downtown location, park your car and walk. Driving in town is a real test of nerves!!

Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a wonderful old hotel that has for the most part kept up their common areas and kept the character of the place while updating. I was here to attend a conference so the rate was reasonable (for Washington DC) and the food service was excellent. Being a Marriott Platinum member I had free breakfast every day and it was quite good with a wonderful selection. Only problem I had was that you can't get a cup of coffee in the hotel early in the day. Went down Sunday morning to find a cup of coffee (the pot in my room was not working) at 6:25 AM and they said they would have coffee out around 7:00. Really?? Just seemed odd that you can't get before then. Other than that the stay was very nice and the room comfortable and large for a bit city (upgraded due to Platinum status no doubt).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business