“Exceptional Value for D.C.”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #64 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Mayflower on a summer weekend at the rate of $107 a night. For an elegant, historic hotel in the heart of D.C., you can't beat the rate.

The service was excellent, with nice touches, like free coffee and Wall Street Journal in the lobby, lemonade (spiked with Jack Danies if you desired) and candy in the lobby in the afternoon.

The hotel is shoiwng its age, and appears due for a makeover. for example the brass finish is wearing off the fixtures in the bathroom, and one of the bedside lamp's switch no longer worked.

The fitness has been redone, and is very good for a hotel gym

At the rate, the Mayflower was an exceptional value.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the hotel facing the street can have a lot of noise from emergency vehicles...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Recently returned from a 2 night stay. Extremely reasonable, and great stay. Needed 2 beds, so we ended up with doubles (but I knew this going) - which were really too small for people who are used to a queen. Rooms were really nice. Staff was excellent. We had tickets for the Old Town Trolley prior to arriving, and found out at the hotel that the stop was right outside the door. Close to Metro. And most impressive to my 8 year old daughter was that the ABC News Washington Bureau was across the side street (and visible from our room). Valet Parking is expensive ($54) but there are two self park garages literally across the street from the side of the hotel. No swimming pool, but that worked for me!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Once again my husband is here on business and I tagged along. First impression is the lobby, and it's a mess. A Greyhound bus station is the most descriptive visual image. There is always a line at the front desk and never enough clerks. People are milling about aimlessly so to even walk in is a nuisance. There are tourists in various state of beach wear and once there was a homeless man camping out there. A million people are just standing there pecking away at their cell phones. Maybe they need some couches or something, to accommodate all this? Because there is nothing there so people just stand or pace, and there are a lot of people there, always.There seem to be a lot of staff all over the place but they all seem not really to be doing anything. For example, there's a protocol for breakfast - wait for the hostess to seat you. There is of course only one slow, totally unimpressed hostess and a crowd of people every time, so people just wander around, then get rerouted by waiters, and generally there is an appearance of complete disorganization. There doesn't seem to be anyone in charge. Employees are all here, but no one is busy or has any purpose. I heard that this is a unionized hotel, which would explain the complete lack of competency. The room we have this time is ok, standard stuff. There was actually tooth paste here, which was nice - an actual useful thing. There is no microwave and only 3 devices can be hooked up to wifi at a time. This time around, my main complaint is the door. Our key cards just do not work. No matter how many times we have had them recoded, even though employees came up 3 times to fidget with the door lock, even though they have promised that NOW it finally works, the door never works. If we forget that, we come all the way up, walk all the way to our door, and then have to go all the way back down. It is, needless to say, annoying. But much like everything else here, no one seems to know what to do other than apologize and give us a new card. They just don't have it together here. Breakfast is not good. It's always the same - some almost-but-not-quite-spoilt brown salmon, unsalted potatoes, ham. If you ask for an omelet, be prepared to have it arrive late, cold and completely wrong. Waiters speak selective English. The new breakfast room is weird, awkward and nowhere near as nice as the old one. The bed is terribly uncomfortable. On the plus side here really is just the central location. And if you care, a lot of famous people have stayed here in the past.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Was a a business event. Yes, the hotel is beautiful, the rooms well appointed, blabbety blah blah. But what was really outstanding was the way Zina at the front desk took charge of a horrible situation and saved the day - night. 'Above and beyond the call of duty' truly fit the incident and I am grateful - and plan to stay here again when I am in Washington, even though I am an SPG member.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at the Mayflower in May, while attending a conference. There's very little else better than an all-expenses paid trip. HOWEVER, an all-expenses paid stay in a magnificent hotel like the Mayflower Renaissance Washington is most definitely the icing on the cake.

The hotel is awe-inspiring from the outside. Stepping into the ornate lobby literally blew my breath away. I do not often stay in hotels this grand, but when I do it, it spoils me just that bit more and makes it harder for me when I have to do the budget hotel thing....

My room was spacious with two beds, one of which I spread a lot of things across. There was a big desk, which was well-lit and at which I spent a good amount of time working. When it was rest time, there was the comfortable bed, sumptuous pillows and countless T.V. stations to watch.

I cannot remember if there was a complimentary breakfast or not. I am inclined to think perhaps not, because I tend to pay attention to services like that.

My one complaint was having to pay for Internet service in my room. I firmly believe that in this day and age - and especially in a hotel of this standing - there should be free Internet service provided to guests. I paid for 3 days and on my last night there, I had to go down to the mezzanine floor, where there was free Internet. So, the option not to pay was there, but having to carry your laptop or device down - and in my case, late at night - is not the most convenient thing to do.

The Mayflower is located near Dupont Circle, which has many shops and a lovely small park. Within short distances from the hotel are many restaurants, cafes and Metro stations. If like to walk, this is a good place to stay. If you like beautiful comfortable rooms and good service, I also highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I recently stayed here for a work trip. It is hard not to compare but for a similar trip I did last year I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental hotel and the rooms were much larger and much nicer. This one was just average. The bed was not as comfortable as I would have liked and the AC unit was super loud which made it hard to sleep. For the price, I would have expected more.

There also is no pool in the hotel, which I really would have liked. The bar was decent and served some good drinks for a decent price. The location can't be beat. Close to the subway and close to many cool restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dreamk
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The negative, I waited for more than 2 hours for my room key after I checked in. I was tired and very upset for the wait. Their excuse was that the rooms were not ready. $45+ for overnight parking it was too much! Other wise room was clean and comfortable. Just a few steps from Metro, CVS, Subway, other shops and a few blocks from monuments.

• Stayed: July 2013