“Good, Top Brand Hotel With Some Issues.”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #66 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am about 85% happy with my stay at this hotel. We book a room package at this hotel for July 4th so we could enjoy the day at the Mall for the fireworks and then just go back to our room and sleep without having to deal with traffic or the metro system. Our package included free valet parking and a free breakfast buffet for 2 adults.

Upon arriving at the hotel there was some slight confusion. They have no where to pull off the road for parking or unloading bags, so you have to pull up to the hotel while still on the street and there was a back up as 7 other cars were already there either waiting to leave or check in as well. But once we gave the keys to the Valet and got our bags unloaded from the car with the bell man it was less confusing. It took about 15 minutes to get that done.

At check in, the guy who greeted me and checked me in was very friendly and helpful. I asked about a room upgrade, since I am a loyal club member and to his credit he did try to get me upgraded to a better room, but there just were not any available. Which was fine. I understand that room upgrades are not always available.The room we were put into was a room with 2 double beds on the 6th floor and was very nice. I liked the room. Clean and comfortable. It was spacious with a nice flat screen tv and two comfortable chairs and the beds and pillows were comfortable as well. Also the room had a mini fridge, which was good to have. The bathroom was a nice size, good counter space, decent size closet with bath robes. Decor was nice and in good condition. My only issue with the room was our view from the windows.. or I should say lack of view. We were looking right at a building and some kind of roof top. So there was no view at all. Since we weren't in our room most of the day, the lack of view was not a huge issue. I called down to the front desk before we left the room for the day to ask that they send up extra pillows to our room and when we got back to our room that night the extra pillows were on our bed. So they took care of our needs for that, just as asked.

After a long and hot day at the Lincoln Memorial and fireworks, as well as quite a walk back to the hotel, we were quite happy upon arriving back at the hotel to VERY Friendly faces of all the staff, Valet, Doorman, front desk.. who greeted us with smiles, warm greetings and cold bottles of water. (free) Our room was the perfect cool temparture and relaxing to help unwind from the hot day.

It was once back in our room about 10:45pm that the small issues began. We wanted to order room service for our 2 kids, my husband and myself. But there was no menu in the room. (We looked every where) So I called the number for room service and asked them to send up a menu. At first the person on the phone argued with me and said that there was a menu in our room and described what it looked like. She was actually a bit rude about it. I explained that I had looked all over and there was no menu. After arguing with me for a few minutes she finally agreed to send someone with a menu. 20 minutes later we still had no menu. I again called the room service number and she promised that they were already on their way with a menu. Another 20 minutes... No menu. A 3rd phone call, this time to the front desk and she said yes, a menu was coming but she would bring one to me. 5 minutes later we got a menu finally. 10 minutes after that... some one else arrived with another menu. (It took less time to get the food once ordered than to get a simple menu)

The prices were very high for food. We ordered 2 kids ice creams. I asked the lady if there was anything on the ice cream other than fudge and vanilla ice cream. She said no. This was important to me because one of my kids have an allergy. We also ordered a piece of Strawberry cheesecake and a piece of flourless chocolate cake with strawberries. In addition I ordered a ceaser salad, (no meat, just a basic ceaser salad) 2 glasses of sprite for the kids, (they have sierra mist not sprite) and 2 glasses of ice water for my husband and myself. They charge $3.50 for the delivery charge and 18% gratuity in addition to the bill and tax. While I had checked the prices of the food, I didn't check the price for a glass of soda for the kids. 25 minutes after ordering, the food arrived. My shock came when I looked at the bill. It was $70. 1 salad, 2 kids desserts, 2 kids pops, 2 regular desserts and 2 glasses of water... $70. The pop? 2 cans (12oz each) were $6.00 each. $12.00 for two cans of soda. I understand that hotels like this have over priced food and drinks and over charge for room service... but really? How on earth can they feel justified in charging $6.00 for a can of pop for a child to drink? It was late so I signed the bill reciept and sent the guy on his way. Then I pulled the lids off of the food.. the kids ice cream that was supposed to be just vanilla ice cream and fudge had strawberries in the bowls. One strawberry was covered with something for the holiday. Thankfully the allergy was not strawberries but what if it had been? I did take the holiday strawberry out that was covered in blue and white frosting I think it was because my son does have a gluten allergy and I had no way of knowing what was in the frosting on the strawberry. I directly asked the lady on the phone if there was anything else in the ice cream and she said no. They need to be careful with this because allergies can be very serious. My salad was pretty much something I didn't eat. It was huge and probably would've been good, except some of the lettuce was brownish and the coutons were stale. The flourless cake and the cheesecake were delicious though.... and they included a basket of bread for free. The bread was warm and very good tasting.

Our sleep was comfortable, nice beds and we didn't hear any noise from other rooms or the hallway, including in the morning, which was great. Some hotels have thin walls, but I didn't hear any noise at all in our room. Perfect.

The breakfast buffet the next morning... average. It cost $25 per adult (it was free for us due to our package booked) and $13 for kids. My oldest son ate only a single bowl of cereal and I was thankful when the waiter noticed and also noticed that my youngest only ate a small plate of food as well. So he only charged us for 1 child buffet. I thought that was nice of him. He did a great job of keeping our table cleared and drinks filled. The food on the buffet was... decent. They had eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, potatoes, fruit, yogurt, deli meat, cereal and breads. You could also order omelettes. Was it worth $25 a person? Not by any means. If our adult buffets hadn't been free, I know I would not have felt I got any value for it paying $50 for 2 adults. I've had much better quality for much lower priced. I don't mind paying higher prices for things... I have paid $50 for a buffet before at a nice reasturant... but I am only okay paying the higher prices when the qaulity makes you feel like you get a value for what you pay. That just wasn't the case with this buffet. Food that should've been hot was luke warm. It did have lots of options, but quality is usually more important than quantity... especially at that price.

My final issue was the bill. Our package included free valet parking but yet my bill had a charge.. $45... for Valet parking. This should've been adjusted automatically without me having to remind them to remove the charge. I dicussed my issues on the room service and the valet parking with the front desk lady and she was very friendly and removed the valet parking charge. She also credited me $20 off my room service bill because I did complain about the salad and the high cost for the pop. I was glad she gave me the $20 credit. It made me feel a little better about the room service the night before. Check out was simple and fast from there. The bellman arrived quickly to our room to grab our bags for us and Valet parking got our car to us very fast. A comment about the bellman.. it was the same guy both for taking our bags to our room the day before and picking up our bags to leave... and he was great. He was very helpful. Making sure we had everything we needed in our room, answering questions we had. I was very impressed with him.

I give this hotel high ratings regardless of the few issues we had because the hotel it's self is very nice. I love the decor through out. The staff.. every single staff member we came across in person, was very friendly, with smiles and eager to help. Our room was clean, comfortable and nice decorated and the hotel is in a good location. If you decide to stay here... just come knowing that their prices are extremely high for any kind of food or drink and that you will be charged an arm and leg for things like parking, internet etc.. Which kind of seems the norm for hotels in this area.

Would I stay here again? I don't know. Yes it was a nice place and staff great so I probably would.. or at least consider it.. but I would probably skip their room service and breakfast buffet... unless it was a packaged deal again and perhaps make sure I don't have a car to park. By the way... there is no swimming pool at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pogoaddict4life

Reviewed July 7, 2013

nice hotel full of grandeur, rooms were ok, bathroom could be cleaner, first time we have stayed overnight in this sort of hotel to be honest I would prefer a Premier Inn, you still get a bed and bathroom and the rooms feel cleaner. Can't understand what all the fuss is about. The rooms were very hot.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Booked a package with parking and breakfast, charged extra for parking and breakfast twice, even after I corrected bill with front desk. Woman at desk on Friday am was a "fill in" could not make change for me. Also had to pull the food tickets manually before she would fix, took a lot of time. Surprising she had to go through all the breakfast bills to find mine. I have sent two emails to get corrected, will have to call I guess to get fixed.
I am a gold member and have access to concierge lounge....key wasn't programmed first time to access lounge. Staff on concierge level lounge not hospitable or friendly. Again surprising since these positions are coveted. The gentleman was the same two of the nights, didn't even say hello. One morning I asked a bellman for use of an umbrella...he said I needed to check at the desk. The desk clerk walked over to same bellman and asked for an umbrella, bellman said none left. Unclear why he couldn't help me, especially since it is a tipped position and usually that level of staff is eager to assist in hopes of a tip.
The valet stand - older valet was sleeping sitting up, another staff member called to him when he didn't respond to us.
Lobby Concierges were always friendly and took the time to smile and greet you.
Location was good for walking to White House area, Dupont Circle. Lovely older building.
Some odd contemporary art in Grand ballroom Hall, that really doesn't go with the marble and mirrors.
Room was large and had a refrigerator. Did not have beds made with typical 4 pillows, only two on each.
Bathroom shower rod not hung correctly, water spilss over onto floor no matter what you do with shower head.
Edgar restaurant is fine, lots of staff. Breakfast buffet was OK, one morning the maple syrup was piping hot, next no sterno and cold. A chef or uniformed kitchen person was present every morning, but didn't seem to check the buffet.
I prefer Renassaince to full service Marriott's, usually a bit more hip, this was a disappointment due to poor service and billing. I am a big Marriott fan overall but the little things do matter and this hotel just isn't hitting the service mark at all.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I visited this hotel with a large group of visitors from overseas. The restaurant provided great breakfast and lunch meals, albeit a little expensive. The hotel was clean and the rooms comfortable. The hotel is in walking distance to the World Bank and the White House and near two metro stations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Another great trip to the Mayflower. First I will say if you desire and ultra modern hotel and don't appreciate an beautiful historic hotel maybe this isn't the place for you. My room was clean and in good shape. I was at the back of the hotel and really liked the sun coming through the windows in the morning. Staff are attentive. The new business center (UPS store) saved me on a business trip, put a bit pricy for copying. Conceirge lounge and staff are great. Very crowded in the morning but that not uncommon anymore. Had some trouble getting waited on at Edgar's for a late afternoon lunch but beyond that I was happy with my stay. Extra bonus: great location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked a room here through Price Line and has high hopes for this hotel. We checked in quite late and were given a room on a high floor. My first impression of the hotel was really positive. The lobby is immaculate and very tastefully decorated in a kind of art deco style with lots of marble and gold. I thought the room would have been pretty much the same standard as other Marriot hotels I've stayed in but this was not the case. Not only was the room dated but it was also in need a thorough deep clean. We could see the dirt that had gathered in the corners. The bathroom was no better and there was soap remnants in the soap holder over the bath. The bedding was also stained with something that looked like blood. And there were only three pillow on the king size bed with no spares. I asked for the bedding to be changed the following day, only to discover that the replacement bedding was also stained. I had thought that the room would be nice and quiet since it was on a high floor but I couldn't have been more wrong. The room we had faced out in to a courtyard where it looked like all of the air conditioning fans for the hotel were situated. It certainly sounded like it too. My husband thought the window was open when we tried to get to sleep on our first night!

The layout of the room was also a bit weird The TV was positioned so that you couldn't watch it whilst lying in bed. There was also only one chair in the room (also in a bit of a state).

On the plus side, the concierge was really helpful when we wanted to book tickets for the bus tour and most of the staff we came across were really friendly.

I did get in touch with the hotel after our stay because I really was unhappy with the state of the rooms. I was promised a $300 voucher which never arrived so that's another let down.

I don't know if it's just the rooms they sell through Price Line that are grubby because I've seen some really good reviews on Trip Advisor. I wouldn't stay here again though.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Close to the White House and DuPont Circle. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, too. Staff is friendly and helpful. Our rate included breakfast ($25/person) and parking ($50/night), so if you can find a deal like that, take it! We had access to the concierge club, which was sometimes not open or prepared to open at the posted time. That was the only bad part about our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013