“Old world grandeur beside the Metro”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Philadelphia
“Old world grandeur beside the Metro”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

It's possible to feel a bit like royalty when you stay here.
The Mayflower boasts a regal lobby and elegant rooms to match. Our room was clean and well appointed, and the staff was friendly without being pretentious. I was happy to see that all lamps had the eco-friendly compact fluorescent bulbs.
The hotel also happens to be one block from the Metro. After walking all day, it's pure heaven to reach your room so quickly.

As for cons:
Room service is outrageous ($20 for a hamburger), and that part of town gets pretty quiet at night. So we bring snacks to the room.

Some rooms can be very small and/or poorly situated. I intentionally booked what they call a "larger room." I received a large room, but it was located right above the hotel's enormous A/C units. The noise was unacceptable, so the front desk staff showed me two alternative rooms. I ended up with a smaller room than what I had booked, and they lowered my rate accordingly. So if you're booking here, err on the side of caution and ask for a larger room, and be prepared to speak up if the location is too noisy. The staff does accommodate you the best they can.

Lastly, this isn't really a con, just a weird observation.
The bathrooms don't have towel bars. We had to pile our wet towels on the counter.

Stayed May 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Stayed 1 night only, on a quick business trip to DC; my first stay at the Mayflower. Overall, I was very impressed. Lovely lobby, good service, great bar/restaurants, great location, well appointed rooms, etc.. The only complaint I could have is that the rooms are a little small; more like I would expect in a european hotel than a U.S. one. Still, overall the stay was great!

• Liked — Great ambiance
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Barrington, IL
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Renaissance Mayflower. The hotel is very conveniently located in DC. I was able to walk to most places I needed to be. In addition, it is very conveniently located to two Metro stops making the trip to and from the airport very easy.

The bed was very comfortable and the room had nice amenities. The hotel staff was very accomodating. Like another reviewer, I found the lobby bartender to be very attentive.

This is a nicely restored older building. I had a very comfortable stay. I would recommend this hotel to both business travelers and leisure travelers.

Stayed April 2008
Leesburgh
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Had to stay in DC on business for an unexpected trip.

Called hotel directly, reservations team were well spoken and trained.

Hotel is beautiful room appointments were 5 Star.

Did not eat there but restaurant was busy, bar was very nice and bartender was a true pro.

This historic old place is right up my alley. Location great but parking was a hassle and expensive, well welcome to DC not as bad as NY but high.

• Stayed March 2008
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We had a wonderful family weekend over Thanksgiving at this fine property. The rooms were really nicely done and spacious. The lobby is a classic style. The staff was excellent throughout all of the hotel services. Above average work out facility.

The bar is pricey but cozy. The hotel is close to the Metro station.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ainslie45
Fayyetteville, NC
Reviewed February 25, 2008

This hotel is very conveniently located near Metro (Farrugot Station) only half a block! So it was very easy to hop on the train and be in all Museums in minutes! My husband and I spent a whole week at Room 776 (where Franklin D. Roosevelt stayed in 1933! -piece of history too ! Room was very nice and clean and the bathroom updated neatly and also super clean too. If you are picky about cleanness, this is a nice hotel for you. I particularly enjoy all Courtyard and Marriott’s new white comfortable beds to rest every day. The only thing about our room was the layout was set up with the TV on the side of the bed, but you may request TV to be in front of bed. We wanted to keep our historic room and did not care much about TV, you really won’t have much time with everything there is to do there in DC including sightings. Just make sure you don't get a room overlooking the back alley if you prefer a nicer view - Just ask and you’ll shall be served! On the brightest side, there are lots of restaurants nearby, California Pizza for Italian, Morton's for a very special and romantic dinner (expensive to impress your partner =) but avoid Bertucci’s (not so good Italian food). As for breakfast, we recommend walking to Luna or for a fast thing just go to any Au Bon Pain -delicious!!! There is a CV Pharmacy right on the block if you need your Epson salts. Also, there are banks, apparel stores, boutiques, etc… We have stayed several times in DC and in Silver Springs (we recommend the Courtyard Downtown Silver Springs if you want to be far from the city life). Overall, we would definitely consider the Mayflower Renaissance Hotel again for our next visit!

Stayed February 2008
4 Thank IvonneRC
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed February 24, 2008

As a Platinum Starwood member, I had always stayed at the local Westins and Sheratons in and around D.C. Now, those hotels all cost $300 and up, so I thought I would try Priceline. I selected the 4* category at $145 plus tax, and got this hotel. It was superb hotel at an excellent price. Room was large, well appointed, and on top floor (upon request) of the hotel. Bar on first floor was incredibly expensive. Location on Conn. Ave right next to a Metro stop and restaurants and shopping was marvelous, as was a few minute walk to the White House. Front desk was efficient, taxis waiting in line outside, concierge and door men helpful, my only complaint was the night light would not go out in the bathroom so I put a towel to block the light from entering the bedroom. TV was just ok. I will use Priceline and hope to stay here again at the same price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Prices of drinks at the bar
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business