“Weekend rates are great and great location.”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This is a big old historic hotel. It is fun to stay here but the rooms, bathrooms, furniture are not in the condition of some of the newest hotels in town. Service is ok, I mean, waits to get your room are common. That said, it is a beautiful and nice hotel to stay in when visiting dc. Great location. Totally clean and adequate.

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spent four nights at the Mayflower and truly enjoyed each of them. Washington continues to be 60 square miles surrounded by reality, but inside the Mayflower serenity, civility and calm can be found.
This property oozes with history, charm and culture. It has been updated, but in the process didn’t lose the characteristics which made it part of history.
When I arrived from Reagan Airport, three very capable door staff helped me with my bag and just inside the lobby I was greeted by a very energetic and efficient staff member behind a small podium. She took my name, found my reservation on her laptop, reached in a drawer and pulled out my keys and I was on my way to room 877, which turned out to be spacious, elegant, quiet (even though it’s by the elevators). The bed was comfortable; the bathroom included upgraded amenities, granite counters and plenty of fluffy towels. I used the well appointed gym which has Precor equipment, free weights, lots of space and is very clean. Downside is no locker room, sauna or steam.
I had access to the club lounge which was spacious, efficient and while alcoholic drinks were not free, the food was very good and the club was stocked with a wide variety of sodas, waters and juice. There are so many tables and seating areas you may believe it’s a restaurant. I was there on a Manager’s Night and resident manager Joseph Cardone did arrive and spend a considerable amount of time speaking with guests. He is an exceptional representative of the brand.
It is important to mention the staff at the Mayflower. I stay in hotels all over the world and in my opinion despite the physical features of a hotel; it’s the staff that make the difference. At the Mayflower I spoke to several staff members all how were smiling, pleasant, and helpful. And, most has significant experience at the Mayflower. The housekeeper who cleaned my room had been there for 28 years and two members of the banquet staff working our meeting had 21 years of service.
The only downside to the Mayflower is the lack of restaurant space. They are building a new main restaurant in the lobby which has pushed all food and beverage to the mezzanine and this has resulted in inconsistent service. I assume this will change when the new space is opened.
The Mayflower is a great property for those doing business on K Street or anywhere in the Dupont Circle area.

Room Tip: pay the extra money for the 8th floor club lounge. Great value
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank IndyGuynside
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were in town recently for a long weekend. Booked at the Mayflower as the event we were attending at the National Building Museum had a special rate there. Overall, definite "thumbs" up and would happily stay there again.

Location is great. Took the Metro in from National Airport. Hotel is 2 blocks north of the Farragut West stop. (go to the left as you exit the train so that you come up on 17th and not 18th). No need for a car.

Great restaurants within easy walking distance.

The only quirk that we encountered is that if you want to go swimming, they have an arrangement with the National Capitol YMCA, which is a couple blocks away. Among YMCAs that I've been to across the country, this one is one of the best. However, the hotel wanted me to leave my driver's license at the Concierge desk in order to use the Y pass. So, I'm going to walk through the streets of DC without any photo ID on me? I can understand that the hotel wants to make sure it gets it Y pass back. They just need to find another way to do it.

Room Tip: If you have the miles or status with Marriott to do it, get a suite. We had a nice 1 bedroom suite...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gapoi99
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location; half way between the White House and Dupont Circle. It is close to all the attractions and all the cool stuff at Dupont Circle. It is also a very historic hotel where everybody who was anybody used to stay, i.e. it is perhaps a bit past it's prime but still a grand old hotel.

Our only real complaint, and a minor one at that, was the service we received from some staff, especially the bell hops. We were returning from trekking in the Himalayas. This was an overnight stopover for us and we had already been travelling for about 24 hours and about 20 of those in the air. So, showing up a little dusty with backpacks we felt we were treated somewhat as second class citizens compared to the "suits". That said, the service was still polite and of a decent standard compared to other hotels. The concierge staff were excellent.

A plus was that the rooms are very well lit with a nice bright work desk. There were also a couple power bars which were handy to charge iPods, cel phone, cameras etc etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Roger123
Reviewed November 17, 2012

October convention. Hotel was full. Rooms are typical for a high quality convention hotel. But service was horrible. My husband had flowers delivered to the hotel Friday morning. They never delivered them to my room or called. When my husband asked if I liked them by phone that evening he was soo disappointed (as was I). I called the desk. They found them 45 minutes later (at 11 PM). Said their computer system had crashed. I just don't believe them. . The maid service did not come until close to 5 pm both days to make the bed or change the towels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is my second time around at the Mayflower. Upon check in I noticed they remodeled the lobby. The flow is much better. The staff was polite and pleasant even though my room was not ready but that was no fault of theirs as I arrived early. The rooms are a bit small but clean and well appointed. The water was hot and the bathroom was clean and bright. The Wifi is $12.00 a day. Buffet breakfast is $23.00. There are lots of places for breakfast no more than a few blocks from the hotel. Lots to do in the immediate area with a metro stop right at the corner. You can walk to the White House and major monuments in about 15-20 min. Taxi from Union Station will run you about $12.00.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at The hotel for 4 days. Sandy struck whilst i was there but The staff made everybody feel at home in a relaxed atmosphere. All The staff was so friendly and helpfull and my room (jr. Suite) was so cosy not your typical hotel room. The concierge was a funny and very helpfull lady that made The stay so enjoyable. My friend and i were on a business trip but due to sandy we couldnt meet our clients but The concierge did everything to keep us busy! When in DC this hotel is a must.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business