“In the Heart of DC”

Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Pittsburgh
“In the Heart of DC”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently attended a business conference in Washington DC and stayed at the Marriott Mayflower Renaissance. This hotel is one of the grand dames of hotels in the DC area.

If you want to be convenient to a large amount of restaurants and within walking distance to the Washington monuments, you can not get much closer. The variety of near by restaurants is outstanding, and you really get a flavor of DC by walking to them and other places. I would recommend if you are planning to dine at one of the better restaurants in the area make your reservations well ahead of time. DC is always busy. There really is no off season here.

The Mayflower room I had was clean and elegant, but not very large. A suggestion I would make to the hotel is that since many of their visitors are on business, they should have the desk set up to allow watching TV while working. Instead the TV and desk faced opposite directions.

There is no doubt that this hotel gets a large amount of conferences and business travelers.
I would not recommend it for families. The atmosphere is very professional and elegant, but not a good fit for children.

If traveling to DC on business this is a good choice. If bringing family, I would consider other options.

Room Tip: Make area dinner reservations well in advance.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The front desk was very polite in informing me high floor was not available as requested but hey ! there was a suite waiting for me on the fourth floor ! An awesome upgrade !! Very spacious, the bathroom was probably a bit larger than some guest rooms in DC area. A separete living area with elegent furniture, desk with working area, TV, telephones, a book case with some western classics (!!), two refrigerators, complimentary coffee, tea etc....the bedroom with a Kingbed with everything that a standard guest room would have ....except the closet was half the bedroom size...it was truly an amazing experience....and the following morning the concierge had my choice of newspapers! Impressed hands down!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was our 5th or 6th stay at The Mayflower and have always been very pleased with this hotel.

Staff at check-in is always very polite and helpful. We arrived this time a bit early, approximately 10:00am, our room was not available, however our cell phone number was taken, as we were going on a tour. We received a call within a couple of hours that our room was ready.

The room was nice and comfortable. We were on the club level, 8th floor, and took advantage of the club lounge and everything there was top notch as well.

This hotel is within a short walk to the White House and many fine restaurants are nearby. I would highly recommend this hotel for the leisure or business traveler.

2 Thank Dan R
New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was a great stay for my boyfriend and I who were here for one night on business. Small things not so great - like lack of shampoo and coffee in hotel room but otherwise great hotel and great service - also free wi-fi in the lobby which makes it ideal for business. Nice place to get a snack or coffee upstairs in the lobby bar.

1 Thank WanderingDiplomat
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6 days. I found the hotel staff to be extremely helpful - we met Jimmy (sales manager) on our first day, and he gave us some sightseeing tips and then sent up chocolate covered strawberries that evening for us! How delightful! The front desk staff and the bellmen were all very helpful. One evening we had trouble getting a cork out of our wine bottle, so called guest services, and someone was up in under 5 minutes! The service was top notch. The hotel rooms are a little dated - the carpet in the hallways could use replacing as it is showing its age but our room was extremely clean and maintained. The beds were comfortable; the pillows were just ok but could be softer. Our room was very quiet - didn't hear any noise except for the occasional siren which is typical for a downtown area in any large city. I had free wi-fi with my conference, and the hotel provided me with complimentary wi-fi for the remainder of my stay which was sweet! The location of the hotel is great in terms of the metro; a fair walk to the white house though but still manageable if you've got good shoes. I would recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank Greenapple05
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed a few days for a conference & really liked it! I hope to return. The hotel is beautiful with historical charm. My room was comfortable & clean. I was lucky enough to be on the 8th floor & stumbled upon the lounge, which was a very nice surprise. The service was amazing in the lounge with them even making up a plate of amazing food after the dinner time period was done. My only complaint is that my room was near a service elevator & it was a bit noisy at times. Otherwise it was the perfect place for me.

• Stayed October 2012
bestbed
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I can't say say how pleased and customer focused the staff at the mayflower has been. Sofie at the front desk was so helpful in assisting our room change. She understood the challenges that we faced in our current room and was able to move us to a more accommodating space. Adam the manager was kind and understanding and assisted in making the changes immediately. Although in the mix of upgrading...we left a bag behind that contained my child's insulin and monitors. They immediately delivered the bag without delay. The concierge has assisted with all of our outings making our decisions easy and painless. Thank you Mayflower renaissance !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family