“Good Location, Other Features Need Work”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #58 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Sacramento, CA
“Good Location, Other Features Need Work”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had high hopes for the Mayflower because although the reviews are mixed, it looked nice in pics, the lobby looks high end and the Marriott Renaissance reputation.

Check in and welcome was polite. Just polite. Asked for quiet room, etc with King bed. Apparently I couldn't have both due to a big conference coming in ( I know, that's why I was there...) but they said they would make a note, let me know and move me when one opened up. Room was quiet, but no view whatsoever, just old dingy buildings.

Grateful for quiet, no noise from other rooms or hallway. Much appreciated. I asked three times about that King bed, no one ever got back to me. On day two, housekeeping forgot to leave coffee. This must have annoyed someone because when I asked for that too they left this big plastic bag ful of coffee, cups, lids, etc. enough for 19 days on desk while I was out. I informed management and gave up on the bed request. They apologized and gave me extra points which was nice, but not really helpful.

Room was spacious but not super clean. Bed okay, I slept well, pillows were less than what you would expect from a Renaissance property - more like a Hampton Inn, not nice feather pillows. This may not be true for all the rooms- since I was there at a good conference rate, perhaps I was assigned to one of the cheaper ones.

On the positive side, location was very good, super convenient to Metro and a couple blocks from the White House and Dupont Circle. Majority of staff were very kind and had an 'at your service' attitude. Only ate food once there, at lunch presentation, it was okay.

I would likely not stay here again unless it was selected for a meeting but not a bad choice if location is your primary goal and you get a good rate, it's a good spot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CMFM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great location to all monuments and sites in DC. Very historic property with lots of opportunities. The food is not good and the service is okay. The rooms are okay, but service is spotty. Many great hotels in DC not sure I would stay at this one again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I've stayed at The Mayflower many times over the past three decades, but this was my first visit in about ten years. It is still a premier property in a great location with nice rooms and an excellent staff. The Farragut North red line Metro stop is steps from the Mayflower entrance. I was greeted the moment I walked into expansive lobby. Check in was a breeze, made pleasurable because of Olivia, whose personality is a great mix of warm welcome and humor. I appreciated an upgrade to a club floor (I'm a frequent guest at Marriott properties). It was on the eight floor, which also had the club lounge. While my room was not large (it is an historic, older property), it had a great comfy bed, nice tub/shower, and a view of ABC News across the street. I was not a big fan of the bath towels, which were rough, but I like the Aveda soaps and shampoo.

The club lounge was very popular and rightfully so. Breakfast was generous, with scrambled eggs, pastries, mini-bagels, fresh fruit, cheeses, cold cuts, juices, and of course coffee and tea. A manager's cocktail party had an open bar, beer and wine, with food selections that could have served as a very filling dinner. Some guests may stay there frequently, as they were greeted by name and waited on hand-and-foot.

I did not use the health club or have other meals here, though I noted that breakfast was being served in the lower level of the hotel, not the grand dining room down the hall from registration that I remember fondly. A piano bar on the mezzanine level seemed to be a popular spot.

The Mayflower is in a great location, with lots of shops and restaurants (including some great food trucks lunchtime in nearby Farragut Square) within walking distance. A somewhat longer walk (or one Metro stop) to Dupont Circle provides even more options for dining, shopping and nightlife. In a city with excellent hotel choices, you still can't go wrong with The Mayflower.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tim M
Chicago IL
Reviewed September 25, 2012

... and let's just keep that our little secret, shall we? Mayflower is our favorite because of it's location in a wonderful neighborhood for shopping, restaurants and a half-block from the Metro. The staff is GENUINELY friendly and helpful in all areas although the front door staff seems a bit tip-hungry. We booked through Orbitz and got a terrific $99/night rate; at that rate, we weren't expecting a bathroom but instead had a generously-sized regular guestroom -- and a well-appointed one at that. The bath was large and kept very clean with high-quality toweling. The classic architecture of the lobbies was reminiscent of finer European hotels. You really can't go wrong with selecting this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher-floor room; the Metro runs right below the building and there is a very, very sligh...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DwainChicagoIL
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Mayflower as part of a last minute trip to use up some travel points we had. We decided to make it a girls weekend for my daughter's birthday. The hotel definitely has its good points and its shortcomings. Parking is $45 valet or $25 in a near by lot. The service was good but sometimes a little overbearing. There is free Wi-fi in the lobby, but you pay for it in the rooms.

The room was spacious. We booked a a room with 2 doubles because we also needed a roll away. Plenty of room for the rollaway bed but there was an additional charge for it that we were not told of when we requested it. The air conditioning unit was super loud and really could use a good cleaning.

But overall a nice hotel that is convenient to so many restaurants, shops, landmarks and more. Everyone in our group enjoyed the weekend.

Room Tip: Higher floors are definitely your best choice. Also ask for room with street view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is old but well maintained with a very friendly and helpful staff. Stayed in a one bedroom suite. Very spacious but I would recommend a new floor covering carpet looks dated. Overall excellent stay. Very close to metro and excellent restaurants. We will return

Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Our stay at the Mayflower was a surprise. We booked from Australia and were pleasantly surprised to be greeted at the reception with a glass of champagne by a very friendly lady. Nothing seemed too much trouble to the staff from our perspective. It was a beautiful old building, our room was roomy and everything was clean. We wanted for nothing. Very handy to metro (about 100 metres) and within easy distance to all attractions we were wanting to see. 6 minute train trip to all the attractions! Great stay.

Room Tip: We also ask for a quiet room so don't really want a view. Our room WAS quiet which is extremely...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple