“Nice Hotel, Nice Price”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 10, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed at the Mayflower and had a wonderful experience. I would agree with other reviews that the rooms are small, but they are tasteful and comfortable. How much time do you spend in your room anyways? The hotel makes a very good first impression upon entering the lobby. It is convenient to the metro (why bother in D.C.) and walking distance to the White House. Also, there are a lot of good pubs & restaurants within walking distance. Mackey's Pub is right around the corner on L Street. Self parking is available around the corner from the hotel for $20 a night. $100 on Priceline.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank mdodge645
Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed October 9, 2007

If you require Wireless Internet, DO NOT stay here. There were many angry businessmen and women who were not very happy because the wireless network did not work all week. Having stayed at the Mayflower twice about 8-10 years ago, I was very disappointed that things have changed since then. The rooms have lost their colonial charm and have been replaced with more modern furniture. The staff, well, no attention to details is the kindest thing I can say about them. As with the previous reviewer, I contacted the hotel directly asking for a romantic surprise for my husband be placed in the room, but they "forgot." Very disappointing. The hotel is for business travelers. The concierge club is closed as of noon Friday. If you are staying for a weekend and you have earned elite status, closing the club tells me that I am not at all important. I was not very happy with my stay. There are definitely better choices.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Igavegoldieaway
Reviewed October 9, 2007

A historic grand old hotel, nicely redone, however for the price I was disappointed. The on site fitness facility was basic...the "pool" is a pass at the local YMCA..(at 400 dollars a night..I do not think so)..The communication between staff is poor.. While sitting in a friends room (we arrived very early..they offered their room while we waited for ours to be ready) the friendly bellman set up a huge screen monitor, saying it was requested the day before...we called our friends who were walking the town...they had no such request..it was politely removed. When I called a few weeks before my arrival, I explained I was traveling with 2 elderly parents, and I wanted to rent a couple of wheelchairs to have on arrival...this a very important component for this trip..I called again before departure, and was assured the hotel had "plenty" of wheelchairs, no need to rent one...well, you can guess where this ended on Columbus Day Sunday...not a chair to be found...they did manage to find one after considerable whining by me (I hate to complain)...they found 1 (not 2). At this price and calibre hotel..I would expect more. I absolutely believe you can do better in this price range.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank johnnieb
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Our stay at the Mayflower was wonderful. The location is a nice walk to Dupont Circle and the Mall. The Metro is less than 1/2 block away. The room was a nice size and very thoughtfully laid out. Our rate included a buffet breakfast which was nicely prepared in the lovely old restaurant. After walking for several hours we came back one day for tea and soup. A harpist played while we read the paper and relaxed. It was expensive but very nice. This hotel takes you back to a more elegant time. It is now owned by Marriot and part of their Renaissance chain. I checked all of the online travel rates and found the same rate at the hotel website. The weekend rate of $224.00 (including breakfast for 2) was a bargain for what we received. If you enjoy old world hotels that have been beautifully rennovated this hotel has both the lovely lobby and nice rooms.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pub2
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Gorgeous lobby. Very large, welcoming fully staffed information desk. They were knowledgable about the best way to get around in the city driving or by metro. Their directions were immaculate and that's saying alot for driving directions.
Very nice hotel staff. Not too pushy or talkative just comfortable to be around and polite. Cucumber infused water in the lobby. Very clean room with wonderful full length mirror and top notch bathroom facilities (granite, gold, beautiful fixtures, etc.) Great location in great neighborhood. Near metro and major streets so driving is easy whether into DC or Bethesda, MD. Shopping nearby is topnotch, high end discount and staple chains like Victorias Secret.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scoop-son
Reviewed September 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel for three nights over a long weekend and had a terrific time. We booked the hotel over Priceline so we didn't know exactly where we'd end up but we had requested a 4-star and found that the Mayflower was up to that description in every way. Our room was small but comfortable with a large bath, a large plasma television and whisper-quiet air conditioning. The property itself is absolutely gorgeous although we didn't spend much time there really, we were in town for the opening of the Edward Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery. Everything from check in to check out was made easy and simple. Plus it is in a vibrant neighborhood with lots of restaurants and shops very nearby and most importantly, the metro stop is just a few doors down. Since we arrived on a Friday evening, the front desk suggested that we could save on parking garage fees because anyone can park for free at meters all weekend long and we did exactly that just two blocks away.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank don15215
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I have stayed at the Mayflower for many years (at least 30 times). It was once an incredible experience...you could have three or four different newspapers delivered to your room in the morning along with fresh coffee or hot chocolate...the rooms were immaculate. The hotel was quiet and the staff incredibly polite. Now, you get a USA Today at best (a few other newspapers are downstairs in a room where you can also get coffee but you need to dress and it always chancey whether there are any left). The bar across the street blares loud music until very late (and when you ask the hotel to move you, they say there is nothing they can do). The front desk is understaffed. When you call to request a specific part of the hotel to stay (advice :ask for the quiet side facing ABC news towards 17th street), all the staff will do is say if when you check in if a room is still available they'll let you have it. Don't get me wrong it is still a nice hotel, but they have slowly but surely reduced their class from a 5 star to a 3.5 star...and for the price, it isn't worth it--try the Jefferson (after it is reopened) or Hay Adams (small rooms though) for top notch quality. for the small hotel experince try the Talbert Inn on N Street

Stayed: September 2007