“Great sleep, great location”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Newark, New Jersey
“Great sleep, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

We took two adjoined rooms (3 teen/young adult kids + 2 parents), there was an exterior door that made them function more as a suite which was nice, but we had to make sure not to close that door when we left, we couldn't obtain a key for it.

The kids loved the pool, which was active but not crowded. Maybe it was the time we traveled (the week before Labor Day) but this hotel seemed a bit empty. The restaurant & lounge were practically dead. Food was decent but service was slow for such an empty place, and during a late dinner they were prepping the tables around us for breakfast! But there are plenty of other places to eat and hang out in DC, of course. Grab breakfast or lunch at the nearby Brown Bag.

It's an easy walk to the Mall area, but in rainy/cold weather it might seem a bit long.

The beds were comfy and and we weren't bothered at all by noise, from inside the room or out. Slept very well. All in all we'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank banannie7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

This hotel is well situated within easy walking distance of the Mall and Metro Stations. While the rooms where very clean they are also very small and not as pictured on the website, the picture of the Superior Queen room is actually the Jr Suite. The room was so tight there was not space for both of us to pass at the foot of the bed. The Housekeeping and Bellman staff where very pleasant, friendly & helpful. At check in the Manager on duty informed us that there would be a hold of $90.00 per night placed on the credit card in addition to the actual room rate charges. When I advised that we did not wish to set up the ability to charge to our room, I was told (in a snooty tone) that it was standard policy & it was stated on the website that this would occur. When I asked to be shown where on the website this information was, she proceeded to ignore me but completely the check-in (less the additional charges) with my husband. When my husband talked with a differant Manager regarding the previous Managers rudeness he was also treated badly. We stayed 3 nights and throughly enjoyed Washington. I would recommend Old Ebbits Grill (just a few blocks away) and Five Guys Burgers (next to McPherson Metro Station). The cafeteria at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception has good freshly prepared food (breakfast for 2 under $9), and the buildings are beautiful. The Basilica reminded me of Notre Dame. If you intend to take the Metro spend the extra $5 dollars to get the hard plastic Metro card. The paper Metro tickets get demagnetized even when you are very careful. The Metro station staff is usually very friendly and will give you a pass to exit but you have to mail the damaged cards in for a refund (station staff will provide a special envelope with a stub you retain for reference). To exchange for a new ticket you have to go the Union Station Metro Office and they are not open on weekends. We currently have $35 in (2) tickets sitting at the Metro reimbursement office, I was informed today that it will be 2 to 3 more months before they get to August Refunds (they are currently working on requests from May). I have mixed feelings regarding this Hotel. I loved the location, the room was tiny but very clean and the support staff was without exception wonderful. To bad the daytime female Managers have to be such snots. My husband answered an e-mail survey we received from The Washington Plaza asking about our stay, we have not heard back from them to date. I would recommend the hotel just avoid if possible the 2 female Managers they where the only dark spot in a great weekend.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OntheG017
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

This was my first visit to DC and I must say that the Washington Plaza is a lovely facility. It is very peaceful, the staff is very friendly and courteous. The rooms are very clean. The hotel has a restaurant, but I must say I am not a fan of the food there. They also have a lounge area where you can get appetizers and excellent coctails. The pool is nice and clean. If I visit DC in the future I would definitely visit this hotel again. During our time there we walked to all of the tourist attractions. For September, it was very, very hot there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

We needed somewhere to stay for one night in dc and found this hotel to he very good priced.

When we arrived it was amazing close to everything. The receptionist asked for a card and as we were travelling my boyfriend had his wallet so handed over his card, she did not want it because it was a debit, so I had to rummage around my bag looking for my credit card.

The room was amazing though looking outside all I saw was a untidy looking roof!

The pool is amazing and complimentary towels!
The one receptionist was helpful by pointing out where to eat as I was after a certain type of food, she was also helpful in saying we could use the pool the next day as we are nit getting picked up till 5pm.

The one issue I have was the reception manager I did not notice but everytime I went to ask a question she was looking down at me and giving me dirty looks. My boyfriend mentioned it and I noticed she was staring at me as I asked a question. I think it is very rude to look so horribly at a guest and to make it noticeable to others. Esp as the manager.

Apart from that the hotel is amazing

• Stayed September 2010
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Nicely situated in a decent neighbourhood about 5 blocks from the White House (20 minutes walk). Staff very polite, welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Rooms very clean and spacious with big bathrooms and walk-in closets. Good aircon. Flat screen TVs. No refrigerator. Ice and soda machines on every floor. Free wifi. Good pool outdoors in front of the hotel with plenty of towels. Fantastic breakfast buffet with wide choice and (heaven!) eggs cooked to order. Would definitely go back. Good value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

The Washington Plaza is absolutely beautiful! Rooms are small but they are luxurious. I am a very picky traveller but all of my requirements were met at this hotel. No.Ten Thomas Restauarant was pretty good and their prices were reasonable. Breakfast was great... they have an a la carte menu but the best thing is the continental buffet. The buffet was $11 for the cold buffet only and $15 with the hot items (pancakes, eggs, etc.) Both include drinks in the prices. Dinner was also good, but the grilled Romaine salad was kind of wierd and misleading on the meny. Literally just a head of romaine, grilled, with a couple nuts and a thick fruit dressing all for like $12.

The best part about this hotel was definitely the pool. Not many hotels in Washington DC offer an outdoor pool, let alone one as great as the Washington Plaza's outdoor oasis. The pool was a great size and cleaned every four hours. The chaise lounges were so comfortable.. they each have an oversized pillow which is easly the most comfortable pillow I had ever layed on and I want to get some of those pillows for my lounge chairs at home! Overall, the experience we had at the Washington Plaza was great and we will definitely return on our next trip to Washington DC.

• Stayed August 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed at the Washington Plaza for 4 nights and it was a wonderful experience. The rooms were modern; I only wish there were fridges in the room. The staff (everyone from the front desk to the lifeguard at the pool) were very friendly. There was an extreme heat wave while we were there so we actually looked forward to returning to the hotel for a swim most evenings. I would only consider another hotel that was closer to a subway stop.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family