“Rude Service, Dirty facilities”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
San Francisco, CA
“Rude Service, Dirty facilities”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

The hotel is in a great location, but it is not worth it. My family ate dinner poolside and the service was terrible. Our drinks were mixed incorrectly and the bartender argued with us, laughed at us, and refused to correct the drinks or take them back. While we were eating a large rat ran through the dining area. We told our waiter, who laughed and brushed us off. Ir eported it to the front desk and they did not care. I asked for the manager who told me that D.C. simply has a rat problem and that she cannot stand outside int he dining area and shoot every bird or rodent. I was apalled.

In addition, the walls of our room were dirty and the elevators rarely work correctly.

Stay away from this hotel if at all possible.

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank oaklandasrule88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2007

It is difficult to make me upset enough to give an entity a rating like this, but what made this experience so frustrating was the unacceptable customer service at the front desk.

I feel terrible that I subjected a group of dear friends to stay for nearly a week at this horribly managed hotel. The grounds and first floor are beautiful, the restaurant fine and the location good. The front desk staff, however, (two men in particular) was outrageously rude and the place is falling apart. In addition to the elevator being out half the time, the plumbing was almost comically bad when multiplied by more than ten guests. They messed up room reservations and so much more and were consistently utterly callous about the inconvenience.

• Liked — location, lobby, bar
  • Disliked — rudeness of staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank IamTired
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2007

Let's be honest I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading some of the reviews; and I conveniently forgot to tell my wife!
But now that we've returned to the UK I would like to say a big thank you to everyone that made our week long stay so pleasant. We have 2 children; a girl of 5 and a baby of 8 months and the staff were so good to them. I don't want to single anyone out but a big thank you to Gamal in the restaurant who always had a cheery good morning and if he he wasn't there his colleague would fill in! Also we are very grateful to Kirsty on reception and her staff. My wife is a shopalcholic and wanted to go to the Potomac Malls. Whilst we went out she found out how we should get there and left a message on our phone.
Our room was big and clean. Location is great- there is a CVS (Pharmacy to non americans!) oppositethe hotel. Mind you this being america remember when they tell you opposite it can mean a long walk as everything is so far away! And it really is only 5 blocks to the White House!
The only negative thing that I would like to highlight is that the lifts (elevators) take ages even thought there are 4! And if you order room service bear in mind that that they already include a tip- so don't do it twice!
We hope that if you stay you will have a great stay like we did. i think I will now pass on these comments also to our tour operator Virgin holidays as too often all you hear is complaints.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — elevators
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LondonDodo1
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I chose the Washington Plaza for a Valentine's Day getaway. From the moment we checked in, our stay was a pleasant one. The room was large and clean, the staff was friendly, the food in the hotel restaurant was AMAZING, and the Vodka Bar was perfect for a few Valentine's drinks--not too crowded, great bartender, great drinks, and they even gave us a complimentary fruit and chocolate plate! The only thing I was a little frustrated with was the high price of parking (being from Virginia, we simply drove into the city and parked in the hotel's parking garage). Also, it is a pretty long walk to the Mall, but there is a subway station right near the hotel, so even if you aren't up for the walk, it's still a great location!

• Liked — clean, friendly staff, awesome restaurant and bar
  • Disliked — price of parking
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ageeksaga
Nashville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2007

Some colleagues and I recently stayed at the Washington Plaza Hotel. Overall, our stay was okay, but 'just okay' doesn't seem like enough given the hotel's cost.

The lobby is nicely decorated and gives the sense that this may indeed be a 3-star hotel, but once you step out of the elevator to reach your room it is clear that this is a 2-star hotel. The hallway to our room had metal pieces on the edges of the wall, some of which had fallen off and were laying in the hall (see attached pic).

The room was okay and the beds were comfortable, but there were several small issues. First, the toilet was filthy; it looked like either it hadn't been cleaned in a while or the last guest had gotten sick and the maids failed to clean it afterward. The bed spreads and dust ruffles also did not match- not a big issue I know, but it looked tacky. Several of the dressers were also missing handles in the room.

Also, the air conditioner in the room did not work. After our first night we asked the staff to fix the problem or transfer us to a new room. They informed us that all rooms were having a cooling problem and there was nothing they could do. So we spent the second night with the window open for a breeze but had to deal with the loud city street below. The third night it got chilly so we left the window closed but now the air conditioner vent (which still didn't cool) was making a rattling noise whenever it was on, so we left it off. When we complained again, the staff said there was nothing they could do to help (Wow-thanks!).

On another note, our room window opened entirely- which we were glad given the lack of air conditioning- but I realize this could be a safety hazard for people traveling with small children.

Finally, I used their workout facility which was nice and included about 3 treadmills, 1 bike, and 2 elliptical machines, all of which had their own personal TV (but note there were no weights). They also had filtered water and towels, which was nice. However, there was nothing to wipe/clean the cardio machines, so hopefully the staff were periodically cleaning them!

So overall, our stay at the Washington Plaza was okay. I'm not that picky and so a lot of the issues mentioned above wouldn't have bothered me if I were paying a nightly fee appropriate for a 2-star hotel such as this. But since we were paying nightly rates appropriate for a 3-star hotel, I found these issue bothersome because the quality of the hotel did not match its price. If you want a 3-star hotel you might consider one of the other hotels in downtown DC.

• Liked — Room service- quality of food
  • Disliked — Room quality- no airconditioning and dirty bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank emilius77
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

I recently hosted my family for 3 days at the Washington Plaza. The lobby is nice, the location is great, the rooms are adequate in terms of size but the service is quite bad and there was no air conditioning in the rooms! The hotel rooms were hot and stuffy and the front desk informed us this was because the air-conditioning hadn't been turned on (however it was on in the lobby)!!! The hotel rooms don't even have thermostats! Also, be very careful when ordering transporation to the ariport at the bellhop staion--the hotel will call you a "van service" which will run you about 4 times what a taxi would cost. Overall, the hotel does not seem to be management very well.

Stayed April 2007
Augusta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2007

I just stayed 2 nights (March 4 and 5) at the Washington Plaza and have to say it was the worst hotel I have ever seen. The hotel was booked by my company for a conference (I never would have stayed here on my own considering the reviews I read). Smallest room I have seen -- broken and missing blinds on the window -- no curtains -- not a thing on the walls -- no headboard -- the most uncomfortable bed and pillows ever. The furniture looked like it came from a garage sale with broken pieces and missing chunks of fake wood. The bathroom was absurd -- the "gas station" toilet had to be pumped 4 or 5 times to get it to flush, and every pump caused water to leak out of the pipe all over the floor. There was nowhere to sit but on the bed and no climate control for the room. The lobby is deceptive -- DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! My third night in D.C. I stayed at the St. Gregory Hotel and it was fabulous! I got the room for $130 total and it was night and day different -- clean, well appointed, spacious -- a much, much better option.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Tiny, miserably maintained room.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Terryteeth