“Poorly Furnished, Broken Equipment, No Service ... Avoid!”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #25 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 15, 2005

For $179 per night, I was given a room where the one (1) chair had a broken leg so I could not sit comfortably, the TV remote was missing and its replacement had only half the buttons functioning, and the clock radio volume control was broken. And that was only the room! The service staff seem to have taken lessons in how to AVOID interactions with guests (concierge, front desk and bar staff). I must note, however, that the restaurant staff were very attentive and pleasant! How I wish the breakfast buffet had lived up to the promotional copy!

When I checked out, the clerk said, "Was everything okay with your stay?" I recited my litany of woes (above). All she said was "Will you be keeping this on your credit card?" No apology. Not even a HINT that she was listening to me.

The whole place feels tired, old, dusty and moldy. There are far better hotels in DC -- some in the same neighborhood -- that offer better prices.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank ontheroadtoomuch

A TripAdvisor Member
New York City
Reviewed February 23, 2005

I stayed at the WAshington Plaza Hotel, during the week of February 14, 2005. I was a bit worried about the hotel because of the uneven reviews. DC was practically booked that week and the prices were too high at most other hotels, so I decided to take a chance. I was a bit sceptical, but the hotel turned out fine. The staff was very helpful, including Raheel in the evening, and Saheera in the morning. The rooms were clean. They were simple and a bit small. Decoration was not a strong point, but then again I was only there to sleep in the evenings. The shower was not the best though. THe water pressure would go out a bit for two mornings. It is true the rooms temperature could not be manually controlled, but the room was well heated for winter time. I ended up adding two extra nights to my stay and was accommodated quite quickly. The rate had gone up about by then, but they cut me a deal and only raise it up by $30 instead of the $80 it had gone up. The hotel was also very close to at least three metro stops, so it was very convenient. So overall, I was pleased with the hotel and the service.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2004

We stayed at the hotel the end of November. Very clean and nice hotel, we only ran into one problem with the heat. It was a bit hot and the staff was willing to correct the problem. Most rooms were just painted or in the process of being repainted. Staff was very nice and helpful. Easy walking distance to monuments and easy access for anyone driving into the city.

6  Thank TwoSims
Reviewed December 11, 2004

4  Thank JanLorna
A TripAdvisor Member
Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed October 18, 2004

We arrived at the hotel for a stay October 16, 2004 through October 19, 2004. We attended a seminar but late reservations prohibited us from getting into the hotel of our choice due to the many activities in the city. We arrived around four o'clock. Our credit card reservation specifically requested a King/non smoking room. They said they did not have one available for us but offered us an up-grade.

Well, I almost passed out when we arrived at our 6th floor room. The room did not have a clean and freshly made up appearance or smell. The furniture and lamps looked like something straight out of the Salvation Army. There was a sleeping area and a sitting area with a pull out sofa bed. The coverlet on the sofa looked like something picked up from a second hand store. They could have done better with a coverlet from K-Mart. The carpet was old, raveling and dingy. There was a rip down the carpet separating the two rooms. The hot and cold water facet in one bathroom ran at a trickle. The walls were completely bare and the lamps.

However, in spite of the terrible room, the staff members were very polite and accommodating, maybe they had not visited any of the rooms. The restaurant dinning was very good but not good enough to lure us into another stay even for one dollar.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 14, 2004

After a 20 hour flight - and having asked for an early check in - I was kept standing up for 3 hours (because a large delegation was using all the seats at the lobby). I asked for a courtesy room so I could at least shower and the receptionists actually laughed at me. 3 hours later I got a room that was actually stinky and dark. To my surprise I was awaken by a horrible drilling noise that came from the hotel itself at 5:00 a.m.!!!
I asked for a new room and packed all my clothes so that they would only have to move my lugagge to the new room. Guess what? I got a new room that at least was clean but my suitcase was lost!!! Finally my lugagge was found and I simply checked out.....I know you won't believe me but the receptionists didn't give me a receipt because "I have already payed with my credit card" , so no receipt for me. End of the nightmare, thank God!!!

7  Thank Viajeraenfamilia