“Comfortable and business-like”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times. Snazzy rooms - colorful and bright and cheery. Comfortable and clean. Nothing to complain about - nothing to rave about.

It's in a central location, handy to many things. It's about 5-6 blocks from the Macpherson Square Metro station, which is close enough for most purposes. If you like Indian food, and don't mind walking about 10 blocks, head for the Bombay Club, perhaps the most elegant Indian restaurant in DC.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear that our hotel rooms and amenities were to your liking and found our location convenient for your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Tom Casey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,756)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have lived in the DC area since the 1960s and have stayed in many of its hotels. On several occasions, I stayed at what is now the Washington Plaza (it's had other names). It was usually OK. A bit rough around the edges. My reasons for staying there was that it was often a place where I had meetings and because it was less expensive than other hotels.
A few days ago, I stayed again and have nothing but praise for the changes in both the facility and staff. The staff was exceptional, the public areas bright and shiny, the room was perfectly clean and comfortable with unexpected amenities, the cost of parking was reasonable, and the low cost of the room was a welcome relief after staying at some of the outrageously expensive DC hotels. Its location is excellent and close to many of the new trendy restaurants with easy walking distance to the metro and Dupont Circle. Now, I would certainly recommend this to others and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We did not have a great view, but we did have low price. I'd ask for a higher room with a better...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank isajk

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable time and were happy with your accommodations, the service, and convenience of our hotel for your activities. I appreciate the positive feedback in regards to our team, and will continue to deliver this experience one guest at a time. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in Washington during a longer holiday and, as travelling with children, we chose this hotel mainly for the swimming pool. Sadly, we weren't able to use it - it closed just around the time we were returning from sightseeing and every time the lifeguard had a break. One night there was even a private reception around the pool. The hotel is 5 blocks back from the White House, so is well positioned for getting to the sights but did not feel like the safest location at night when we were seeking food. The restuarants in the immediate area were either full of after-work drunk and loud workers, or were take-outs. We were approached and harrased by people begging at night. The hotel restaurant was expensive and had nothing suitable for my children. On the positive front the rooms were comfortable and nicely furnished but of all the hotels we stayed in whilst in the USA this was the most unwelcoming and the stand-offish. On our arrival I fell outside on the cobbles and not one person came to help or asked if I was oK - even though the door staff were standing nearby. For breakfast, there are several very good breakfast bars nearby. Washington DC is fabulous and we will definitely return - but not to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dawmouse

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I will review your feedback in detail with our team and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that our service continues to improve. If you would like to further comment on your experience, please contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Went online and viewed the park and stay package under (specials and packages), selected book now, picked my dates, added the AAA discount and booked the room. Now I find out that even though I had been booking under the park and stay package and it let me select AAA rate, once the AAA discount is selected you lose the parking and breakfast. Nowhere does it say this during the online booking. So I had no clue it changed the package. I am happy to have found this out now because I still have time to cancel. Website needs to be more clear that it is removing the package you selected. Waiting for a call back from management at this time.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced with your online reservation. Your comments are a very valuable tool for us to continue to look at better ways to improve our guest’s experience. Please contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The front desk staff is superb. In fact, all the employees of the hotel I interacted with with kind, helpful, and thoughtful. My questions and requests were always answered cheerfully and thoroughly. The location is very convenient and the price is very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed at this hotel several times and

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank alan t

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am delighted to learn our hotel and team made such a favorable impression on you. I appreciate your kind acknowledgement of our Front Desk team and their dedication to making our guests’ stay memorable. We look forward to your return trip to Washington, DC!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Was in town to see a play at The Studio Theater. It was nice to be able to check in before the evening show, catch dinner and walk a few blocks to the theater without having to drive.

We got a king size bed in room 400. The bed was comfortable, and had 4 nice, fluffy pillows on it! Perfect for propping/lounging while watching TV, and cozying up to while sleeping. We were pleasantly surprised that the room included a balcony with a view that overlooked the pool and the circle. Would have enjoyed sitting out there, if the weather was warmer. We enjoyed the view, nevertheless. The room was spacious and everything was clean and neat. I liked that they had toiletries from Bath & Bodyworks. That was a nice touch.

It is always convenient to have a fridge in the room, for drinks and snacks and we did put ours to use. The cold temp was just right and our containers just fit.

While we didn't use room service, I would consider it when we return in the future, as it had a nice selection, and was reasonable priced.

The staff was friendly and courteous, from check in to check out.

Our only complaint about our room was that every time the heating unit switched on and off, it .
made a loud clunking noise, which almost sounded like someone slamming a door. I could even hear it through my earplugs during the night. We could also hear our neighbors toilet flushing and shower running, too.

The overall value was great, and we were glad that they do reduce their room rate for AAA & AARP. Please be aware that they do require a minimum of 48 hour cancellation!! We did have to re-book our stay, as the snow interfered with our original plans for Valentines weekend! Note that the daily parking rate is $30 per day.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LLyons

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding your accommodations and our friendly team. I see that you experienced some issues with noise, and I apologize for any inconvenience it caused you. Please know that I addressed your concerns with our Engineering Department. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was my second stay at the Washington Plaza - and again, I was more than satisfied. The staff were great and friendly - I appreciated their good mornings in the hallways!

The staff in the conference rooms where our meetings were held were very helpful. I am thankful that the PAN Forum can be held at the Washington Plaza and hopefully continue there.

Room Tip: My room on the 3rd floor facing out was great except there is traffic noise. And my sleep quality w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to learn that you were more than satisfied with your stay and you found our team so helpful and accommodating. We pride ourselves on providing excellent service and strive to exceed our guests’ expectations. We look forward to your next visit so that you may enjoy another stay with us.