“Great location, great staff”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Camas, WA
“Great location, great staff”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Visiting family nearby and found this to be a wonderful location. Walks to the Capital and to museums were doable, even in the recent very cold weather. Staff was cordial, attentive and helpful, especially Charika in the restaurant where we ate breakfast for 5 days.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MedMicro
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am delighted to hear our location fit your needs perfectly. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize our colleagues and the excellent service they provide. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington, DC!

Tom Casey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The gem of this hotel is its people and the service they deliver. These people were top shelf good!

Like many hotels in the D.C. area, this is a older property.

The rooms are smallish but clean and functional. If you are six foot or taller, you will appreciate a showerhead placed high enough to get you clean comfortably. The water pressure was good.

The lobby is in good shape with a modern-ish twist.

The pool looked nice, but the 10 degree weather precluded any thoughts of dallying.

Some renovations were underway, so it is unclear whether the noted irritations will subside in the near future. If it is important to you, the TV signal was spotty and I had signal failures for the local channels on an ongoing basis. Even some of the seemingly cable channels went in and out at various times. The free Wifi worked only decently for my laptop, but we struggled with any browsing speed when using an IPad.

The meeting rooms were comfortable and the meeting area wifi worked well. The fitness room consisted of a few free weights, as well as a few elliptical and treadmill apparatus.

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim B
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our associates and their dedication to making our guests’ stay memorable. I see that you experienced some issues with the TV signal, and I apologize for any inconvenience or negative impression this might have caused you. Your comments are a valuable tool for us to continue to look at better ways to improve our guests’ experiences. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was pleasant enough. It was in a good location in which you can walk to the White House . Some lovely places to eat were also close by Thaitanic was excellent and very reasonably priced.
The room was ok in size and was nice and quiet

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cas65
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location and were pleased with our accommodations. It was a pleasure to have you here and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Washington Plaza is in a great location for exploring Washington DC. It is very central – just up the road from the White House and the Metro – and well-situated for reaching most of the major sites. In fact, if you don't mind a stroll, attractions such as the Capitol and even Arlington are walkable.

The only downside is that the location it is not the greatest for bars and restaurants – you’ll have to walk a few blocks before you find any.

The rooms are spacious with decent enough décor. The beds were comfortable, although perhaps were overdressed with blankets and pillow. The shower room was quite pokey but a separate sink came in handy. My only niggle was that the heater was a bit loud; not dreadful but just took a bit of time to get used to. The rooms were cleaned to a very high standard and the free bottles of water each day were a nice touch.

Staff and service were good too.

4 Thank Antony78
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location and the ease of walking to all the popular city attractions. It was great to read you found the room spacious and clean and the bed comfortable. I’m sorry to hear you found the heater system a bit loud and hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Belgorod, Russia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

It's a lovely place to stay. Rooms are clean, and the staff is polite and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay there. The hotel is close to everything in the city and has a nice view of Thomas Circle. Excellent wi-fi.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Anna I
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay. I am delighted to learn you found the room clean and our team polite and helpful. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Washington, DC.

Virginia
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I like this hotel. It's simple, clean, staff are friendly and its in a great location in Washington DC.

Even though we were staying for one night they upgraded us for free to a suite which was really nice. Someone else checking in at the same time as us was also being upgraded to a different size room.

The parking fee is typical for Washington DC and as much as I hate shelling out $34 a day for parking (after taxes) that's what it's like in any big city may it be DC, NYC, LA, Miami, etc.

Here's my one issue with this hotel...

I pre-paid for my room and got a great rate. My card was charged and that was that. When I got to the hotel I was expecting to only have to pay the extra charges for parking. Instead the first thing they did was run my credit card and charge it $140 for a room deposit. Okay - I understand wanting to have a customer's credit card on file in case they damage or destroy something in the room... but never have I stayed somewhere where they go ahead and charge your card in advance in the off chance you damage something. We were staying only 1 night, and it took 4 days after we left the hotel for this $140 charge to come off my credit card and be reimbursed. I have an issue with this, because we were on our way to NYC and I had exactly enough money on my card to pay for the hotel in NYC and with this $140 room deposit charge it prevented me from paying for my next hotel with the card I wanted. It was very inconvenient. I understand them wanting to keep information on file in case of damages, but I didn't know that they were going to charge me $140 (at check in they said they wanted my card in case of room damages) and it's my fault I suppose for not asking for more details. I wish they would change their policy so that if someone does damage a room, they just charge that person after the fact since they still will have their card on file. That's how most hotels do it.

Now, an extension of this issue with them charging my credit card for a room deposit was the fact that I had already pre-paid my room and was only expecting to pay for the parking. What they ended up doing was refunding my pre-paid room rate, and charging my card again for the pre-paid room rate plus parking. This again caused me credit card difficulties because the initial refund didn't come back as fast as the charge for the room plus parking showed up on my card instantly. So I had 2 charges from this hotel (cost of room and then cost of room + parking) before the refund for the pre-paid room had come through. Combine that with the $140 room deposit they charged my card as well and this hotel had charged me over 3 times my room rate before any of the refunds for the room deposit or for the initial pre-payment had come through.

I wish they had only charged me for the parking fee rather than trying to refund my pre-paid room and charge for the room and parking at the same time. It made things way more difficult than they needed to be.

I like this hotel, and yes I would stay here again, but for someone with a tight financial wallet they may not be able to make it when this hotel's procedures mean they charge you so much up front and refund your card after your stay.... some people cannot wait 3-4 days for the refunds to be credited to the card, especially if they are en route to their next trip destination and expecting that money to be available them to on their card.

5 Thank VTJedi
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at our hotel. It is encouraging to know that you were pleased with your accommodations and services provided. We put a hold for any extra charges that might come from the Restaurant, Lounge, Room Service, movie rentals etc., and the hold is released when you check out. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. We value your business and trust that you will come back and visit the next time you are traveling to Washington, DC.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I booked a 4 night stay from 12-26-13 thru 12-30-13 and had such a great stay and were enjoying our vacation so much that we added an extra day and night and ended up staying 5 nights instead. This hotel is very nice, extremely clean and the staff are all very nice and helpful! We did not encounter any issues at all. We did Valet park our car and it was an excellent experience. The price to Valet park was $30 a night and self parking was $27. I booked through Priceline and got an excellent price. The housekeeping staff does a great job keeping the rooms and hotel very clean. One day, upon leaving to site see, it was raining and the doorman gave us an umbrella to use for the day. We were impressed with that. It is in a perfect location and a short walk to the Metro Blue Line. Once on the Metro, you can get to all the tourist places very quickly. The hotel is in a perfect location and we felt safe walking around even after dark. It was quiet and comfortable, too. I enjoyed the Bath & Body Works brand of bath products they supplied us with everyday. We had a great view overlooking the pool and roundabout. The balcony was a nice touch, too. There are tons of places to eat around the hotel in all price ranges. There is also a CVS pharmacy across the street should you need anything from that type of store. All in all, a wonderful hotel to enjoy a nice vacation in DC! I HIGHLY recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay again!! We did not eat in the dining room there, but they do have an in house restaurant. We did purchase something from the gift shop and the sales clerk was kind of rude and less than friendly, but, don't let that stop you from staying at this hotel. It is an excellent place to stay and everyone else at the front desk, the door men, the Valet attendants and the housekeeping staff were all wonderful and super helpful!

3 Thank LoveBug41
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay and our hotel rooms and amenities were to your liking. I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our friendly team and the hard work of our Housekeeping Department. Thank you for your kind recommendation and we are all looking forward to welcome you back soon!