“Great place to stay”

Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was in charge of planning a short trip to DC for my family and eventually chose the Washington Plaza for our only night in DC. I chose the motel for its proximity to the monuments and its price.
We were very pleased with our stay.
Me, my wife and young daughter stayed in a room with a King bed and had a pack-and-play put in our room. My parents and sister stayed in a room with a King bed and my sister was able to sleep on a pull-out couch.
Both rooms were clean and in good shape. The pool was also nice and served as a great refresher on a hot afternoon.
At first, the $200-plus rate seemed high, but it was by far the cheapest I could find for anything in the area that was in good shape.
One comment our group had would be for the workers to strongly suggest using the metro to get to monuments from the motel. The first day we were there, we all walked to the White House, Washington Monument, etc. and were exhausted. After realizing we could take the metro starting three blocks from the motel to right near the monuments, we did that the next day.
A worker mentioned the metro as an option, but we were unfamiliar with the system and didn't realize it was such a good idea. It would've been nice if the employees said that would likely be our best option.
Overall, we were quite pleased with the motel and would go back if we return to Washington DC.

2 Thank GoTwins34
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that your accommodations were satisfactory. We appreciate the constructive feedback in regards to emphasizing metro as an option for sightseeing. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards,

Tom Casey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Where can you find an efficient 4-star hotel in the middle of a large city that suits both families and business travelers. We stayed in D.C for 3 days on our way back from LA to Sweden and did all the traditional sights like the White House, Capitol Hill, Lincoln memorial etc. and for this porpose the hotel was perfect as it is close to most sights and has a large, warm pool to relax in after sightseeing! Most recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sofiestar
Thank you for your review of the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am delighted to hear that we made a favorable first impression on you. We strive to make our business and leisure guests equally comfortable, and I’m pleased you recognized and appreciated both aspects of our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to the Washington Plaza Hotel so that you may enjoy another stay with us.

Best regards,

Tom Casey
Elmhurst, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Washington Plaza while visiting my daughter who lives in the general area. This hotel was a fantastic bargain. Besides the great rate, the rooms were exceptionally clean, the proximity to area attractions and the Metro is very convenient and the staff is beyond courteous and pleasant. The pool area is another added bonus. The front desk person I dealt with, Courtney, was fantastic and upgraded my room when my original room wasn't ready. The really cool thing about this was I was early as I got there at around 1PM so this was just someone giving professional customer service. All in all awesome place and I'll be back.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Plaza.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Washington Plaza last weekend and had a wonderful visit. The staff was so friendly and helpful, the lobby open and airy, the parking easy, and the room comfortable. Other family members stayed across the street, paid almost twice as much, and didn't get as nice of a room. My only regret was that I was so busy playing in DC. That I really didn't spend a lot of time in the room. I did love the decor, the conveniences, and location. Thanks for making my week end stay wonderful.

Room Tip: I loved the balcony
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here solo on business for 3 nights a few weeks ago. The Washington Plaza was great, from check in to check out. The front desk staff were nice and helpful, the restaurant had tasty continental breakfast and dinner and the dining staff were very efficient. My room was clean and well appointed. I had a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony and view of the pool and Thomas Circle. The AC/room temperature was very comfortable. The door men were wonderful with getting me taxis and were very friendly. This wasn't anything extravagant, but was a wonderful clean safe hotel with everything a business traveler could ask for. And it was close enough to walk to the White House, Monuments, and all the sites. Couldn't have asked for more, would definitely stay here again if I'm in DC for business or personal travel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking Thomas Circle!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jessica C
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Large modern hotel, great location for doing the tourist sites in Washington, mostly walkable from the hotel. The room we had was large, on the top floor, nice view. Swimming pool was a bonus but became crowded after 5pm. Tried breakfast once, it was buffet style and we found it to be good value. Professional and welcoming staff. Tip:- turn right out of the hotel and walk up 14th street, you will come to neighbourhood bars/cafes/restaurants off the tourist trail.

Room Tip: Upper floors may have less traffic noise, all rooms overlook a fairly busy roundabout. The top floo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TEDBUN
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Good location, quiet, safe and accessible. Room service was quick and tasty, the pool was lovely and well maintained. Room was satisfactory- large and did everything I needed it to and had a good view. Would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the pool and the circle...great view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo