“A steal in an outrageously over-priced city”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #27 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Washington DC has outrageous hotel rates. Even the suburbs are no bargain. The so called conference special rate at the Renaissance was $189 per night. The Washington Plaza nearby had rooms for just $125. Great St. Thomas location off Mass Avenue. Metro McPherson Square. Only negative: they "upgraded" me to a room with 2 double beds and changed the rate without telling me. I caught the bait and switch and they changed it to the rate I reserved at. (I asked for a quiet room facing north--not an upgrade). Always verify the rate you are getting.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 2Midwest
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel and service, so guests’ opinions and feedback are important to us. I am glad that the room upgrade issue was attended to promptly. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Tom Casey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,715)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I were down for the Residents show this past weekend. The room was a good size with two double-beds. The lounge had a happy hour where all of the bar menu items were $6 and beer was around $4. Not bad for DC. It is blocks away from two different Metro stations. You are close enough to walk to Chinatown, the Verizon Center, and the Convention center. I would love to come back in the summer because I have read that their pool is to die for. The area around the Convention center used to be very sketchy, but it has improved significantly. I never once felt concerned walking back to the hotel from 6th and I. Check Hotels.com and other sites to get a good price for this hotel. We spent $100 for one night and felt it was money well spent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you found our hotel convenient for your needs, and that your accommodations were satisfactory. Please come back and visit us again this summer so you can enjoy our beautiful pool (May 18 – September 8, 2013).

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been in this Hotel twice last two years for business reasons and using Booking.com I found the rate per night favorable (about 140 $/night). Considering it is located in Thomas Cirlce it could be considered cheap.
The room cannot be considered a luxury one but it is confortable and offers all that is needed by a business traveller: Good (Free) Internet Access, a desk with many power outlets available and an appropriate noise insolation.
The Bathroom is spacious enough and there is a safe where can easily fit a laptop and a wallet.
The consierge and the Lobby personnel are smart and accommodating.
I didn't try the restaurant of the Hotel.
I can suggest this Hotel to anyone who need a good accommodation in that part of Washington for business or for fun (The White House is four blocks away...).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank zani_stefano

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our property. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I agree that we have a perfect location close to most government buildings and popular DC sites. I greatly appreciate your kind recommendation to others and look forward to your next visit to Washington, DC and the Washington Plaza Hotel!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is an amazing hotel in a great location for all of The best sights. We had a huge room which was very nicely decorated and very clean and comfortable. Had a nice big fridge which is always appreciated! Even has a turn down service where they leave bottled water which is a nice touch.
All the staff were always very friendly and helpful.
As comfortable as our room was I will point out that it was located behind the elevators which I could hear during the night. Didn't bother me enough to say anything but if you do like a silent night I would mention it at booking!
Really good rates for the quality and location of hotel. Also has a outdoor pool which I'm sure would be nice in summer!
Going to five guys burger and fries just down 14th st nw is a must- absolutely delicious.
Washington, D.C. Is amazing and can't wait to go back- will stay here when we return!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank prowsey7

Thank you very much for the 5-star review! I am pleased to know we made such a favorable first impression on you. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our central location and our unique decor. It is always great to hear compliments on our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have stayed at this property many times, always come back here when visiting Washington DC. Great staff, very nice rooms, convenient location. They have underground parking, Haven't had dinner, but breakfast is always good. Easy to find as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

We appreciate your praise of our property. We are pleased to know that our location, accommodations and team keep you returning to our hotel each time you are in Washington, DC. Perhaps during your next stay you can dine at the Ten Thomas Restaurant and try some of our Chef's delicious meals. We look forward to your next visit to Washington, DC and our hotel!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed last month for my sorority's Centennial Founders Weekend. The location is phenomenal if you plan to visit the convention center. Leave out of a side door and you walk directly to the convention center. The rates were amazing as well. The room is a tad bit smaller than I anticipated, but it still held four adults without an issue. I will be staying here again in July.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Knowledge1913

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you appreciated our prime location in downtown Washington, DC. I am delighted to hear that you are planning to visit us again in July and we would be happy to welcome you back!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have never write a review before, but in think its worthy to compliment this hotel. The staff it's super friendly, the service it's worth a 5 star plus, everything was so clean, and the rooms are very good, for the price u can get any better, I was really pleased with my stay. U have ppl at the front door who opens and greets u every time .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Loly B

Thank you very much for such a glowing review! We truly appreciate all of the compliments on our hotel and I will be sure to pass them along to our associates. I am glad to hear that you experienced our warm hospitality during your last visit, and we hope to see you back soon.