“Safety in a storm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Plaza

You added Washington Plaza to your Saves list
Washington Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
$10 off room rate
Ranked #25 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Safety in a storm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was recently stuck in Washington DC when the Superstorm Sandy hit and I had to stay a couple of extra days. I booked this hotel through booking.com and check in time was meant to be 3pm. I turned up at midday and they immediately let me have a room.
The room was clean with lots of cable tv channels, fridge, hairdryer, safe, ironing board, hairdryer and toiletries. There was a desk that I could plug my laptop into and there was free wifi throughout the entire hotel.
I ate in the restaurant and the food was good, and at happy hour in the bar I had a glass of wine for $5.
The hotel is a few blocks from the nearest metro but I mostly walked around Washington.
I needed to get to the airport and when I asked at reception they immediately managed to book me on to a shuttle bus for the next day with less than 24 hours notice.

Room Tip: I stayed at the back without a view, but it does mean no road noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback on all the aspects of your stay with us. It’s great that we were able to safely accommodate you during the storm. Our rooms are equipped with everything you need so I was glad to hear how comfortable you were. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Tom Casey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Other than the somewhat smallish size of our bedroom, I can't find fault with anything else at the Washington Plaza Hotel. It was a pleasure to interact with all the very nice and helpful staff I met (front desk, gift shop, restaurant, bar, doormen, maids). This does not seem to be like a place where people hate their jobs! The decor in the lobby and bar is understated and calm. There are a good breakfast buffet, and efficiently designed bedrooms and bathrooms. For the relatively low weekend price we paid, it was a nice surprise to get evening turndown service. The hotel is just a few blocks from the Metro, with plenty of restaurants and several theaters within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharoninsc
Thank you so much for the 5-star review! I was delighted to hear that you received great guest service as we pride ourselves on our attentive and friendly team. Our team truly works from the heart and love engaging with our guests. It makes coming to work or staying as a guest a true delight. I agree that we have a prime location in downtown DC. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Reading some of the other reviews for this place I wonder if we stayed at the same hotel at all, the location is outstanding, the staff very professional and the revamp of the hotel top notch. We got a standard 2 beds room, the furniture, linens, carpeting, bath products, curtains were all very modern and high quality imho. The only part of the room that gave away the fact its not a new hotel was the bathtub, but it was still nice with new fittings. We had a great quiet stay, and the staff were very helpful, I would for sure stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone no questions asked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. I am glad to hear you were very comfortable in our guest room. Our location is conveniently located to both public transportation and many attractions in Washington, DC. I appreciate the compliment on our helpful associates - we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 24 h inbetween flights. Decent location, fresh but little plain interior. Not very thick walls/doors but was never bothered - guess it depends on your neighbours... Nothing to complain about really so could stay here again, but just nothing special that would stop me from trying another next time.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am glad to hear our hotel met your travel needs and you would consider staying with us again. I sincerely hope you return to the Washington Plaza in the future so that we may improve upon your impression of our hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I called the hotel the day before arrival and spoke with Monica who was very interested in our visit and made notes about our visit - thanks Monica!! On arrival at the hotel from walking through the front door to checking in with Rachael to the housekeeping staff to the restaurant staff - we all noticed how friendly and polite everyone was! We booked two rooms - one for my friend celebrating her 40th birthday and one for me and my husband celebrating his 50th birthday. On arrival both rooms were upgraded to suites - we also got rooms facing the pool area so the view of Thomas Circle was great - thank you! Although we arrived early at the hotel (10am on Saturday) expecting to have to put our luggage into storage we got both rooms immediately - what a delightful surprise. The rooms were very spacious and the decor bright and modern - also very clean!! We had no problems with noise despite the hotel being fully sold out and being near to the elevator! The hotel is in a great location to all the major sightseeing attractions in DC and also close to the Metro which made getting around easy. The breakfast at No 10 on Sunday morning was very nice and great value for money for the main buffet! Thanks to Rachael and the management and staff at Washington Plaza for making this special celebration a stay to remember.

Room Tip: Request a view of the pool area - great location!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Harv and Les C
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be so friendly and accommodating. It's wonderful to hear that they were able to upgrade you to suites with great views of Thomas Circle and our pool. I’m also delighted to learn that you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the breakfast from the Ten Thomas Restaurant. We hope this experience brings you back to stay with us upon your return to Washington, DC.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel online based on a few reviews and mainly the location for a long birthday weekend. (6 blocks behind the Whitehouse) It was basically a steal for $70 a night!

First when we arrived at the front desk exceptionally wonderful and personable service was provided. We told him it was my birthday and we got upgraded to a higher floor. It was so sweet!

The Room- Spacious and Modern with all of the conveniences of a good hotel room. Wonderful bath area. High end shampoos and soaps were a plus! Great view of Thomas Circle.

This hotel is within walking distance in each direction of everything we wanted to see... Georgetown, the Whitehouse, the Smithsonian Museums, etc!

Restaurants were a little iffy in the area... we did head out towards Georgetown the second night and found some amazing places. (Georgetown Cupcakes)

All in all- I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your birthday weekend! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, our convenient location and the high floor upgrade. I was pleased to read you found the room modern and spacious and you loved our amenities. We strive to give great service to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Fairbank, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The room was clean but small. We eat at the resturant twice and we really enjoyed the meals. We were in walking distance to most of the attractions which was very convenient. We had one problem with our own car that was parked below the hotel. The pipes above our car leaked some sort of lime/calcium deposit on it. It was real hard to get off. The only thing that would work was CLR cleaner.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the delicious meals from the Ten Thomas Restaurant. However, I am so sorry to hear about the issue with your car and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.