“The best hotel of our trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
West Malling, England, United Kingdom
“The best hotel of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We loved this hotel, from the friendly staff to the excellent breakfast. Our room was on the top floor and the lift very slow however that did not spoil the experience.
The hotel was easy to get to using the Metro and was within walking distance of all the sights, as long as you are used to walking. Lots of very good local restaurants and a buzzy feeling to the local area.
The wine reception each evening was a real bonus and we met lots of nice people and dogs.
The staff were very helpful in organising our transfer to the airport.
We will hopefully return.

1 Thank Jennifer L
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Hi Jennifer L,

Thank you for your personal testimonial. Sounds like a pretty awesome stay. I love hearing stories where guests take advantage of our location and DC's world class mass transit system, metro. As for the elevators, we're in process of fully modernizing them. The renovation will take some time, but once complete they will operate more efficiently.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Andover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

1. The staff put my bag in another customers car while they were supposed to be holding it for me until I checked in. The hotel was extremely lucky these people called to tell them they had my bag in NY since the hotel had NO idea where my bag had gone. I arrived on a Friday and did not get my bag until Monday, the day before we left. The staff and management were terrible about this. They acted like they didn't care at all. Horrible. Truly horrible.

2. Dog barking across the hall in morning. Manager told me to call when this happens. I would have, but the phone by the bed was broken.

3. Bizarre rolling barn door for bathroom. No soundproofing and very noisy to close.

4. The. Elevators...oh my...the lines and wait was so long people started arguing with each other. We felt trapped in the elevator when 2 coupkes started having words. We took the stairs from then on, but not everyone can do this.

5. Service was just poor all around. Really. Stay somewhere else...anywhere else.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the rooms near stairwells. Everyone is using them because of the terrible ele...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MaryHogan
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Hello MaryHogan,

Thank you for your review. Yikes, I'm sorry for your experience. The lost bag is inexcusable, albeit an honest mistake. Our elevators are currently in the process of being modernized, which will extend through the later part of the year. As for room design, I have good news to report that the Hotel will be undergoing a Rooms Renovation likely starting in December of this year. I feel terrible you experienced so many issues at my Hotel. Would you be so kind to contact me directly? I want to make this up to you if possible.

I hope to hear from you.

Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Our family stayed here recently and the reception staff and doormen were very nice especially Nabil and the front desk assistant manager (Rachel?). The rooms are the biggest we had stayed in on our 4 week trip and were great. As others have stated the lifts were so slow we ended up using the stairs most of the time as it was quicker, glad we were on the 3rd floor and good for burning off some of the great food we had in the area. The selection of restaurants in the area is great, I recommend that you download the Tripadvisor app for Washington DC which points you in the right direction of any of the restaurants in the area along with reviews. The hotel is in a great location and we had no problem walking around Washington and it's sites, the Whitehouse was only a short walk away and the area felt very safe at night. Overall I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 5KiwisinOz
Hi lindakellyfisler,

Thank you for your review. I see you took advantage of our Evening Hosted Wine Reception. It's an awesome amenity and super popular. If I do say so myself, Bagels ETC is pretty awesome! Salmon lox for the win,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I'm a recent Kimpton convert. Not entirely converted. Currently straddling the lines of loyalty between Starwood and Kimpton. I can say with great assurance that Kimpton's InnerCircle (the high status within their InTouch loyalty program) is pretty snazzy. While you don't accumulate "points" to use at properties around the world, you do get some pretty awesome amenities during your stay. Be sure to sign up for InTouch as it gets you free internet with every stay.

My recent stay was four nights on business. My InnerCircle status got my upgraded to a Motion Spa room. Much to my surprise, the expansive room came complete with a huge Japanese-style whirlpool tub (complete with Aveda bath salts) AND a stationary bike in the room. I could’ve comfortably stayed in this room for days. Too bad I had to work. The room was clean and well-kept. The power strip built into the desk was busted. I reported this to the staff. They assured me it would be fixed. It was never fixed, which was a bummer bc it led me to do some fancy cord-rigging so I could plug in my laptop to work at the desk.

Love the Etro bath amenities (take a set or two of these home with you for stays at hotels with lesser quality bath products).

The staff is friendly, helpful and very clearly focused on ensuring guests have a positive experience (minus my power strip challenge).

Like all Kimpton properties, the lobby hosts the late afternoon wine reception. Each afternoon it was so crowded that I couldn’t make my way about to get a glass of wine, much less sit and enjoy it. I wish they could find a better set up for this, bc it’s a key part of why I like to stay with Kimtpon.

I’ll be back (really, I will, stay booked for last week of May).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark M
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi MarkyMarkTXNYC,

Thanks for your review. I think I just responded to the same on another channel? Nonetheless, I appreciate you posting your positive experience on multiple online review sites. Spreading the good word, is a good thing.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Very well appointed hotel with fantastically helpful staff who could not have been more helpful. the location was a very convenient 5 minute walk from Du Pont Circle Metro station and the hotel is surround by good places to eat and several supermarkets. The hotel restaurant was also excellent and the free wifi was useful. Highly recommend for a Washington visit

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew D
Hi Andrew D,

Thank you for your review. What an awesome stay. I can see you really took advantage of our location. In the heart of Dupont Circle, you can reach all cool neighborhoods in DC, not to mention the Metro being right within walking distance. Appreciate you sharing with the traveling community.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I are big fans of the Kimpton Palomar in Philadelphia so when we were headed to DC we decided give this location a try for two nights in late April. It was a pretty disappointing stay.

When we arrived, the valet area in front of the hotel was completely full of cars with one attendant working. We had to circle the block several times before there was a space to leave our car to valet. Unacceptable for a $65/n service.

We waited another 15 minutes to check in. And then we found out about the elevators. Ohhh, the elevators. Three small elevators with one down for maintenance is simply not enough to service this hotel. It sounds like a really small annoyance, but you would wait at least 10 minutes any time you wanted to take the elevator. And coming down from the 10th floor meant stopping at all the floors along the way, cramming as many people in as possible for fear it might be another 10 minutes before you had another chance. A note from the manager in the room explained the elevator situation - but it was dated from January! You can't tell me that it takes 3+ months to renovate elevators. Just crazy.

The room was big but not really an efficient use of space. A huge amount of space between the bed and the dresser, yet the bathroom door only opened 1/3rd of the way because it crashed into the toilet. Seems poorly planned. The walls were pretty thin, so you could definitely hear doors closing all around you.

Getting our car pulled up for valet upon our departure was a similarly chaotic experience. The valet card says to call 30 minutes before you need the car, but we ended up waiting an additional 40 minutes at the curb with no explanation of what was the source of the hold up.

We wont be staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor so you can take the stairs and avoid the elevator disaster.
3 Thank gco87
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello gco87,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear your stay was disappointing. Sounds like a very rough time on the in and out with our Valet Operations Team. I will be sure to share this feedback with them. We are in a rather busy season, but normally handle the arrival experience very well. Additionally, our elevators are indeed being renovated, or more properly stated modernized. The modernization process does take approximately 3 months per lift. I agree, its rather slow, but it is a necessary process. Hopefully you will return to us after the project is completed.

St. Helena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel due to the location, the amenities, and the overwhelming positive reviews. Well, I have to say that I can see the allure, BUT this hotel seemed EXTREMELY packed, and as such it was completely unacceptable that they had elevators not running due to repairs (and the ones that ARE working are very small.) If I had known this, I wouldn't have booked a room there.

The non-functional elevators resulted in 15-minute waits for a single elevator trip, and situations with people forcing their way onto the elevators, overcrowding them and smashing each other into the walls... a fistfight almost broke out at one point.

Unacceptable, and I would advise staying against there until situation is resolved.

Also, the hotel seems in need of some maintenance/updating -- wallpaper warped and peeling from walls and other run-down appearances. Bed was comfy and room was clean, though.

Room Tip: The budget rooms are fairly small. The beds are reasonable (good size and comfy), but the rooms are...
2 Thank mediaguru
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi mediaguru,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. The elevators are currently being modernized, which is also apart of a much larger renovation. I apologize it impacted your stay, but unfortunately the work is unavoidable. Once complete, we will move on to renovating the Hotel Guest Rooms and Corridors. Hopefully you can return to us after these updates are complete? I would love to personally arrange that future stay for you.