“Airport taxi”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Have stayed in Kimpton hotels before so new what to expect. The hotel and staff were excellent as was the location with good local restaurants. The room was very comfortable as well. The hotel booked us a taxi to take us back to the airport ( Dulles) we were a bit annoyed that it turned out to be a " private hire " cab which charged us $75 for the ride instead of the $ 60 that the taxi charged us on the way to the hotel. On top of this the driver never stopped talking. A minor point I know but just felt we were being ripped off a bit!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank henmch
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for your positive review henmch. Thank you again for choosing to stay with Kimpton Hotels. Sorry to hear about you experience with the transportation. I will be sure to address my staff to let guest know rates of private cars before reserving for guest. On a side note, taking a Virginia cab to the hotel is always going to be a bit more expensive than taking a district cab back to the airport. Aside from this incident I hope you enjoyed your experience. Please come and see is again when you return to Washington. – Jerry Chou

Write a ReviewReviews (4,498)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Palomar is conveniently located for DC business, and is a typically 'modern' Kimpton hotel. Lots of design elements. But better than that, the rooms are enormous, the wi-fi is free and fast and they serve wine every evening at 5p. Great for the price. Friendly staff.
It's a little noisy - you can hear doors opening/closing, vehicles outside, running water. But not so bad that I didn't sleep.
I did not eat at the restaurant or in room dining, but I'm told it's good.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DMLehman6

Thank you for the good review DMLehman6. It is true that the Palomar DC is in a central location to all the main attractions and has some of the most spacious room in the District. We did also recently upgrade our hotels wifi so I am glad you notice the blazing speed which is perfect for business travelers as yourself. Please make sure to come stay with us again when business or pleasure bring you back to DC. –Jerry Chou

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Gorgeous hotel with a friendly staff. My room was an executive king, large and comfortable. I was on the 2nd floor over the lobby, so it was a little noisy. The neighborhood had great restaurants, if you can tear yourself away from the wine hour.

I wish I'd had longer to enjoy the amenities, but my time was packed.

I left a pretty important item behind and when I called, they retrieved and sent it to me immediately. That alone was worth the stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the positive review Janesports. Glad you enjoyed your experience. Sorry to hear you were not able to stay longer to enjoy all the hotels services. Make sure to return for a longer stay in the future, I will be sure to place you in a nice quiet room and we will be sure to make it a fantastic stay for you. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Palomar. – Jerry Chou

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We chose the Palomar after staying at the Baltimore Kimpton Hotel Monaco. That experience was so fantastic that staying with Kimpton again was a no-brainer. It took a while to choose which gorgeous Kimptons in the D.C. area we wanted, and we made a great choice. Dupont Circle is a terrific location and the Palomar is in the center of some great restaurants.

We arrived much earlier than the 3PM check-in time but were immediately shown to our room. The concierge had been alerted by Wanda, who had taken our reservation, that we were belatedly celebrating our 10th anniversary because I'd been very ill, and he welcomed us with very kind wishes and certificates for complimentary drinks.

The room itself, an Executive King, was huge, sunlit and spitless. The furnishings were streamlined and chic, the bed was very comfortable.

We dropped our bags, grabbed a quick nap and took off into D.C. When we returned to our room around 6, the staff had brought us not only the goldfish we'd requested, but also left us a bottle of champagne and dish of chocolate strawberries, along with a card wishing us a happy anniversary.

The stay was quiet and very comfortable, and when our door's key reader's battery died, Security arrived promptly and took us down to Urbana's bar for a drink while it was recharged. We mentioned that we were dining at Al Tiramisu later that evening, and when we arrived, we were greeted by Luigi the owner with glasses of prosecco, compliments of the Palomar. We were very thankful and touched by the very kind gesture.

Our train Sunday left Union Station at 4PM, and the Front Desk at the Palomar kindly kept our bags from 10:30, when we checked out, until 3.

Everyone, from the cheerful, knowledgeable and helpful Front Desk and Lobby Staff, to the conscientious Housekeeping and Security Departments, everyone at the Palomar bent over backwards to ensure we felt welcome, comfortable and pampered. It was a beautiful trip made more special by the wonderful Palomar folks.

• Stayed: November 2013
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review JBoisineau. I am so glad you chose to stay with us for your 10th Anniversary celebration. Thank you so much for the shout-out and recognition of our staff. It is fantastic to hear that the entire team and especially Philip and Wanda were able to make a huge impact on you stay. I will be sure to share your review with my staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon- Jerry Chou

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had the good fortune to score a job interview in D.C.'s Dupont Circle, and needed a nearby place to stay. Through Priceline, I ended up with the Palomar on P Street, and I couldn't have been more pleased.

The room wasn't overly large, but it was certainly on par with the rooms of most Marriott and Hilton properties. It was nicely appointed in a modern style, and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The only trouble I encountered in the room was that the stopper on the bathtub wasn't working, so I sat, half-wet and cold and shivering, waiting for the tub to fill...and then gave up and took a shower.

The location of this property is ideal--it's quiet, but it's just a short walk to Connecticut Avenue and Dupont Circle and all the fun things they have to offer! In extremely close proximity are a Starbucks, a good Mexican restaurant with a decent selection of microbrews (Criollos), a pho place and an Asian restaurant (Asia 54), so being well-fed isn't a concern (and don't miss Panas, just a block away, which is an inexpensive, creative Spanish/empanada joint with plenty of options for vegetarians and carnivores alike).

I wasn't thrilled about the lack of in-room coffeemaker, but it's easy enough to wander downstairs to fetch coffee in the morning (and, to be fair, you *could* have a coffeemaker sent up). I checked out the fitness center and was elated to find that it was not only clean and bright, but that it featured up-to-date cardio equipment and--wait for it--HULA HOOPS! It would've been nice to have in-room HBO or Showtime, but it wasn't a hardship not to--I'm just spoiled, I guess, by the big chain hotels that offer this regularly.

The evening happy hour/reception in the lobby is a lovely touch. There were plenty of appetizers (flatbread pizzas from the restaurant, olives, crackers and spreads) and lots of wine, in addition to a yummy-looking non-alcoholic beverage. The lobby itself is comfortable and inviting, so it didn't feel strange to sit there sipping a glass of wine before dinner.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again--the staff's friendliness and the quality of accommodations, coupled with its great location, make it a sure bet next time you're in D.C.!

Room Tip: Request a quiet room that faces the back of the building if you're sensitive to noise!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank christianneanastasia

Thank you for the good review christianneanastasia. We are pleased that you had an exceptional stay with us. The Hotel Palomar is centrally located just off DuPont Circle near most of the city’s main attractions. Glad you also had the opportunity to enjoy our infamous wine reception; it is always a fun experience to meet other visitors as yourself. Sorry to hear about your experience with the tub stopper, this is something that should not have happen and I apologize for the experience. Please contact me when you return to Washington, I will make sure it goes flawlessly for you - Jerry Chou

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed for 2 days in late summer for a short vacation. From the hotel, we visited the Smithsonian National Zoo and most of the war memorials. The hotel is located in a quaint area of DC. The hotel is an older, albeit classy hotel. We requested a quiet area of the hotel and the hotel delivered on the request. The room was quiet, cozy, and comfortable. The top feature of the Palomar in Washington D.C. was the staff service, in particular the Valet Service/Staff, a great bunch of guys! The only slight downside of the hotel was the chilly pool; not heated and does not receive a lot of sun because of the tall, close, buildings.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the fantastic review Olympia64. The Hotel Palomar is truly located in a great central location and is typically only a short walk or quick cab ride to many of the city’s main attraction. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our Bell, Door Valet team. They are all true professional at what they do and I appreciate the comment. I will be sure to share your experience with them. Make sure to come and stay with us again when you return to the Nation’s Capital - Jerry Chou

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Palomar in D.C. was fantastic. First, the staff is EXTREMELY friendly and welcoming. We were on a short family vacation to celebrate our twins' 16th birthday, and found a beautiful box with four cupcakes from a local cupcake bakery waiting for us in the room, along with birthday wishes. THANK YOU HEATHER!!! The room (executive double) was spacious, stylish and comfortable. The workout facility is very good. The wine hour--as in all Kimptons--is a great way to create guest loyalty--it's fun and a nice way to end the afternoon. The bellmen were super friendly and took care of our luggage and ordered us a car that was waiting for us when we got back after a day of sightseeing on the way to the airport. The location is excellent. I have stayed at the Monaco in D.C. and while I like it very much as well, I give this hotel the edge for friendliness and comfort. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the wonderful review westerngirl. We are so glad you chose to stay with us to celebrate your twins 16th Birthday. Thank you so much for the shout-out and recognition of our staff. It is fantastic to hear that Heather was able to make a huge impact on you stay. I will be sure to share your review with my staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon- Jerry Chou