“Exceptional Hospitality in Dupont Circle!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Bethlehem PA
“Exceptional Hospitality in Dupont Circle!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had the good fortune to score a job interview in D.C.'s Dupont Circle, and needed a nearby place to stay. Through Priceline, I ended up with the Palomar on P Street, and I couldn't have been more pleased.

The room wasn't overly large, but it was certainly on par with the rooms of most Marriott and Hilton properties. It was nicely appointed in a modern style, and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The only trouble I encountered in the room was that the stopper on the bathtub wasn't working, so I sat, half-wet and cold and shivering, waiting for the tub to fill...and then gave up and took a shower.

The location of this property is ideal--it's quiet, but it's just a short walk to Connecticut Avenue and Dupont Circle and all the fun things they have to offer! In extremely close proximity are a Starbucks, a good Mexican restaurant with a decent selection of microbrews (Criollos), a pho place and an Asian restaurant (Asia 54), so being well-fed isn't a concern (and don't miss Panas, just a block away, which is an inexpensive, creative Spanish/empanada joint with plenty of options for vegetarians and carnivores alike).

I wasn't thrilled about the lack of in-room coffeemaker, but it's easy enough to wander downstairs to fetch coffee in the morning (and, to be fair, you *could* have a coffeemaker sent up). I checked out the fitness center and was elated to find that it was not only clean and bright, but that it featured up-to-date cardio equipment and--wait for it--HULA HOOPS! It would've been nice to have in-room HBO or Showtime, but it wasn't a hardship not to--I'm just spoiled, I guess, by the big chain hotels that offer this regularly.

The evening happy hour/reception in the lobby is a lovely touch. There were plenty of appetizers (flatbread pizzas from the restaurant, olives, crackers and spreads) and lots of wine, in addition to a yummy-looking non-alcoholic beverage. The lobby itself is comfortable and inviting, so it didn't feel strange to sit there sipping a glass of wine before dinner.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again--the staff's friendliness and the quality of accommodations, coupled with its great location, make it a sure bet next time you're in D.C.!

Room Tip: Request a quiet room that faces the back of the building if you're sensitive to noise!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank christianneanastasia
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for the good review christianneanastasia. We are pleased that you had an exceptional stay with us. The Hotel Palomar is centrally located just off DuPont Circle near most of the city’s main attractions. Glad you also had the opportunity to enjoy our infamous wine reception; it is always a fun experience to meet other visitors as yourself. Sorry to hear about your experience with the tub stopper, this is something that should not have happen and I apologize for the experience. Please contact me when you return to Washington, I will make sure it goes flawlessly for you - Jerry Chou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Elmira, New York
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed for 2 days in late summer for a short vacation. From the hotel, we visited the Smithsonian National Zoo and most of the war memorials. The hotel is located in a quaint area of DC. The hotel is an older, albeit classy hotel. We requested a quiet area of the hotel and the hotel delivered on the request. The room was quiet, cozy, and comfortable. The top feature of the Palomar in Washington D.C. was the staff service, in particular the Valet Service/Staff, a great bunch of guys! The only slight downside of the hotel was the chilly pool; not heated and does not receive a lot of sun because of the tall, close, buildings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the fantastic review Olympia64. The Hotel Palomar is truly located in a great central location and is typically only a short walk or quick cab ride to many of the city’s main attraction. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our Bell, Door Valet team. They are all true professional at what they do and I appreciate the comment. I will be sure to share your experience with them. Make sure to come and stay with us again when you return to the Nation’s Capital - Jerry Chou
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Palomar in D.C. was fantastic. First, the staff is EXTREMELY friendly and welcoming. We were on a short family vacation to celebrate our twins' 16th birthday, and found a beautiful box with four cupcakes from a local cupcake bakery waiting for us in the room, along with birthday wishes. THANK YOU HEATHER!!! The room (executive double) was spacious, stylish and comfortable. The workout facility is very good. The wine hour--as in all Kimptons--is a great way to create guest loyalty--it's fun and a nice way to end the afternoon. The bellmen were super friendly and took care of our luggage and ordered us a car that was waiting for us when we got back after a day of sightseeing on the way to the airport. The location is excellent. I have stayed at the Monaco in D.C. and while I like it very much as well, I give this hotel the edge for friendliness and comfort. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the wonderful review westerngirl. We are so glad you chose to stay with us to celebrate your twins 16th Birthday. Thank you so much for the shout-out and recognition of our staff. It is fantastic to hear that Heather was able to make a huge impact on you stay. I will be sure to share your review with my staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon- Jerry Chou
Santa Fe, N.M.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night while on business and visiting family and really enjoyed it. My room (called an In Motion room) was huge. In fact it was two separate room with an elipitical running machine and flat screen t.v. In one room down a short hallway from the rest of the room. The bathroom had a huge soaking tub, with complimentary bath salts. The king bed was awesome and the view toward Embassy Row was good. I'm an In Touch member, and it appeared that I got this excellent room simply by virtue of being an In Touch member. I only was able to have breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, but it was very good. The service was excellent, as it always is at Kimpton properties. The exercise facility was decent-sized, with several treadmills, elipiticals, and bikes as well as free weights and a bench. The lobby area is beautiful and a joy to come back to on a cold, rainy November day. I would highly recommend this Kimpton property, and I would give it the edge over the other Kimpton hotels that are in the DuPont Circle area.

Room Tip: Ask for an In Motion room on the 9th floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay and I have to say it was fabulous. Everything from the greeting we received on arrival (at 11pm) I might add, to the friendly and helpful staff was fantastic. This boutique hotel is a jem. Great location, lovely rooms and the beds are to die for.. I was travelling
with 2 other girls, first time for all 3 of us in Washington and our stay was made all the sweeter
by our choice of this hotel.. I would definitely stay there again...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gingerh68
Thank you so much for the fantastic review Gingerh68. We are thrilled you chose our hotel and had a great time. We just recently placed brand new beds into all of our rooms so I am glad you we got your seal of approval for the comfort of the beds. Make sure to come and stay with us again when you return to Washington, we will be sure to make it another fantastic stay. - Jerry Chou
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Six nights for business. Everything went great: room, conference room, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Two minutes to DuPont Circle, walking distance to other places in DC. They even have a happy hour 5PM every day, serving great wine and crackers. Definitely a place to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marcel-Buh
Tidewater Virginia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent one night at the Palomar Dupont Circle as we were going to the Kennedy Center. We had an absolutely beautiful suite for which we paid a hefty price (we stay at Kimpton Hotels often, so I know when the hotel is reasonably priced and when it is expensive. This room was way actually more expensive than the lovely suite we had just came from in NYC). But it was worth the price as it was fabulously decorated. The room was not ready upon arrival, which was fine because we got to see a great Van Gogh exhibit at the nearby Phillips Collection (very worthwhile no matter how many Van Gogh shows you have seen). The real problem was that the suite had an adjoining room (hate those) with a dog that barked non-stop from 8:15 am until we checked out at 11:00 am. Horrible. When I mentioned it at check-out, the clerk was only sorry for the dog. Me too actually. I understand this is a hotel chain that caters to animal owners...but I get to sleep-in so seldom that this was a huge disappointment. The breakfast the following morning just out and out bad. The dining room needs a major renovation..very worse for wear. So my advice is to avoid the beautiful, expensive suites with adjoining rooms and barking dogs. And good luck with that!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback eastcoastvoyager. We take comments from people like you very seriously. It’s upsetting to hear the not so good stuff but it is an opportunity for us to learn from our mistakes and improve. So sorry about the experience you had with the barking dog. This situation you encountered at our hotel is pretty rare but still does not make it acceptable. I am sorry to hear that it disturbed your night of rest. Please keep my contact and let me know when you return to Washington, I will be sure to make it a flawless stay for you. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Palomar. –Jerry Chou