Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #38 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Palomar was a great place for my husband and teenager to spend a few days in DC. We were looking at colleges and it was pouring the rain, but the staff offered umbrellas and went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. We were 'stranded' at American University and it was raining like cats and dogs and we could not find a cab. I finally called the Palomar and they haggled with a taxi driver to come pick us up. Phillip, the concierge, even paid the guy to come get us. That was customer service beyond my expectations and we could not have been more appreciative. Way to go Palomar. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,496)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great hotel, location perfect, being close to bars and restaurants. Staff helpful and friendly even sorted out a limo to take us back to the airport. They had a happy hour 5-6 each evening and gave out free wine. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Washington and I am sure they would not be disappointed

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great hotel. Friendly & helpful staff. Dog Friendly. Great location. I would definitely return.

Only a couple of negatives... First, the complimentary breakfast is nothing special. It is in the connected Restaurat called Urbana. It is the same thing everyday. Pancakes, cereals & a very low end fruit salad (98% melon). No real protein to be found.

The second demerit is for the quality of the Room Service food (from the same restaurant that provides breakfast, Urbana). It was pricey and just plain bad.

Not a fan of the Urbana connection. On day 3, just out of curiosity, I asked the host if I could see if the food happened to be different for breakfast, he said OK. I went to look... He followed me like I was a suspected breakfast thief. I saw it was no different. So I thought "No thanks, Buster. It's the same bad spread as yesterday." I promptly left with the suspicious host hot on my tail.

Aside from the food, which there are many great options in the area, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neotone1
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Second visit to DC first stay at Palomar and first time in a Kimpton and it was all very successful. After an initial glitch with the room we were soon moved to a larger one . The hotel is well located with restaurants and bars close by. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and patient especially with my train booking (many thanks Gordon). We wholeheartedly agree with other guests about breakfast happy hour etc in fact in our experience it was a faultless stay and we would recommend the hotel to anyone and will certainly stay again when we revisit the city. Thanks to everyone who made our first three days and nights stateside such a great experience .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review JuliestaffordshireUK! We are glad that you enjoyed your experience and thank you so much for recognizing our staff' and giving Mr. Gordon a shout out. I will be sure to share your comments with him and i am sure he will be very pleased. Makes sure to come stay with us again when you return to DC-Jerry Chou

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked at the Palomar for a last minute business trip when none of my usual DC hotels were available. I was very pleasantly surprised at how great it was. Location is close to lots of restaurants and bars. Georgetown is also a short stroll away. The staff are very friendly and helpful. There was a party going on in the room next me. I called the front desk at 10:15 pm to complain and within 5 minutes the security guard and a second staff person were at the door of the room in question to deal with the issue. It was quickly resolved!

The complimentary wine and snacks from 5-6 is great (good Californian wine) and the complimentary coffee and tea in the morning is a really nice touch

I got upgraded to a large king room which was nicely decorated and had everything i needed and then some (loved the animal print robe). It was very clean and the bed and multiple pillows were super comfortable! I ordered room service for breakfast. The food arrived on time and was freshly made, piping hot and tasty. The 20% mandatory gratuity and $5 delivery fee were too high though

I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tina_in_Ottawa
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for the great review Tina_in_Ottawa. We are glad you discovered our hotel and noticed the great location it is in. We'd love to make this your home away from home when staying in Washington. Make sure you come and see us again soon.-Jerry Chou

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stay here! My first time staying at a Kimpton and I will definitely be choosing Kimpton's from now on. We took Amtrak to DC and the hotel was a quick metro ride from Union Station and a quick walk from the DuPont metro - even in the rain and with luggage!

Check-in was quick and easy and all of the hotel perks were clearly explained to us (wine hour, coffee in the am, bikes to use, mini bar use, etc). We were even given two free drink coupons as we were celebrating my husbands birthday.

We were upgraded to a spa king room and the room was amazing! Much larger than I was expecting - we had a lovely sitting area with a couch and chair, in addition to the pullout desk, and a giant walk-in closet (giant... with hanging room on both sides and a floor length mirror allowing us to keep everything in there and out of the way in the room). The bathroom and the bed were the highlights. The bathroom had two sliding doors, one to enter and the other that opened to a cut out over the bathtub! This cutout was great because I was able to watch College Gameday through it while I was getting ready in the morning and added a romantic touch when we were on the tub or in bed. We had a huge 2-person spa tub and a separate shower. Since it was a rainy for most of the weekend, we made good use of the tub - had 2 benches to sit on and was jetted. The bath salts were a nice addition to the other array of products, lotions, body washes, etc. in the bathroom. The bed was insanely comfortable - everything from the pillows to the faux fur blanket..... I want to sleep in that bed all the time!

I must give a huge shoutout to all the staff - they were amazing and incredibly friendly, from remembering it was my husbands birthday to asking how our day was to sending Shout wipes to the room when I spilt coffee on my suede shoes. A huge, huge thank you to Phillip, the concierge! He was wonderful and made our weekend wonderful - he's very knowledgeable and went out of his way to make our weekend special. I had called him a week before we arrived to let him know I was surprising my husband with this trip and wanted restaurant recommendations. We emailed back and forth many times, he probably made us 5-6 different reservations and made really great recommendations after asking what we liked, wanted, etc. He had a cheese/meat platter, bottle of champagne and even some DC craft beers waiting in our room upon our arrival (and a note wishing my husband a happy birthday). He also called to check in on us after our arrival. Seriously, it's the extra attention to detail and the little extras that made this hotel stand out.

Little extras in the room were fantastic and much appreciated - from the animal print robes (we loved them and wore them all weekend), the umbrella, the yoga mat, the hot pink velvet couch, the artwork.........

You can't beat the location - we walked everywhere we could when it wasn't raining! Even the walk back from the White House was direct and easy! Had a liquor store and CVS right up the road. The hotel was artsy and trendy, beautiful artwork, lots of texture and bold colors incorporated into the decor. Only disappointments were that we didn't get to make use of the hotel bikes (because of the weather) and that there wasn't much to do in terms of sightseeing since the government was shutdown (but that didn't put a damper on anything).

Side note: Jack Rose Dining Saloon (especially if you are a whiskey drinker), Tabard Inn for brunch and Lincoln were great dining picks!

Can't wait to come back! I would stay here again over the Ritz in DuPont (also a lovely hotel and you can read my review of it) because of the service, the staff and the overall theme/decor of the hotel/rooms.

Room Tip: The spa king room is worth the extra money - huge seating area, huge walk-in closet, amazing jetted...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alison K

Nothing like a weekend getaway in one of our luxurious King Spa room! Thank you for the great review Kellymenglish. We are so pleased you enjoyed your husbands birthday weekend stay with us. I really appreciate the shout out for Philip too. He is truly one of a kind and I will be sure to share your review with him. Come see us again soon -Jerry Chou

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed for 4 days at the start of a trip to a number of states. Couldn't fault it. Location was within easy walking distance from all the main tourist attractions but far enough out to avoid the hustle & bustle. We also walked into Georgetown a couple of times & had some great meals ($6 for the taxi back)
The staff were very friendly, attentive & professional. It was my husband's birthday a few days after we were due to leave Palomar and they gave us a bottle of wine & a lovely cheeseboard as a little celebration. Very thoughful.
Room was cleam & comfy with quirky decor. We only had breakfast there but it wasas good as you'd expect.
We'd definitlet stay there again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Calwilkie

Thank you for the wonderful review calwilkie. Glad to hear that we were able to get your state side trip and your husband's birthday celebration off on the right foot. We appreciate the kind word about our staff. Make sure to reach out and come see us again when you return to the states -Jerry Chou