“Trying too hard”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Trying too hard”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I love charming and cool little boutique hotels -- like the Artus in Paris or the Zetter in London. This is NOT that type of hotel. From the writeups and reviews of the Palomar, it sounded similar - but it falls short. The hotel isn't bad -- the decor is forced and overdone -- trying too hard to be cool and missing the mark. The rooms are small but comfortable. Rooms look and feel more like a mid-range Hyatt or Hilton than a cool boutique hotel - In my opinion, putting animal print clothing for sale in the closet (how odd!) doesn't make a cookie-cutter, chain-style room stylish. But the rooms did have some key amenitites like a safe that can fit a laptop and a lighted magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Best thing in the hotel is the lounge behind the restaurant - comfortable with a nice wine list for late evening (though Le Bar at the Sofitel Lafayette Square is much better - so not a reason to stay here). But, the thing that would keep me from ever staying at the Palomar again was the cheap shower head with almost no water pressure. I was only there 1 night for business, so I dealt with it and mentioned it upon checkout rather than trying to have it fixed - where I learned from the front desk staff that mine was not an isolated experience at all. I was told that it does happen and 'next time, call and we'll send an engineer to replace the shower head'. When I travel for business (well, for any reason) - knowing in advance to plan extra time to wait for an engineer so that I can shower is not my idea of a good hotel.

• Liked — location, good room basics (like the safe and magnifying mirror)
  • Disliked — bad shower, lack of style
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar the night of July 4th since we were in DC for the holiday fireworks. I had stayed at a previous Kimpton Hotel in DC last year (Hotel Helix), so I wanted to try Hotel Palomar and it was near an area that would allow us to sightsee.

We checked in on Friday afternoon and were greeted at the front desk by name. I appreciated that personal touch. We headed up to our King room on the 4th floor, with a nice view of the hotel pool. Our room had a bit of an entryway and great lighting throughout. We had a nice 'reclining' chair, and a big screen tv and desk across from the giant bed. The mattress & bedclothes were wonderfully comfy and plush.

We love that almost every light fixture was on a dimmer switch - even those in the bathroom. This was a great touch that helped us to relax after a long day of walking & sightseeing.

We did attend the wine reception in the hotel lobby, which was very enjoyable. The vibe in the hotel was very friendly and sociable, but be aware that if the hotel is busy, there are not enough seats/standing room for everyone in the lobby. We ended up sitting on some of the steps by the doors just to fit. It wasn't uncomfortable - only a little full. Get there early if you want to sit on a chair or love seat.

The staff was very friendly overall, although there was one instance when we were not acknowledged very quickly at the front desk since staff were talking to each other about their own weekend plans. This did not deter from my overall opinion, however, since other staff made up for this disinterest.

Even after we checked out, we were able to leave our bags at the bell desk until we wanted them, and that is a much appreciated amenity in this city!

We also highly recommend the crepe restaurant across the street - Crepes a go-go! They have sweet & savory crepes, coffee, drinks & gelato. They stay open late and their counter staff was friendly also.

A great stay and a great holiday!

• Liked — The room was sophisticated yet comfortable, as is the hotel as a whole
  • Disliked — We waited a good while for the elevators, and ended up taking the stairs more often than not
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed at the hotel over the July 4th weekend and couldn't ask for anything better. From the valet staff to the concierge, people were very friendly and willing to help out in any way they could. Our room was beautifully decorated with a very modern boutique feel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay at this hotel in the heart of Dupont Circle again on our next visit to our country's capital!

• Liked — The Wine Reception each evening
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wine923
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Stayed there for 4 nights while my husband was on a business trip. We had our room changed 3 times. The first, they put us in a real dark dungeon, on the bottom floor in a handicap room accessible room. It was so dark I fell over a chair while the bellman was there. The second room was on the conference level and you could here people coming in and out of the conference rooms, talking.... it was nuts. The 3rd room was fine. It had a veiw of the parking lot, btu I got the piece and quite I neede. The happy hour was great every day at 5.00. It gave us something to look forward to after a long day of being a tourista. Great location. Lots of places to eat and get food delivered. We ate at the hotel restaurant twice. Once for dinner, and then b'fast. B'fast was a waste of money. But t he dinner was actually nice. You would think you were in L.A. the staff there are a bit of a snob...a lot of them.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank SanMogal
iowa
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We loved the Palomar. We booked a room on Hotwire for our family and weren't sure just how kid friendly this place would be. When we checked in, they came around the desk and opened a box full of goodies and let the kids pick something out. Then they gave us a coupon to call room service and have cookies and milk sent up from room service. The kids loved the hotel. The lobby was always full of energy and great tunes. (Don't miss the wine and beer every night in the lobby.) The room was very clean and spacious. I actually felt like I could go barefoot on the plush carpet. The decor was great and the beds were very comfy. We actually extended our stay for an extra night.

The location was excellent. There are excellent restaurants right across the street for breakfast or dinner, the metro was just a short walk and it was in a great neighborhood. I never felt uncomfortable. We were able to find parking within a block or two each day.

Staying here was the cherry on top of a great vacation!

• Liked — the energy, decor and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, July 9, 2008
Hello Lilj84.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Palomar during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy that you brought your whole family and that the children truly enjoyed themselves. The treats from the front desk are a welcome surprise and just one way we can recognize children and how special they are! For more information on the programs Kimpton offers, such as Kimpton Kid’s, please visit us online.

Thank you and have a nice day! I hope to see you and your family again soon!
New Jersey
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Everything that everyone says about the location is true. The hotel is easy to get to and close to mass transit. There are loads of fun things right in the neighborhood including a Sunday morning farmer’s market between the hotel and DuPont Circle. The hotel is stylish and the staff is friendly and helpful. I stayed there with my young niece and nephew. Upon arrival, the desk clerk gave the kids coupons for complimentary cookies and milk from room service. This was nice touch and made up for the fact that they were out of welcome kits for children. It was also representative of our stay – there were glitches, but the staff took care of them gracefully.

I requested a room with 2 beds, but when I went up to the room there was a king size bed. When we went back downstairs the desk clerk told me that there were no more rooms with two beds in the price class I had reserved. After some searching she found the note that promised me 2 beds, following which she upgraded the room at no charge. The charge did find its way onto my bill, but at check-out, the staff reversed it.

• Liked — The refreshing decor
  • Disliked — The noisy hallways
Stayed June 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 29, 2008

my wife and i stayed here for a long week and we even brought our chihuahua with us; since kimpton hotels are pet friendly.

the hotel lobby is beautiful and well decorated. our room was very roomy and decorated funky yet modern.

the staff was very friendly and helpful, and doormen always greeted us with a smile upon entry and exit.

everyday b/n 5-6 pm they hosted a free wine and beer social in the lobby. it was a nice opportunity to meet other guests and get ideas on where to go and what to do.

our stay in DC was great and this location is perfect. a block away from Dupont Circle with great restaurants, patios, and lounges steps away. Georgetown is also very close, just a short walk through the park, or straight down P street through a cute neighborhood.

definitely would stay here again.

• Liked — location, quality, price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple