“Fantastic stay at a wonderful property!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just finished a stay at the Palomar in Washington, DC, and I couldn't be happier with it.

The hotel is located in Dupont, which is an excellent neighborhood with great restaurants but within very close proximity to Downtown DC. The lobby is quite dark but has a very chic and fun appeal to it-- trendy but unpretentious is how I would describe it.

As an Inner Circle member (i.e., a frequent guest of Kimpton properties) I have come to appreciate the incredible commitment to customer service which Kimpton properties provide, and this one was a prime example. I arrived quite late on a Thursday night, and was greeted by several people. They were doting and very kind to me, and I felt extremely special. Additionally, given my Inner Circle status I was provided a beautiful cheese and grapes plate and a bottle of wine, and was upgraded from a basic room to the beautiful Spa Suite. The suite is absolutely amazing, and a true destination in itself. It features two rooms (a bedroom and a desk/couch/TV room), and a beautiful bathroom with a large soaking spa tub. I was in town on business and certainly appreciated the ability to relax so comfortably here.

I was particularly tended to by front desk manager Jerry, along with Candace (sp?). Jerry was kind enough to provide me a late check-out which allowed me to shower after my business meeting and attend to a very important personal function in the evening-- this was most appreciated!

My only regret was that I was not with my significant other to share in the beautiful stay-- with this in mind I will be sure to return for a personal trip.

Post-stay I had a follow-up question regarding my stay and Cornelia was most helpful as well.

All in all, superb service, and really made me feel like a VIP. Will be sure to continue to be a loyal Kimpton member and am looking forward to return stays at the Palomar.

Room Tip: The Spa Suite is most beautiful, and if available is certainly worth the cost increase for a recreat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank StevenDS83

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Very pleased with this hotel and only just missed out on a five star rating in my opinion. I thought the service was very friendly and helpful with our issues and questions. The hotel was easy to find and it is only a five to seven minutes walk to the nearest Metro station. On our first day we walked to the White House which took us just over thirty minutes. There is plenty of places to eat within walking distance. The building and interior was nicely decked out and the room a good size. Our view was of a car park but we spent most of our time outside and so not an issue. Never used the TV so cannot comment on that but we were in DC to view the sights and explore not sit and watch program's. The price we got was fair and the breakfasts suited us as they were continental, fruit and bread products. We did not try the wine tasting but it appeared very popular. The only real negative was that the shower was basic. The hotel did not blow me away but lived up to my expectation.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We usually stay in Kimpton hotels and this hotel met and exceeded the standard we have come to expect. The staff were - as always - very friendly and helpful, from the bellhops to Candice and Colleen at reception everyone greeted us on each entry to the hotel with a smile and a hello. A special thank you has to go to Philip the concierge who helped organise our shopping trip! The hotel is in a good location, it's so easy to walk round the city - 15 minutes from the White House, 20 minutes from the Mall with all the Smithsonian museums and a few minutes from the Metro at Dupont Circle. Our room was a good size for us and well maintained by Sokha but being on the 10th floor, the slow lifts were a bit of a nuisance. We liked the buffet breakfast, it was nice to be able to eat as much or as little of what you fancied.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingScotThommo
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for a 3 day visit and found the hotel to be in a great location. Walking distance to most attractions- 15 minutes from the White House. Metro station is a 2 minute walk away- we only used metro once to travel to Foggy Bottom which was a great day starting with JFJ centre. Hotel has a basement bar which is a vibrant end to a great day

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I usually stay at Hotel Monaco (another Kimpton) when visiting DC, but on this trip I stayed at Palomar because it was more convenient to the Kennedy Center, where I attended an event. The Palomar is a pretty typical Kimpton, and I believe it was recently renovated. A few observations:
1. Check in and front desk were fine and friendly.
2. Elevators were very slow--all guests were complaining about this.
3. The restaurant, Urbana, has good points but food and service are uneven and the coffee was dreadful.
4. It was difficult to find taxis at times and the bell staff weren't always very helpful.
5. The area can be quite noisy especially if your room is in the front and on a lower floor.
But on the whole it was pretty much what I've come to expect from a Kimpton, a chain that I use a lot. Free morning coffee in the lobby (why the free coffee was good and the restaurant coffee was undrinkable is a mystery), the usual complimentary wine hour, clean and stylish rooms, and attentive staff. A good choice near Dupont Circle.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Barb1976
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Spent a great week in DC seeing all the sites. Stayed in a double queen room at the Palomar with the family. The staff wer very friendly and helpful in directing us to the subway, nearby restaurants, etc. Rooms were big and spacious, very clean, and we got cheap rates through expedia, which made it very good value for money. Didn't indulge in complimentary drinks and nibbles in the evening, but plenty of guests did. There was also tea/coffee available in the mornings. Didn't eat in the restaurant either but it was always busy, which is usually a god sign. I strongly recommend the mexican restaurant across the road for sunday brunch - food was excellent, with bottomless mojitos or bloody marys, and they didn't skimp on the vodka! The hotel is also just a short walk to the subway. All up a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Wozzie_12
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The staff is very helpful and pleasant. The room was nice, but the animal print bathrobes are not the best. I enjoy having a desk to work at and the room was spacious. Breakfast across the street has great bagels -- but bring cash there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business